speed limit

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by taylor65, Aug 3, 2012.

1. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have been wondering how many of you keep your speed at or near the posted limit? I have been considering selling my very clean 98 because while in town I can keep my speed in check but on my early Sunday morning rides in the country I do good to keep it under at least double the limit. I don't ride over my head and I don't do high speed straight line triple digit speeds. Its just on those nice flowing roads that it is hard to resist. I try at times to keep my speed down and just cruise but I always end up getting into that roadracing mentality. I am 47 and figured by the time I reached this age I would have slowed down and to a point I have compared to my younger ride at the limit. Anyway I know if I sell it and go back to the dirt bikes I will be a lot safer as there are not many cars on the trails to run into, but I'm sure I will regret selling such a clean 98. I aso have a two year old little girl that gets me thinking about this stuff. So I guess I'm just wondering if I'm crazy or do some of you think of the same things?

2. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 47 and just sold my dirt bikes to get a street bike again, lol (2000 VFR)....

I love motocross and me and my son had a blast doing it but alot of tracks are closing around us and I realized riding dirtsickles is REALLY expensive between gas, maintenance and entry fees, etc.

DON'T DO IT! :potstir:

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Where are you located at and how much do you want. I don't mind to take her home and give her some love.

4. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    I drive at or under the speed limit in my DD. Iget in my BMW & I tend to exceed the posted.
    My bike, like you it seems impossible to stay at the posted when I go ridingon the weekends.

Paul

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I do the speed limit all the time. No exception. Matter of fact, I try to better it most times. And I am 57

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought speed limits were only suggestions?

If the speed limit is 65mph, I wasn't planning on being out that long anyway.

7. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    If you feel like you absolutely cant control your speed and that its actually a problem then yea you should sell it. But I personally wouldnt!

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Hey hey that's funny right there. Don't you know only your body ages, not your thinking. Yes some wisdom will be gotten thru age, but your primordial thinking is basically the same as your best younger years. How do I know this? Thru experience up to the age of 61 so far.

I ride like you. When in heavy traffic I do as traffic does mostly. In and around the burbs I drive and ride 5-10mph above the limit. In the country at least 45-50 and up depending. Just on the bike though I do find some nice corners or road with enough visibility and play between 50-90. Or even run 60-70 on the roads as an even cruising speed. Come in to little towns I slow down and just pass thru to get back up to speed. What ever I feel like.

Being an ex-racer I still have some decent skill and reflexes along with, I like to think, mental attitude for doing such things. I have calmed down since my younger days. I don't do some of the dumb ass stuff I did when younger and invincible (ha wisdom). Remember this is what motorcycles are about. The freedom to have fun at your own speed. Only you know what you can handle. Just because your 47 doesn't mean you have to get old and act a certain way. Sayings like "oh you're to old for that or doing those things" are BS in my book. :bs: I'll decide that myself thank you.

So it's really what you think and want to do in life. So if your really selling your bike......got any pictures, how much, where do you live? I'm always lookin. :heh:

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

10. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    You (taylor65) sound like a prime track days candidate.

By the way, I'm 66 and I only obey the speed limits in residential areas. I should know better, but I can't help it. My bike makes me do it.

11. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I appreciate your replys and advice. I live in florence, al. Close to the tn. Line. Alabama has some nice roads but not nearly as good as tennessee. Yes I'm not to far from barber and have thought of doing track days but haven't done any research into it. I will have to check into it. I have ben riding bikes since I was six and have almost always had some kind of bike to ride. I guess I'm just wondering if maybe I should give the street a break for a while. Its not like I get possesed or anything its just when the road opens up into some nice curves I feel like it would be a waste to not speed up in them. To me that is the fun of ridng a streetbike. Maybe I just need to find some new roads. I use to live in carlsbad ca. And I guess palomar mountain spoiled me. I don't live to far from deals gap I guess I need to try that.

12. crashburn

crashburn New Member

Map
    I drive slow in residential areas, out on highway, no, I go with flow of traffic.. Speed limits are byproducts of the fuel crisis of the 70's, they make no sense. I stay within my limits, and I don't drive like an ass (passing on right, splitting lanes, etc..)

13. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Taylor, i think about the same things as you. I'm 50 & have a 12yr old daughter. I ride fast but aware, only pass on the left, no lane splitting, etc. People wouldn't believe what I've lived thru, probably used up 7 of my 9 lives. Just being acutely aware at all times is a virtue to riding. Don't sell your street bike, imo.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Personally I wouldn't sell the bike, maybe take a break from it, but I think you'll regret it if you sold it. I am 46 and still feel the need to go as fast as I can safely manage, whether that is on the street or track, although it's been a while since I've been on the track. If you just use your head and keep in mind where you are and where you can safely ride fast I don't think that's being careless. As long as you stay within your riding abilities, going fast when it's safe to do so is part of the fun of riding IMO.

Cheers!

15. Scubalong

United States
    I think you should keep the bike. Take a trip back to Carlsbad and look for me and Jason we Will go for a long ride to Paloma, bellgrade, old 94, campo and Mexico if you have time :) You you like speed then Borego would be perfect for you.

16. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I liked borego but borego didn't like me. I was on my 86 vfr when a sheriff pulled me over with gun drawn and luckily didn't put me in jail. My speedo wasn't working at the time so I didn't know how fast I was going. But yeah the front and back side of palomar were always my favorite. You could nearly always count on the road being clean. Not always so here in alabama. Come across everything from gravel to cows in the road. Or a few weeks ago there were four horses loose on the road

17. Scubalong

United States
    I hope you get over the blue and wish you the best. I am not so sure how I can adjust from S. Ca to Alabama :chaingun:

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A great lesson from one of the really fast guys:

The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine

19. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    It hasn't been easy at times

20. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map

Seeing as you live near the Gap, get a 600, any brand, and go there at least once a week. You'll get out of this thinking. A road I think is even better than the gap is Hwy 28 down to Franklin. A real blast, and few cars.