Suspension rework advice (86 VFR700)

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by paradox11235, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    So I had 4th gen, got t-boned by a coco-cola truck, totaled bike, f'd me up a bit too. Replaced the bike with a 5th gen, had it for a while sold it to get a Ducati ST4S, sold it to pay for a new roof on the house. Now, with three kids to feed I can only afford antique VFR's, so I have a 2nd gen. Although, it was an original owner purchase, and 100% stock / un-molested....until I got hold of it. I do believe in keeping them original as much as possible, and I spent a ton of money on new bits and pieces that were worn or dried out. Bike had 12000 miles on it when I got it last FeB, I put 8000 on it this summer and decided after a few hairy incidents, those old technology tires had to go and the suspension needed upgrading. $500.00 in parts and my labor is way cheaper than $4500.00 to $8000.00 for a Gen 6 or Gen 5. With the wheels and suspension mods done, I can tell you it was well worth the money and effort. The bike does now handle like a late model Viffer...I can tell because I owned two others. I would say it even handles as good as my old ST4S. However, it is no race bike, and not going to be used as such. Its my commuter and weekend rider. The thing is, like most people on this board who are old like me, I've had dozens of bikes over the years, ubber high tech high dollar to real clappers. And I now find that I'm really enjoying the vintage Japanese bike scene. Here in Denver we have a once of month gathering and its always great to get the ooo's and ahhhhs from the guys when they see your baby and the effort you put into it. You always get the, "back in the day I 'd go ninty mile nower' on it....." classic. For me, I was in college and riding an old RD400 with bald tires and dicy brakes. The rich kids had VFR's, GPz's, and Nighthawks.... SO basically I have the VFR I wanted back then now, with some mods. I forget now what the original point of my post was....oh well.

Check out these fat Mich. Pilot Pro3's they are awesome...I laugh at those skinny funny looking bias ply tires :tongue2:
    photovfrtire.JPG

2. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    Lets say I could get a complete CBR600 F4 front and rear end for $200 (minus tires which I need regardless), would it be worth swapping onto the VFR?

3. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    Yes. If for nothing more than those parts are worth more than the 200.00 they want for them.