Switch odometer units miles to kms

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Kiwiwannafly, May 20, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Kiwiwannafly

Kiwiwannafly New Member

New Zealand
    2000 VFR800Fi - English import into NZ. Speedometer (analog) is large font Miles, small font km. Odometer is in MILES. Temp is in degrees C.
    A metric purist would be having nightmares.
    OK - I am another with the dead odometer reading but working trip meter. On startup I get good looking self test, so assuming the LCD display is not faulty. All display segments for digits light up on connecting to ignition, clock display OK. I am still trying to track down the cause of the odometer reading being blank. Trip A and trip B displaying and operating as normal.

Here is the good news for a heap of people that are suffering mismatched odometer scale with the country they are in - viz American models in Canada, UK models in NZ/Australia - odometer/trip meter showing miles, km required. IT CAN BE CHANGED!

Searching for the issue of the dead odometer I was checking the continuity across all the resistors & capacitors on the LCD board looking for either a burnt one or zero resistance (short). All checked out except one: its labelled as J2 and the component has the value 000 printed on it. This had zero resistance - i.e. a short. I am assuming that J indicates a jumper. There is a J1 labelled (along with R37) but no component seen there, just a track (unless it is on the other side of the board under the LCD screen).

Out of curiosity I removed this J2 component. Removed from the board its resistance is zero - agreeing with my assumption that this is a jumper. Powered up the LCD display and .....HEY! reading in KM now! Both trip meter and odometer. Still have the blank odometer problem but looks like the units have changed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grum likes this.
  2. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Good find Kiwi. As for your Odometer you may have a memory chip failure or connection/joint issue. Have a close look at all the eyelet joints, these are interconnects between the two PCB layers, sometimes these can become flaky, check them with an eyeglass if you have one or just go around the board giving each eyelet a nice solder.

For Info - Created a connections label for the PCB. Also lower pic of a metric version confirms your finding J2 is missing.

20240413_190723.jpg

lcd-assy_medium37230MBG003-02_5427.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  3. Kiwiwannafly

Kiwiwannafly New Member

New Zealand
    [

For Info - Created a connections label for the PCB. Also lower pic of a metric version confirms your finding J2 is missing.

No joy on finding any dry EEPROM joints. Looks like my chip is an HP 0418 001 but nowhere can I find any data regarding the specs for this. Found some pictures of the chip but no data to find a comparable replacement Waugh! Even then populating an eeprom with data (as in an appropriate milage) looks a nightmare in hex.
    On a positive note - I now have a Flexi circuit board mask for this model. I intend to make my own from Pyralux (copper sheet on polyamide backing) with wax printing/etch/lacquer. If it works out then our community has another resource for this hard (hard, bloody impossible!) to source part. I'll flick a pic up soon.

4. Kiwiwannafly

Kiwiwannafly New Member

New Zealand
    Mask.png

Added in a few labels while I was creating this to make things easier to identify - bulb identification and contact point for temp, fuel, speedo, odometer, tach, power (always on for clock), ignition, earth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2024