suspension upgrade on 5th gen?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by taylor65, Nov 27, 2012.

1. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have a 98 with around 30,000 miles on it and have been considering upgrading to the 929 shock and either just stiffer springs in the front or maybe a little more. I can 're-build shocks so that's not a probelm and neither are the forks. My question is. How big a difference will it really make? I like to go through the corners at a pretty good pace but am always trying to keep myself in check and not get to crazy like when I was younger. So will I stI'll appteciate it even when riding at a normalong pace?I would like to hear fRom some thathave upgraded and how much of a difference did it really make?

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I upgraded to 929 on my 3rd gen after riding the stock shock.

I didn't bother riding my 5th gen with a stock shock and went straight to 929.

It was night and day difference for me and huge bang for the buck when you consider the cost. Much better shocks out there with remote preload, remote reservoir etc. But for the money, hard to go wrong with the 929 IMO.

3. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I had my suspension done by Jamie Daugherty at Daugherty motorsports about 2 months ago. Springs for my weight and valve job on the forks, CBR 929 shock with springs and valving as well. the difference is pretty amazing. The bike transforms from being reluctant to turn and harsh over even the smallest bumps to 'is that all you got" in the corners and a firm but compliant ride. It raises your confidence in the bike 10 fold and to me it was worth every penny spent!

4. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    For the valve job on the forks did you send your forks in or is something that can be done at home? Thanks for the replies. Night and day difference sounds good. The thing I notice the most with mine is a wallowy feel in the corners while leaned over and making mid corner corrections are less than confidence inspiring. I know I read in the initial road test of the 98 that Honda built a certain amount of flex into the chassis so I sort of take it that the wallowy feel there is nothing that can be done for that. Or is that the suspension I'm feeling?

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    It should feel planted and no wallowing in the corners. Along with the shock swap, I lifted the rear end about 1 inch. Others have rode it and commented that it rides great. One of the links in my signature has photos of the shock mount I built

6. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I sent my forks in...would not be an easy do it at home thing unless you have knowledge of the cartridge set ups, etc. (which I don't). Took it all off myself and shipped them out. That is the crappy suspension you feel. There is absolutely no wallowing anymore and the bike now has a planted feel that is night and day from stock. I used to hit some corners with my butt clenched, lol...now it just goes through without issue. It inspires a lot of confidence in the bike that is missing in stock form. best money I have spent hands down.

7. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I went with 1.0kg springs in front and didn't change valving.

8. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Did just springs balance out with the shock? And how much 're-valving did you have done to your forks crfan? The fear I have is that with the 929 shock and stiffer springs or with 're-valving as well that I will have a very stiff ride. Sounds like that may not be true though?

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    No one size fits all here. Everyone has different needs. I worked we'll for me and as I said, positive feedback from people who are better riders than I.

Instead of riding like a 1982 Cadillac or Buick, it handles much more like an 82 corvette. One soaks the bumps and bounces all over the road. The other takes the bump quickly and goes about it's business like normal.

Best way I can think to describe it.

Springs are $100 and easily resellable so little to lose IMO by trying.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    +1 ---- Night and day difference. -- Stock? A bouncy pogo stick. Suspension rework? Sticks to the road like glue, goes where you point it. Much improved control. Feels like a new bike. --- Do it!

11. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Much of the above is good info. Let me offer an alternative.

You can get a new shock and springs for <1k (depending in brand about $780-850) for shock, springs unless you go after add ons like remote resivior etc. Realy think about just how much and often you are going to be making adjustments before dumping those bucks usually about an additional $300-400.

You can make some adjustment with fluid weight in the forks. 5wt, 7.5wt, 10w etc. After that look at a revalve.

The difference in above is night and day. So it is hard to make valve adjustment when you take such a huge leap and it is an expense you may not need. I think you will find that by having springs for your weight and riding style (questions resellers will ask) and having a decent rear shock new fluid in forks, you will be surprised with what you get.

Also, all the above is about 2-4 hours DIY garage time.

12. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I basically had Jamie do the street level valving. The valving actually helps the shocks work better with the springs etc. As far as the ride goes...it is overall more firm BUT itis WAY more planted and has a firm compliance over bumps without being harsh like the stock set up. It is better in every way.

13. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly! Good way to describe it, hehe

14. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I too had Jamie do up a 929 shock for my bike and would definitely agree with all that has been said so far. I don't generally ride my bike really hard but I do like to have some fun in the corners. My bike spends a lot of time as a daily commuter and I usually ride two up on the weekends with either my wife or son, and the shock makes a world of difference. When riding solo, the ride is a bit firmer than stock (I believe Jamie installed an 1100 lb spring after I mentioned that I ride with a passenger most of the time) but when my wife rides with me the bike feels far more compliant. The 929 shock upgrade helped the bike handle better and certainly aided my confidence when pushing the bike a little harder than normal. This extra confidence in the bikes abilities, and to an extent my own, that I think provides the best reason for doing the upgrade. Peace of mind while riding goes a long way in helping you enjoy the ride more in my opinion. Just cause the bike handles and feels better overall when riding doesn't mean I have to go faster but it sure inspires more confidence when I decide I WANT to go faster.

Tinks comparison on handling with the 82 Cadillac vs the 82 Corvette, also very accurate. Had a 1981 Turbo Trans Am when I was 19 and I might hesitate to compare the two but............ The Trans Am was not the fastest car of its day, and not the best handling car of its day, but it was just as happy to run fast down the highway as it was being pushed through the twisties, much like the VFR. Might not be the fastest or best handling bike around but it is comfortable for the long haul and has little trouble keeping up with the sport bike crowd when asked to do so.

15. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Thanks for all the replies. Now I just need to get off my butt and do it. I have experience 're-building shocks and even some valving. So if I were to pick up a cheap 929 shock and freshen it up does anyone know if the stock 929 valving is okay on the vfr? And if the spring is a stock spring what rate is it? Thanks again

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Stock has been acceptable to me, may not be to you. No matter what, you need a mount. Build the mount, install and try it. It's an easy install/remove once the mount is done. Try it as is and see what you like before tearing it apart.

17. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Well I ordered a shock from e-bay for a grand total of 24.99. Now I just hope it's useable. I will freshen it up with a good cleaning and new shock oil. I have a few questions about how to make the mount so if anyone could please attach a good link on how to make it I sure would appreciate it. Thanks

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Did I mention earlier that there are pics in the 5th gen link in my signature?

19. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    No but I will check it.

20. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I looked for it but not sure what the signature photos are. Are there measurements I need to follow or do I measure the total length of the stock vfr shock and duplicate that? If there is a thread where someone else built this link I would like to read it. I tried searching but didn't find anything on just the. Link. Thanks again