Suitable clothing for temporary gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by OSA 06, Jul 1, 2011.

1. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of clothing is somewhat suitable to ride in. While I know that nothing takes the place of quality gear, I need something to get me by for 2-3 weeks until I can afford it. Thanks in advance!!

2. Spike

Spike New Member

Well, as long as you know you aren't going to crash at all during that time, almost anything will do... ;-)

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The minimum is good Denim. Jeans and jacket. Has been tested as the best of all cloth/thin syn stuff. It has been known to save skin in some instances. Watch the thin syn stuff. It will melt in a slide type get off.

ATGATT

4. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll probably wear jeans with nylon shorts underneath. As for a jacket, I work at a bus shop... do you think the heavy work jackets would be somewhat suffencient?? Still going to buy proper gear as soon as money allows.

5. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Is your budget absolutely zero right now? Do you have any gear yet? Do you have a Helmet?

You can find cheap gear on Craigslist, I picked up a Joe rocket speedmaster jacket for $75 off kijiji, a few years old model but in perfect shape. Stuff is out there for cheap if you look for it. But if your tapped out right now, a jean jacket, jeans, work boots and work gloves would get you by.

Sign up (use a throw away account like hotmail) for newenough new's letter, Sport bike track gear or any other sites to get emails on their current deals. If you keep an eye out, you should be able to score some deals when your cash flow improves. Gear isn't cheap, but you guys in the US have it made with some of the deals that can be had online.

6. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    My first helmet was only 70 bucks and lasted a year and about 6000 miles in that time. My first jacket, which I still have, a tourmaster intake air 2 was 160 or so from motorcyclesuperstore and I still ride in it everyday. If I hadn't lost one of the liners it would be great...

7. camo

camo New Member

Map
    You might check at pawn shops. Around here they have lots of motorcycle gear.

In the heat I generally wear rip-stop BDU's (camo). I used to have a Nomex flight suit. The protection is not high but at least it is stronger than street clothes such as jeans.

In cooler weather we have leather monkey suits. I would be interested in trying a mesh jacket.

I did like Spikes post.

I used to road ride with a guy in southern Missouri that I raced against. He never wore much in the way of skin protection in the summer. Jeans, t shirt, helmet, boots and gloves. His road bike was a suzuki gamma 500 and he raced a Yamaha 500 single. He said that he would rather be uncomfortable for 2 weeks a year if he layed it down, rather than be uncomfortable all year if wore his leathers. This was before mesh jackets came out.

8. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I love my mesh jacket, definitely the way to go.

9. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for all the info/opinions... I do already have a helmet... Wouldn't dare ride without one. Picked it up on sale at a powersports dealer at home about a year ago. I'm also gonna check around for some used gear, but doubt I'll find anything that fits... I'm 5'9" and 135 lbs... Just almost tall enough to touch the ground when sitting on the bike... LOL. Thanks for the help everyone!!