Starter Clutch Repair VFR750 With Pictures

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Gareth_VFR, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BobFoy

BobFoy New Member

Has any one bothered to change the needle roller bearing at the same time? I am considering replacing mine when I tear into it.

2. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Two year cycle? Most times this happens round the 50k mark. Is two years another 50k to you?

3. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    They are cheap if you think you see wear on them. I didn't, and left mine alone and re-used them.

4. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    No worries. With the parts in hand it really is a less than one hour fix, and simple to do.

5. BobFoy

BobFoy New Member

This is the first replacement on this particular bike. I purchased it last spring with 20k and just hit the 40 mark this week. I manage to split miles between this bike and another and average about 30k a year even living in Michigan!

6. diggerman

diggerman New Member

This was the first time I came to this forum via Google. I have had the grinding starter issue for some time. Until now I had not the courage to tackle it but thanks to this fantastic article I whipped the side cover off and low and behold the exact same problem with the cracked hub, Mine had three cracks in it - each was in the thinnest part of the ally casting where what appears to be an oil way hole goes through it. The rollers look good but I have just ordered a new hub (cmsnl.com - very helpful dutch folk, and less pricey than David Silver for this part) and other bits (David Silver still has the best deal on these. JT's wanted £17 for each of the three spring caps - David Silver £6.25 each!)

Guys like you with the patience to do these articles are what make the web a worthwhile place. I cannot thank you enough.
    Diggerman - Newbie and DIY excavator owner - Komatsu PC28UU if you are interested.

7. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Welcome to the insanity.

8. RonnieRoach

RonnieRoach New Member

Hi,
    you don't need to drain the oil when doing this job. Just leave the bike on it's side stand and put a brick or a block of wood under the rear tyre to lean the bike over a bit and you wont lose a drop!! Saves having to drain and re-fill etc... Just sorting my starter clutch as it's cracked, but having no luck getting hold of a new or used one as Honda don't make them any more. Anyone in the UK have one lying around the place??
    cheers.

schrocketeer likes this.
  9. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Huh? If you have a 94-97 VFR750, Honda still makes this part new. I bought mine new @ a dealer when I did mine recently. Check again.

10. RonnieRoach

RonnieRoach New Member

VFR750F starter clutch issues

Hi,
    mine is what you might call vintage.... it's a 1986 VFR in Black, 30k miles, 4 into 1 micron that sounds very nice, great looking bike and picked it up for a good price. Was starting fine until last week when it just made a nasty whirring noise. Took the right side engine casing off and found two of the three nuts on the starter clutch so loose I undid them with my fingers. Took it all apart and the part is split into three (just where the rollers sit) so needs either repair or replacement. Checked David Silver Spares, Fowlers, John Oldfield plus plus.... and all got the same answer. That part for my bike is discontinued. So if anyone knows if a part of a later VFR is compatible (heard tales of "yes it fits, but it wont fire") then I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks for the response though mate,

cheers

11. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Looks like your parts guys are right: according to Ron Ayers (plugging in part number as 28120-ML7-690) here:

Where Used Tool

it fits many VFR750s, but unfortunately not your year. Check Ebay?

12. RonnieRoach

RonnieRoach New Member

Thanks for checking over there. Looking on ebay and they're as rare as Rocking Horse Sh*t to tell the truth. I may have to buy a complete second hand engine and just take the bits I need and sell the rest. Will be contacting Honda UK today to see if they can tell me about any parts compatibility lists they may have that could help.
    Once again cheers mate.

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    have used the rag trick to lock up gears, just watch your fingers! My starter clutch is fine after 20+ years and almost 80,000 miles. I had a hot start issue as living in south FL is HOT, I think I licked it by eliminating the three yellow wire plug from stator to R/R by using solder. Anywho, Good Read on dah CLuTcH thang WG...

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thread RES!

So yesterday was an unseasonably warm day and I went out to start the bike and it took me atleast 2 mins of Spinning, clackity starting before it would catch and start. I think it might be time for me to get this done. :frown:

It's been an issue for the past 2 years but only on colder days. Yesterday was particularly bad.

So I guess I'll grab the parts. I think my Honda dealer said the Right Side Engine cover Gasket was discontinued. I'll re-check.

Bikebandit is quoting around $378 for all the parts shipped to my house in Canada.

Has anyone figured out the issue with the different part numbers and them not working with the 94-97's?

Has anyone changed the Clutch Springs while in there? I guess there's no benefit to that if you're not having any issues, huh?

15. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I'm pretty sure the gasket is still available. Have them re-check. I got a price thru Ronayers.com for everything, took it to my dealer, and they matched it.

16. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks! will do. :smile:

17. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map
    Need to do this.

This is something I am going to inspect and look at asap. I Have been getting a tapping/clanking sound from the clutch area when it warms up now for months and is getting just a little more loader over time. I also hear a knock when disengaging out of first gear. And just today I starting to hearing a new noise, sounds like grinding periodically when I ease off the throttle all the way. Will let you guys know what I discover.

18. Thurmus

Thurmus New Member

Map
    So I cracked her open today, to find out that my starter clutch cover outer is fine, there is no cracks anywhere and everything seems to be ok with the cover. However what I did see when I opened it up was the small gear all the way to the right was out of place and looked like there was some friction damage on the top, and looked like that had been cause by the small gear to the very right rubbing up on top of the inner casing, the pin that is supposed to hold that little gear in place was stuck into the outer casing where it belonged, not sure how it got out, but that's the only explanation I can come up with for that very recent grinding sound.

But this doesn't solve my clunking noise I hear when coming into first gear, and the tapping noise that seems to be getting loader. Just had my valves adjusted so it should not be valve noise. not sure what the ongoing noise is.

Anyone have any suggestions before I put it back together? thank you.

19. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I've started this on my 4th gen and I'm having a few issues.

1st. Do you have to remember which way the starter clutch goes back in? I only ask cause of the ribs around the outside and the timing marks.

2nd. The little dowl pin doesn't go in to the starter clutch assembly easily. I recall another member had the same issue on here.
    Am I supposed to force it back in?

3rd. I removed the assembly and I see no reason why I was having this issue. No cracks or damage whatsoever.

20. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I removed the old springs and rollers from the old starter clutch body. Looks like there's some scoring in there from the rollers. Dunnoh if that's what was causing the starting issues.

Now....I really can't get the dowl pin in!!