tank protector

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by cmlease, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    @BB ... LOL!

No idea, but I have a few guys with it on their bikes. They look nice, grip well, and protect the tank - does what it says it does - ignore any other claims to the product.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Never could figure oot pasting fifty pesos worth of decals advertising in some cases even more decals on a streetbike with a two K paintjob. Racebikes for sure. Tt pays some of the freight and the fast guys who ride them.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I have no idea what you talk about half the time, BB. :)

The link was about the tank protectors / grips from Tech Spec ... no the decals that some of the bikes on that site are adorning. ;)

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know which ones you had in the past, but I have this exact one, and it is a VERY good vinyl representation of carbon fiber with a very sticky adhesive backing (definitely NOT magnetic). It is uncoated, so it doesn't have that thick, rubbery, gel coating of most tank pads...it's very thin, and you can feel the texture of the synthetic weave. It does not tear holes in my gear.

It appears I misspoke in my first post when I said it was real carbon fiber. It looks so real, I actually forgot that it's vinyl. People ask me about it, and compliment it all the time.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'm going to get this for my bike. It's thicker than the kit I made for myself out of a different material. This is about 1/4" thick and you can cover any part of the tank you want, with your own design. http://www.htmoto.us/store/p/478-Universal-Freestyle-Kit-7-Pieces.aspx
    Plus, the price is great, especially in comparison to some "Bike Specific" brands out there that are $50 more for less material. Also, you are able to select pattern and color you want, not being forced to buy only black. Additionally, another benefit of creating your own is that you have control over the size. I went off of a template that I have since found is too small for aggressive cornering and braking. With this kit, I'll be able to increase the area covered, giving me a much more substantial grip with my knees, allowing harder breaking and better control of the bike in corners.

6. Badbilly

United States
    The video on how to apply this stuff after putting a bigass dent in a tank is almost worth sending off for a free sample and telling these dudes about owning ten Harleys. The use as a bathtub liner is great too. Being a shower guy mself, I may just get some for my padded cell.

Fake fur is still my story and I'm sticking to it.

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, that was bad. I did see a lot of this on racebikes at the track tho.

8. Badbilly

United States
    We (as the collective we) could luck oot and SOW will do his whole bike in the stuff using the appropriate color combos..;) The positive aspect might be a needed separation of the crazies from the rest of us not so fast dudes.

9. Badbilly

United States
    The faux carbon fibre doodads look great. The printing process uses hi res scanning or large format digital photography to replicate the look. It is quite possible that the technology for securing any of the protector materials can or could be both magnetic and non permanent adhesion. The tell would be in the tactile feel and the color of the backside. If a brown hue this would indicate the presence of FeO2. The test would be to plunk that puppy on your reefer first before trashing up the paint on a bike. Bikes first! Refrigerators come second, always.

There may be a source for real carbon fibre protectors out there somewhere or in the planning stages elsewhere. Maybe some one will just make one up by cutting up one of those carbon fibre briefcases that are on the market secured with a couple of dabs of Gorilla Glue.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Darned if I can find an online translator for Canuk into American or vice versa.. An unresolved dilemma..;)

A bit hard to see where the protectors start and the decals end on the example bikes. When you order yours just for fun ask and tell em you really like decals. Short of switching over to one of those not so popular import fairing kits.

Also ya might do a solid for SOW and see if they might have some mirror sliders in stock..

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    HAHAH! I understood that time. :)

Yah, they're hard to spot on some of those bikes. If you go to the VFR specific one though, it's on a clean red VFR and you can see them nicely.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Gotcha.. I'm still holding oot for fake fur. If I get the bug to do another paintjob on the mach 1, I really think I'd go for the genuine Honda protectors made for the STs. Seen those and they are good stuff.

Cat fur? Wolf fur? Sasquatch fur? So many choices..

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    On the back of the tank, the black ST1300 does the job perfectly. On the tank sides, your knees (unless you're 8 feet tall with long legs) don't touch the tank but for the very bottom of the sides. I bought a Tankslapper kit for a 6th gen. (not out for 8th gen. yet), cut a narrow strip for each tank side and installed them per instructions which are very easy to follow. Can't tell they're on the tanks. Problem solved.

14. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Looks good! I've got some of the hydroturf that htmoto uses. I made a bunch of pads for daytonas. It's good stuff.

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I am using TechSpec on my tank now ... C3 material. Love it. It's grippy AF!!!

16. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    A bit of digging here but I'm thinking about putting some tank pads on the side of my bike to get better grip. Have any of you guys had any wear on the suit with your pads? Which pad are you using and what sort of suit are you wearing. I'm riding in gore-tex atm, just feels a bit dumb to tear the knees with the pad...

/R

17. Badbilly

United States
    Dig deep both in your pocketbook and on the www for the pads for Honda's ST models. Lots of BS advertising on materials, fitment, pricing ect. One site will say they fit a VFR and another will say just the opposite.

If indeed there are genuine carbon fibre tank protector/pads, the actual carbon fibre will be buried in plastic. Carbon fibre as great as it is, is subject to abrasion and when abraded becomes much like "fiberglass" becomes when the top layer of epoxy or polyester resin wears away and the actual fiberglass cloth become the abrasive. Not real great on your pants....

For those who like the decorative plastic films, it can also be cut in strips and attached to each end of the handlebars on a bike to give the bike the Harley look. A sure hit at bike nights.

18. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    So, you don't know then Badbilly?

19. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Lol, he must have been burned by cf.

My hydroturf hasn't cut my jeans. The only thing I have read is that stompgrips volcano stuff can be rough on your suit, but you'd have to be a track day guy to rub it that much...

20. Badbilly

United States
    I figured you might be able to do some of the homework for yourself based upon my years living in an area of Seattle surrounded by self reliant folks hailing from Norway but what do I get, a fucking whiner.