Starter Clutch Repair VFR750 With Pictures

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Gareth_VFR, Apr 11, 2009.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Crap.

No one huh?

I'm afraid I might have to put the new springs, needles, and roller bearings in the old starter clutch body.

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    srtrclutch.jpg

This is how everything sits.

That little pin won't go in!!! it slides fine into the old starter clutch body but not into the new one. I confirmed that the old and new Starter clutchs' are the same.
    Also, I accidentally ordered 2 new Starter Clutch bodies...so I have tried both of the new ones and the little dowl pin won't fit into either of them. (but they slide easily into the old Starter clutch body)

I tried a Rubber mallet and pressing with vise grips. It won't go in.

I even tried heating up the body and putting the pin in the freezer but still nothing.

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Allright. I managed to assemble everything but it took some extra work.

I put the Starter Clutch body in the oven at 400 degrees for 30mins, and I put the little down pin in the freezer under a pile of ice overnight.
    When I put the dowl pin into the little hole it still wouldn't fit but many blows with a hammer later it was in.

I'll answer my own questions that I originally posted.

No. The Large gear that attaches to the rear of the Starter Clutch and the Splines in the motor have a different set of teeth at one point...so it will only go in one way.

See my soloution above. Others may not have had to go to the extreme I had to but it definitly wasn't easy.

I can only assume that the scoring and other marks on the old Starter Clutch body are from the roller bearings chatterring and moving about. Maybe they weren't staying in place?
    Regardless, I replaced evrything. (Body, Rollers, Springs, Pins, dowl pin, Bolts)

Other issues I found:

-Gasket for the engine cover was extremely hard to get off. be sure to have all sizes and shapes or x-acto knives, box cutters, blades, or gasket scrapers. Also, alot of it will fall into the engine so be careful. I don't know if it's harmful or not.

-Placing the bike on the sidestand was enough for my 4th gen to not lose alot of oil in the process. I maybe lost a dozen drops.

-The bolts for the Engine side cover are easily breakable. Even though I followed the 9ft/lbs torque requirement I think I may have damaged one.

4. Garion670

Garion670 New Member

Great thread, helped so much when I had the same problem. My biggest tip would be 'Don't buy cheap tools!'. I'm based in Bristol UK if anyone needs advice from someone who has been there drop me a line.

5. Fortunate4now

Fortunate4now New Member

United States
    Map
    First and foremost thank you for this write up. After going thru the same horrible noises when trying to start my 1994 VFR I ordered all of the parts and swapped out the start clutch sprag with a new one. My old one was also cracked in two places so I figured this would do the trick. I made sure everything was seated and torque correctly, pin in place, etc. After putting new oil in I try to start the bike and nothing! Just a clicking noise from the relay. I tried swapping battery but still the same problem..

Any ideas? I tried running a jump from the battery positive to the starter stud and immediately got sparks and stopped. Please help! The bike at least ran before...

6. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Check my posts #25 and #26. Sounds similar to what I had and how I solved it.

7. Fortunate4now

Fortunate4now New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok so that issue was resolved. I foolishly didnt have the washer behind the large gear on the right. Put that in and put everything back together and now the bike cranks but will not start! I'm hopeing I didnt throw the timing off? I'm really getting frustrated. I took 2 photos before I put it back together. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Due to the Notched shaft (that the Starter Clutch assemble slides onto) and the Large gear on the back of the Starter Clutch assembly everything only goes back on one way.

....unless you did something outside of the Starter Clutch repair instructions the timing should be the same.

9. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map
    Yeah I removed everything and decided since I had everything open I I had to spend money on the new gaskets I would put in a nice racing clutch.. soaked em over night and put them in and everything back to the way it was but just switched over to synthetic. fired her up and it grabes like a charm way sooner then the old. Im happy :) :potstir::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

10. Username

Username New Member

So I bought a whole starter clutch assembly off of eBay and I am ready to swap out on my bike but I can't seem to find a gasket for the right engine cover. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?

11. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map
    FB_IMG_13683350612896553.jpg
    :vfr1200f:

12. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Um....dealer? At least get a part number for it if you don't know it already and search on ebay with that number.

However, if you take your time removing the cover bolts and tap slowly around it with a hammer you can easily get it off in one piece (though still stuck to the cover you remove) and re-use it. I've done this more than once on many different bikes.

13. brice.miller.5

brice.miller.5 New Member

Has anyone tried a Clutch outer from Bike Bandit. I have a 95 vfr 750F. Know there was a bit of confusion with the interchangeable years.

14. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map

lol.. not a dealer. I happen to have an 87 VFR and when I took off the covers the old gaskets where thrashed..

15. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I meant "perhaps a dealer would have that part for you." Sorry for the confusion.

16. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map
    no worries bro..

17. 6klub

6klub New Member

United States
    Great thread, thanks for the info. I had the same issue with my 95, ordered a starter clutch off ebay ( yeah I know) . The starter clutch that arrived, today , was slightly different than my original ( Outer cover and outer ) I assume it was from an older year. I used the outer and then all my original parts to make sure it would align properly when I re installed it. It all went back together quick and easy. I accidentally installed the primary drive gear guide backwards ( smooth side towards primary drive gear assembly). When installed it this way and tried to start it , I could hear it grab but the bike just wouldn't fire up.

I pulled it back apart and noticed the mistake with the guide and put it back together properly , now I just hear it spin.

Is the older style outer the culprit or could there be something else I'm overlooking? ( and yes I have the reduction gear turned the correct way, no I didn't install a new washer like the manual says)

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Did you torque the bolts to the correct tightness? I used a rag to grab the gears, usually, I have an officially calibrated elbow, :mech: but since I have a bunch of torque wrenches and thought it was prudent to "break-em-oot" :canada: sppeeling :loco: thanks for screwing up my writing skills you bastard. Anyway, I am sure if you did'nt use locktite and proper torque sequence/procedure you would be "aight" alright. :scooter: Cheers.

19. NateV

NateV New Member

3rd gen starter clutch issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. NateV

NateV New Member

Hey fellow fans of Hondas jewel. I've had intermittent problems with my starter clutch, certainly more on colder days. Just opened my '90 vfrs' clutch cover up today. Bike has over 158,000 miles on it. Motor never been apart to my knowledge. Bought her in Hawaii with 78,000 on clock. No visible cracks or damage that I can see. The3gold bolts weren't particularly tight though. Cleaned things and reassembled with locktite. Reassemble it tomorrow to see if that was the issue. Thanks to all for a great post forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk