Summer bbq?

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by Viffer2003, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

02 - sounds good to me

Buz - this pesky work thing seems to be getting in the way of us riding. Lets quit. LOL...I wish. Maybe some day next week after work can work out - if not, 9/12 fer sher

2. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

I went back through the posts and made a list of the people that have said they hoped to attend. I'm going to send pm's to you guys with directions and my cell this am. Looks like we have 8 or 10 as of now. I'll keep checking so if anyone else can still join in - post up!

Plan is to meet at my place around 10am and take a spin. There are a few good rides around here so we can talk about them then and see what we all kinda agree on, then head out for a spin. Figure we'll stop for lunch along the way and be back to my place mid-later afternoon for some R & R, then fire up the grill for some chow.

If anyone needs to work around timeframes or is bringing anyone with them, feel free to do what ya want. They can ride with us, meet up after. 6 Flags is right down the road if the fam wants to come and meet up after, what ever works for ya. Just let me know so I have an idea as to how many are going to be around later - all are totally welcome!

Either shoot me a PM or post up so I know who's in. Don't want to leave the house and leave someone behind!!

Weather is looking good for 9/12 - it's gonna be a good day! :thumbsup:

Chris

3. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    Hey Chris, I was right behind you last night as you turned onto the 190 bridge to Enfield around 7.45 p.m.. I was coming back from Agawam McD's on rt. 75 with the kids, headed to Enfield as well. I was however driving my 4wheeled transport. Your girl is brave wearing flip flops :eek:

I just scored a Laminar lip off E-bay for $17.00 new in the plastic. I just mounted it and I'm on the fence with the look of it. But I believe it is effective above 40 mph. I'm glad I didn't pay full whack for it......

4. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

huh - that wasn't me, but that means we have another red vfr lurking around here somewhere! Kevin mentioned he's seen a couple too. I must be blind, I never see other vfr's around lol.

(Flip flops and bikes huh? Hmmm...to each their own, but no thanks :rolleyes:)

Leave the lid on for Saturday and we'll check it out. For 17 clams, what the heck.

They keep moving this storm farther away. Saturday is still on for sure, but looks like we might dodge a sprinkle or 2 in the am. Afternoon is looking pretty good though. Who knows, I've been out for rides on days like that and turned out perfect. :cool:

5. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Got the directions. See you at 1000 hours. Going to Walmart to get some cheap waterproof camping gear in case it rains.

6. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

sounds good brother - looks like you might get use of that gear. I'm hoping to scam between the "scattered showers" but chances are, we'll catch one.

See ya in the am :biggrin:

7. bbwong

bbwong New Member

OK, I'm still planning to ride up. The weather is looking kinda wet down here, mostly in the early AM. I'm still planning to meet up with Butzip and 02 in E. Hartford at 8:30. Expecting to leave around 5:30 to build in a little extra travel time - especially if the roads are wet. Worst case, if it's looking like it will clear up a little later, I'll wait until 6:30 and skip the E. Hartford meet and head straight to Agawam. It's only an hour difference but if that keeps me a little drier... If I'm leaving later, I'll post up here and send 02 a text message to his cell.

I hope to see everyone tomorrow!

8. bbwong

bbwong New Member

What are the local weather folks saying about tomorrow? weather.com is showing 60-80% chance of rain in the Hartford area. MSN is showing 50% chance of rain throughout the day.

9. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

sounds good BB - i think once we get through the am, we'll be ok. Either E Htfd or Agawam, whatever works for ya. Once you get up here, take some time to rest a little and we'll head out whenever. Don't need to leave here right at the crack of 10.

If you're running late cuz of weather or traffic or whatver, no worries. take your time and ride safe. I think I pm'd you my cell, not sure - I'll resend it now though incase you have trouble and can't reach 02 for some reason.

See ya in the am!

Chris

10. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

BB - sorry man, I didn't see your second post, I just reponded to the first one. Local guys are saying rain tonight into tomorrow am, getting better as the day goes on but chance of pop up showers pretty much all day Saturday. I'm hoping we can dodge them, but pretty good chance we'll see a shower...

