Street Triple R v. VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Jan 24, 2018.

1. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    As I own and ride both bikes - the short answer is they can both be used as all rounders. Obviously if you only own one of them - does it really matter which is better suited to a particular trip? Basically you will ride what you own and put up with whatever disadvantages that choice presents.

Normally for local day rides in the Alps, the Street Triple is my go to bike - it handles twisties with much less effort than the VFR, is easier to park safely and provides a more comfortable upright riding position even after I fitted helibars to my VFR.

However I hate taking the Street Triple on long runs. I can normally do the door to door trip from London to the Alps in one long riding day on the VFR. On my old Street Triple I was totally shattered at barely half distance and needed to book into a motel to recover overnight.

The lack of fairing protection on the Street Triple means you are the fly screen and you and your riding gear will arrive splattered with bugs just like the front of your helmet and visor.

Especially on faster roads the Street Triple is far less planted than the VFR meaning you can never really relax whilst riding it. I have a throttle lock on the VFR but not on the Street Triple. If you are not careful the Triple can be thrown all over the show especially when passing larger trucks and buses on a windy day. Meanwhile the longer wheelbase of the VFR barely notices the wind blast as you storm past a large vehicle. On my longer tours to the TT and around Europe, the VFR is therefore my firm favourite especially as the full OEM luggage set, allows me to carry ample gear for long trips safe in the knowledge it will remain safe and dry even if the heavens open or I leave the bike unattended.

Yes I know people who are happy to construct insanely tall stacks of soft luggage on the rear seat on the Street Triple, but unlike panniers on the VFR inevitably this adds high up weight and can quickly upset the balance of the bike as unlike a pillion, luggage can sway alarmingly from the side to side.
    In short whenever you need to carry luggage(or a stack of beer) you really need to refrain from the usual throttle happy behaviour which the Street Triple tends to inspire, or you risk having a bungee strap come loose and suddenly end up with your luggage scattered down the road. To be fair Triumph do of course have a range of more touring focused bikes which would make for a more equal side by side comparison.

In short both are fun bikes to own but if I could only afford one - I would be keeping the VFR.

Just my 2p.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021