Sort of free track day at NJ Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by dino71, Sep 10, 2009.

1. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    NESBA : Yamaha Demo Program

I am signed up for both the R6 and R1, make sure you read the requirements because you need to bring a suit or take a chance on what the dealer may or may not bring with them. Anyway I just wanted to get to word out because there are still spots open but hurry up they will fill fast. :thumbsup:

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Is this on September 21 at NJMP-Lightning?

If so, look for the red 1997VFR in the pits bike number 3:16.

Enjoy the demo ride!

BZ

3. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    No, its October 26th on Monday. Are you going to attend? :ninja:

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    God willing, but I may just be in the pits hanging out, not riding.

Not sure yet.

BZ

5. osb

osb New Member

Map
    15 minutes on a bike for that long of a haul to NJMP? Hmm.

Deciding..

6. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just received this email from NESBA, I would rather go to the track on Sunday rather on Monday. I went to the NESBA site to try and change it but the 25th it not yet listed. Perhaps it will be next week?

NESBA Member

Due to the overwhelming demand we have added two dates to our schedule.

October 25th NJMP-Thunderbolt
    October 17-18 Summit Point Main Course

Please sign up as soon as possible to reserve your spot.

Sincerely,
    NESBA

7. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just heard back from the boys at NESBA and the above email that I received from NESBA was not for the free 15 min per bike test ride, its was actually a regular track day. Is anyone from here going this Monday. I am signed up....I just have to talk myself into thinking that driving 4 hours round trip is worth riding a track for a combined 30min. So c'mon man...talk me into it!

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Dino:

I'll be their hanging with friends. I'll be arriving around 9 am.

BUT! Look for a black Ducati bike #17, and Red R6 bike #441 and a Gixxer 750 track bike (number I can't remember) and a Triumph 675 (girl rider) They should be all pitted together and these are friends. The all black Ducati 999 #17 is "betarace" from the VFRW board. If you pull up on a VFR and say you are from VFRW you'll have a home in the pits. Introduce yourself and they welcome you in.

So are you doing the Yamaha demo or a whole track day?

If the 'demo' then you will have fun but they don't let your flog the Yamaha's. You'll move at a nice street pace on the track for the demo ride.

If you signed up for a whole day you'll be riding the whole damn day in 20 minute sessions starting at 9:40 am to 5 pm.

A group rides first at 9 am, I group at 9:20 am and B group starts at 9:40 am and then it rotates in that order. 12 to 1 is lunch then back out you go (if you chose).

Hope to see you their!

BZ (Dan)

9. betarace

betarace New Member

I will be there with the 999. Look for black 999 in front of garage area with a green Toyota landcruiser. I am not a midget.

10. betarace

betarace New Member

n.b. if you are looking at a NESBA demo ride (i.e., 2 free sessions) separate from the Yamaha session, would advise signing up for the full day

11. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    So what you are trying to say is that there will be a pace setter? If thats the case I am not even going to bother to drive down there if I am only going to be allowed to ride it like an old lady. Please let me know Dan. I was only going to do the Yamaha demo track day with 15 min on a R1 and 15 min on a r6 but if I am reading your posting correctly I might not go at all. Its almost 2 hours for me to get to Millvile, if that's the case I can take my VFR to the Poconos and rail my bike up there and ten times the fun.

12. betarace

betarace New Member

on the R1/R6 etc Yamaha program, there is a strict no passing rule. That being said if you want to go fast, get to the front and go as fast as you care.

if you are doing a NESBA intro ride (i.e., 2 free sessions) on your bike, you can go as fast as you like and pass anywhere the bike is straight up and down.

your "ten times the fun" comment would be incorrect in either case. Track days are way better than street.

13. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info, I was about to bag this trip. I will definitely get to the front! And for the record riding in the Poconos is awesome, It might not be a track but its dam close to it. You need to come up and join us in March when the weather will be a little more favorable. Are you coming from Va to NJ? That's got to be like a 5 hour trip.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yes dino71, betarace is driving all the way from VA to NJ for a track day. He is signed up for the whole day though and I am driving two hours (in my truck) to be with friends for most of the day.

dino, have you ever done a track day? I ask not trying to be a douche so please don't tale my question the wrong way. But I have to seriously question someone who thinks that riding certain roads on the street and track days are damn close. Dude, they are nothing like each other, I promise you. Actually I'll make you a bet, a friendly gentelmens bet. If you sign up next year with NESBA and do at least a couple track days, then go back to your favorite roads in the Poconos, they will still be fun, but you'll realize how slow the riding really is and about 1/4 of the way through the ride you'll be longing for the track.

Man this is so weird becasue betarace and I were just talking about this very thing. We go through Turn One at Thunderbolt fast enough that the bikes 'push' to the outside of the track, not slide but 'push'. Faster track day riders and ex-racers on this board will understand what I mean. Its a hell of a feeling. You are hitting the apex, looking up the track through the turn, rolling on the throttle the bike is turning but also moving to the outside of the track onto the race line. First couple times it happened to me I thought I was going to go off the track, but you don't. The Control Riders had to reassure me that is the process. One was laughing and saying "your just going fast enough to do it". I've NEVER gone that fast on the street and to be honest I don't know of a tunr on the street designed for that kind of riding.

dino, I can see it now, you start doing track days, you'll be hooked and never look back.

God willing, see you Monday.

BZ

15. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    You're a hell of a salesman!

16. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes Bubba this will be my first track day and I am looking forward to it even though it will be somewhat abbreviated but I am sure it will be fun and the weather looks like its going to be sunny and low 60's. I am actually going to stay at the Hilton or Days Inn a few miles from the track so if anyone else is going to be there Sunday later afternoon then maybe we can meet for a beer/dinner and watch the MotoGP race at 6pm. I am look forward to possibly seeing of you guys.

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds good dino71!

BZ

18. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I will PM you my cell number so give me a call when you get to the track. I will be there at about 6:40 for the 7:00 meeting.

19. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    next year at NJMP will be busy.. Tony's track days has an offering of 6-8, NYSBC will have perhaps 10, with half for Thunderbolt. I've had the viffer on both, and Thunderbolt is the nicest. just love that sound over 6500rpm.
    NYSBC had a day on OCtober 12. it was cold, and the track was cold. I'd be careful at a november day. quite a few did not heed Jimmy's advice to be cautious, and they hit the dirt.

20. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Got it dino, will call Monday.