This summer is killing me! Every time we try and get out, rain rain rain! Maybe we should move to AZ or NM lol...naa, I hate the heat. Can't win I guess :rolleyes:

11. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Looks like I got lucky. The rain should hold off until midday in these parts so I'm heading out around 6:00, hoping to be in E. Hartford sometime between 8:30 and 9:00. If I get held up along the way I call either Kevin or Chris.

See you in a bit.

Steve.

12. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    I'm meeting with Kevin @08.00, see you in EH. Have a good ride!

13. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Steve and Pete, good to meet you guys. Hope you guys made it well thru remainder of journies.
    Chris, thnx for hosting at your place - those smores brownies hit the spot.
    Kevin, great lead up/down that mountain~
    Rain - try again some other day

clocked 380 miles total, the ride back from Agawam was long but at least dry. i feel good, no pain. will check in tomorrow

Ride Red, See Red ~

14. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Tim, glad you got home safe. You had a pretty long day for sure. Up early, ride all day and home after dark, now that's a day riding! I'm feeling pretty good, buy I only did maybe 200-220, so way less that you clocked riding all the way to Agawam, then on the ride.

Steve, you gotta get the iron a$$ award for the day - riding from Jersey in the rain to ride with us. Great to meet you, we'll have to hook up on dry roads sometime!

Well, the day didn't work out as planned at all. Rain pretty much screwed us on everything. It was great riding with all of you guys though. The company made it a great day, even if the visibility at Greylock was all of 50 feet :rolleyes: and rain on and off all day. You guys are troupers. We'll have to get up there again in the fall when the leaves turn, and there's no rain...the view is really something.

Sorry about the rain, but I still like the idea of a summer meet and greet bbq. There are a lot of people around and it would be cool to get a big group together. Maybe late this winter I'll start another thread and get one going with a ton of notice, build in a rain date (or 2!!) and then bbq after. COme for the ride and stay for the bbq. Just do one or the other, whatever works for people. In the mean time, time to start planning a fall ride fellas :thumbsup:

Glad it was a safe ride for everyone, stay rubber side down guys!

15. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    And today is gorgeous...
    Steve takes the trophy on mileage~

Chris, Monday is out, wifey is training for NY marathon and is doing a big run so I have the lad for the day.

A nice ride idea - along the LI sound coast, I dont know the roads down there but who knows....

16. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    Copy that!! Even if my ride was abbreviated, it was a blast. Kevin, hope to see those pics posted in here soon. Ya'll made it all the way to Greylock?!? Was that planned? Or did you guys just like riding in the rain that much :wink:

17. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    Tim, sounds like a plan. I know Kev and Chris would be up for it. And we would certainly caravan down. Now we just need to set a date before you hit the high seas!!

18. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Absolutely guys, I'd love to get down to the roads along the sound. Don't really know that area to well, new roads are always a good thing. Sounts like Peter would be in, I'm sure Kevin would as well. Hopefully more too. We'll have to get that in the works before you take off again Tim.

Peter, yep, all the way to Greylock. We figured we were so close, just go. Today would be a great day to be up there, yet my luck proves to prevail and we end up there in the slop. Story of my life!

19. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Hey guys, got home around 3:30 I left a lot later than planned but all was good. The weather was perfect, roads were dry, and only a little traffic by the GWB. Otherwise smooth and rapid sailing. Took a little over 3 hours with a stop for gas.

I'm sorry I couldn't finish the ride but have a really good visit with the sister. It was great meeting everyone and hell yeah I'm up for a ride around the coast area. That's like right in my backyard! Well, not really, but a lot closer than NW Mass. I logged about 570 miles over the two days. Lower back is a little sore but nothing a little tylenol can't fix, otherwise no worse for wear.

And Kevin, when were you planning on being in Toms River? We'll get some guys from NJ/PA to show you a good time.

20. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Glad you got home ok Steve, you had quite a day of riding there between the miles, rain, traffic, geez. Good you got to see your sister too, worked out well all around! Keep in touch and when the CT coast ride comes around, head on up. Great riding with ya!