Shad Top Box Rack

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by mrspeirs, Oct 16, 2016.

1. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

Hey guys.

New owner to a 2014 VFR800.

I have a question to anyone who has managed to fit Shad Top Box Rack to their bike.
    Just having a clearance issue.

In the instructions it make no reference to the 3rd Smaller bolt on the pillion grab handles, which is attached to one of the fairing panels. When you put the rack in it raises the pillion grab handles up about 5mm which pushes the mount for the smaller bolt up making it flex the plastic and also not line up. Also the rack seems to foul on the plastic underneath where it comes out from underneath the pillion seat. So much so that when I started slowly tightening the bolts the plastic started to creak like it was going to crack. So stopped and removed the rack arms.

Anyone got any advice or had this, or have a shad rack and not experienced it?

Thanks in advance

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Have had a look at the installation instructions I found on the internet. From them it appears that the small bolts are not used.

It's hard to work out what you mean without pictures.

3. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

Quite. However fitting the rack lifts the grab handles up by 5mm which makes those tabs on the grab handle push the plastics up too and flex them.

Just had another go at it today without fitting the grab handles, so just the rack, and it still fouls the plastic underneath the racks. It's actually split the plastic! Got a picture of it too. I just don't think this batch or design of rack works! The only way I could get it to fit without destroying the plastics any further was to pack it up with 4mm of washers! Which is bonkers!

Will try and add pictures shortly to show what I mean.

4. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

image1.jpg
    Here's the crack the rack has created. Just no clearance given with the rack so it just pushes down onto the plastics and ultimately have cracked them.

image2.jpg

These are the plastic attachments. As you can see when the grab handles are raised up the lug raises too and stresses the plastics. They are on both sides also. No mention of them in the instructions.

Just wondering if there was 2 different ways honda did this i.e. changed the fittings mid model year and I have a different rack fitting?

5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    They are all like that. I would suggest contacting shad.

6. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

Have given Shad a quick email. See what they come back.
    Somewhat annoyed that this rack has split my fairings on both sides! That won't be a cheap fix I'm sure.

I've actually ordered 2 racks by mistake so I'm waiting for that to arrive to see if there is a difference in them. I've noticed that between the two rack arms they end up at different angle on the carrier plate. I'm hoping i've just got a badly made one and this new one will be right. If not they'll be going back and I'll go Givi or something.

7. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Go OEM, expensive but worth it.

8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hope you get it sorted when the new ones arrive.

I had the same dilemma when I bought mine but like Nelix decoded to go the OEM way as I intend keeping the bike.

9. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

So sort of got it sorted.
    Ended up ditching the grab handles and packing up the rack with washers to give it the clearance required to get over the plastics. All fitted and works lovely. Never heard back from Shad regarding my issues though.

10. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I would keep on firing off emails to them each one getting stronger. Then if no reply use the power of the media.