The Motus: V4 Sport Touring Bike, US Made

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Fazer1Sniper, Feb 26, 2010.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Duccmann and I went to the Motus dealer today. He came by so I could help him install his rebuilt shock he got back from Jamie Daugherty and once we were done we had lunch and swung by the dealer. Unfortunately we didn't get in a test ride but we did see 4 of them in their shop. These bikes really look nice and seem to have a good build quality.

Duccmann posing with the one that was in their break room.
    [​IMG]

The three others in their showroom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting clip-ons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, a bit of a price tag...
    [​IMG]

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow.. thanks for sharing, talk about the possibility of these being an elitist machine at over OTD $40K Wonder what they believe there demographic is.. besides deep pockets. Did you hear one run.?

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    No didn't hear one even tho I kept on sayin out LOUD, I sure would love to hear it run. Wouldn't let cha sit on one either. Beautiful bike in living color and 180 hp ta boot

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If you couldn't sit on one would they let you guys pump the levers and make the appropriate vrooming sounds?

Nice pix.. no leaks..

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Nice design on the handle bars!

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Did you guys ride over or drive? Hard to believe that they won't start one up or let you swing a leg over. How the hell do they expect to sell them?
    Thanks for the photos.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

We drove over there but to be fair we really didn't interact with any salesperson. Not sure why, but there didn't seem to be anyone on their sales floor. There were two guys behind the parts counter and a lady who was having lunch in the break room. From what I saw on the Motus website you schedule a test ride, but who knows if dealers have their own policy.

8. Badbilly

United States
    I hope with that pic of Dman, SOW doesn't start writing him love notes or send him one of those damn cats.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Possibility of maybe seeing some of that design work on Heli's for other bikes?

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    God help me....funny guy

11. Badbilly

United States
    Maybe the guys who go to Reg's gig will do a group prayer for you.. Maybe spring for a case of beer to get them started?

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Think maybe a keg would be better....IPA

13. Badbilly

United States
    I agree. With a keg there could be nekkid dancing, the smoking of the peace pipe and other forms of male bondo,

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    So I finally got the call. Dan Bell that owns Ft Pierce Victory Polaris dealership called and said he had Motus bikes for sale and would I like to take one for a test ride. Oh hell yeah!! What a cool dude. He owns two dealerships in Indiana and bought this one last June. Almost got out of motorcycling after his daughter who ran one of the shops died of cancer. But he hopped on a bike, took a long ride and decided not to retire and dove back into motorcycles big time. He built and owns the Harley D that has the land speed record. Said he had blown up 20-30- V rods and was happy to have them stay in one piece for a whole day. Though he sells HD he really is a sport bike/tour guy. Very knowledgeable and friendly. I rode his personal Motus R that he had taken the inserts out of the Akra's. As he said most bikers take their ride and add mods and farkles. If you take anything off this bike you will be downgrading it as it has top drawer everything. And it should for the price. Full Akra on the V4 motor, BST carbon fiber rims (14 lbs for the set!), Full Ohins suspension, Bad ass Brembo brakes and RS master and clutch. He told me where I could go west of town with great roads and probably no cops or traffic. Said "I just filled it up, ride the piss out of it". Just watch for cows. The American V4 is a real hot rod motor, just nasty as hell with 180+hp and 110 lbs of torque that all hit just over 3k. At a stand still when you rev it it does move the bike a tiny bit to the right but it is not noticeable when rolling and wacking the throttle. This bikes is about the same weight as a 6th gen VFR but it fells more like a 600cc sport bike, extremely nimble with a very low center of gravity. Just the sound alone is intoxicating then give it a fist full and power wheelies are very simple and fun. Roll ons in 3rd and 4th gear are just amazing. 70 mph in 3rd, hit it and your in triple digits instantly. Same with 4th but much faster, I looked down after rolling off the throttle and I was still going 130 +. Crazy fast. I bet top speed is easily 180+. He told me the engine is actually tuned mild for sport touring and that to make 220+ hp is easy. Just crazy power. There was a great entrance and exit ramp with 0 camber that I went around a bunch of times leaning her over progressively faster. You could take the bags off (made by Givi) and track this bike with super sports and not be left behind, it handles that well.
    It is so neutral that while leaned way over just shy of hard parts I could hold a the bars with 1 hand with no input. Exits did not push wide at all, I think they have the geometry down. The Perreli 190 rear was very planted and the front gave incredible feedback. The brakes are really top too. Feedback is what you would expect from this set up with a very linear progressive bite. 100+ mph to zero several time gave no fade at all and felt the same each time. It was a blast to ride, of coarse I want one now but the price..... Wow!. As Dan said it is a very niche bike, one for real riders that are a little older but want a sport tour that has big balls and extremely compliant, great handling and very comfortable. Oh yeah, it is very comfortable with the Sargent seat made custom for these, adjustable wind screen (they offer a bunch of sizes and styles) and the bars can change angle, height, and drop with just an Allen wrench. Full electronics and the on board diagnostics will tell you how every system is working or exactly what is not. Every bolt on the bike has a small engraved torque spec number on it so no looking that up in a book. All bikes are hand built (Dan actually help build his own bike at the plant as he knows the 2 owners). Pure joy to ride. When I got back he gives me the keys to a Victory Octane and wants me to give him my opinion. I must say this is what a Harley should be. Extremely smooth powerful engine with a butter smooth transmission. I was skeptical about the handling of a bike that has longer raked forks but I could turn it easily in the width if a 2 lane road. Fit and finish was very nice too. Impressed with a real American made bike. And at $10k very affordable. He really likes it too. Rides it and the Motus all the time to work. Says he is in triple digits every day on the Motus going to work, ,says that is its normal cruise speed. lol Here are some photos.

IMG_7991.jpg IMG_7993.jpg IMG_7997.jpg IMG_7998.jpg IMG_7999.jpg IMG_8002.jpg IMG_8003.jpg IMG_8004.jpg

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    And the Victory Octane. IMG_8031.jpg IMG_8032.jpg IMG_8033.jpg IMG_8034.jpg IMG_8035.jpg IMG_8036.jpg IMG_8037.jpg

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    He had a black Motus R too. IMG_8031.jpg IMG_8032.jpg IMG_8033.jpg IMG_8034.jpg IMG_8035.jpg IMG_8036.jpg IMG_8037.jpg

And his fun 4 wheeled ride....

IMG_8044.jpg IMG_8045.jpg IMG_8046.jpg IMG_8047.jpg IMG_8048.jpg IMG_8049.jpg IMG_8050.jpg

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    You lucky dog-- what a pal to have callin you.
    So when are ya picking your R up?
    That thing must sound amazing with that exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm picking mine up right after I win Lotto. lol The full Akra with the inserts out was fantastic. Not too loud. Down low it just sounds like an old school bad ass V8 and at 7k it just howls.

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    For 40 grand I could buy an 8th gen and a 6th gen rear end, take it to a custom bike guy and tell him to "Make it happen" (8th gen with 6th gen underseat exhaust). This would yield the most perfect sport touring bike possible in the known universe. This isn't a niche bike, it's a project that will never turn a nickel due to lack of scaling, and eventually go tits up like all these things do.