service member riders

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by DeannaLee, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Curious if any of the service member riders here have taken the new sport bike course that was brought on line this summer. It is not yet available in my area and was curious what it is all about?

I read an article from the Navy Times talking about what the course was designed to teach but am unsure if it actually gets the job done.

ANy info out there? Thanks.

2. silver_vfr05

silver_vfr05 New Member

What would you like to know about the course? Is there anything specific? I've taken the class and teach it using my VFR.

I think it's a very good addition to the motorcycle safety training the military provides and if you're in the Navy it's a requirement. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

I am in New England, the closets facilities are Hansom AFB or the Naval Station in RI.

Anything that you can tell me about it would be great. Mostly curious of the opinions of those that have taken it or teaching it on how good it is.

I am a CG member by the way.

Thanks

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'm a USAF Sport Bike Coach. I found the course to be remarkably demanding yet extremely satisfying to ride/teach. I learned more in the week it took to train us coaches than I have in 20 years of riding. If you get a chance, come down to KWRI, we'll let any military member in if there is room.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. silver_vfr05

silver_vfr05 New Member

I didn't read the article in the Navy Times so I don't know how much you already know about the course. Let's see, where to start.

The course was developed through MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) from the request of the military, that's why it's called the Military SportBike Rider Course. The main focus of the course is safety as well as having the students understand that the challenge of minimizing risk is controlling personal behavior. Some of the basis of the course was also provided by Nick Ienatsch and from his book Sport Riding Techniques. The course was not developed to teach the student how to race but it does provide racing techniques adapted for the street. We do encourage the students to go to the track or to some sort of advanced riding school if they are looking to go fast and to utilize what their bikes were built for; high speed and cornering. So with that said, here's a quick breakdown of the course.

The course itself is 1 day. There's classroom time in the morning then riding bikes on the range for the rest of the day. Some of the new techniques that are taught in the course are the stop and evade movements, trail braking, and the forward-and-in body position. The course speeds are faster and the exercises were specifically developed just for sport bikes. There are a total of 8 range exercises and only 3 are similar to the other 2 courses for street bikes. There is so much I could write about but it would be much more beneficial if you took the course yourself. You're a long way from VA and the offer from "KC-10 FE" in NJ looks like a drive as well but in my opionion the course is worth taking. If you have an instruction or guide for the Coast Guard that is similar to the Navy Traffic Safety Program, you might want to take a look and see what you need to do. That particular instruction allows the service member to attend the training during working hours and without being charged leave.

6. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

KC / Silver,
    Thanks guys, I take the advanced riders course every two years just for my own personal refresher, even after 13 years of riding, I find it beneficial each time. Once this new course came on line I have been extremely interested and even got an invite under orders to take the trip to VA to help eval the course. Was unable to make because of prior commitments but plan to take it as soon as it is available in the area.

CG regs already have existing requirements to take riders course but are getting ready to mirror both Air Force and Navy with the three year refresher if you are under 26 (think I got that right).

With as many young/new riders swinging a leg over some high performance bikes, this course was a great idea. As both of you are coaches is there any plan that you know of for MSF to make this available to everyone.

Thanks again guys, very helpful info.

7. silver_vfr05

silver_vfr05 New Member

Sometime last yr during the development of the course I heard some side conversation about making it available to everyone. The only thing I can say is that if they did, there probably would be some minor changes to the course and definitely they'd have to change the name.

8. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Is it open to retired military? and what are the Fees? AND do they have one in cali?
    Like Vandenburg air force base?

9. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

First, the course I teach has absolutely zero to due with the MSF. They didn't contribute a thing to this course. It was designed by USAF riders for USAF riders. I think the main reason the course is so good is because all the red tape & BS were filtered out since it was riders that did the leg work.

Second, the course on KWRI is available primarily to active duty first. The main reason for this is because AD are forced to take it. After that, anyone who desires to operate a two wheeled vehicle on the installation is elligible to take the course.

Not an all inclusive list but some of the main points: proper throttle control, body position & lean angle, braking & mentoring on not being an idiot.

KC-10 FE out...

10. silver_vfr05

silver_vfr05 New Member

KC-10 FE,

I'm very curious about the AF motorcycle program. You teach a sport bike class that was developed solely by AF riders. I know that the very first question posed in this thread was about the Navy's Military SportBike Riders Course (MSRC) because I knew about the Navy Times article. Do you teach any other courses that are nationally accredited? Besides this new course that the Navy teaches, it has been teaching the BRC and ERC straight from MSF. Those courses are taught nation wide and with my qualifications I teach in the civilian community for various ranges and schools. The DMV and most insurance companies also recognize these courses. Does the AF provide the same courses?

11. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I am a MSF coach as well as a USAF coach. I teach the BRC, ERC & the USAF Sport Bike classes on base exclusively.

I attended a MSF seminar in Mar & there are changes coming to the MSF curriculum. One of the biggest complaints is the course are not challenging enough for more experienced riders. The MSF's fix is to offer the ERC II which is kinda like a ERC's ERC. If I understood the message they were sending, it will be much more challenging street riding techniques as opposed to low speed parking lot stuff. Don't get me wrong here, the MSF ERC is a very good course but there is more that could be passed along & that's what the USAF course does. I would expect the USAF Sport Bike course to be adopted by the entire USAF very shortly. Since McGuire is the largest joint base in the system, we get a large number of Army, Navy, Marine & CG people. Trust me when I tell you, unless you have track experience, the USAF course will have you grinning from ear to ear. It is VERY challenging & every single student I've had come thru gets personally motivated to pass this course. I've also seen 4 low sides & one high side in 4 classes. Every single one of them could be attributed to rider error & every single rider knew this before they had there bike back upright. One guy fixed his bike with his tool kit on the side of the range & was back in action before the current exercise was over.

If anyone is local to the KWRI area, give me a PM & I will sponsor you on base on a week end or night & show you what we do.

KC-10 FE out...

12. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I just graduated the MSF Rider Coach Class yesterday!!! It was a long and tough 10 day class. There has been some talk about getting the sport bike class here in USAFE recently with a few of the recent incidents. Regarding that class, is it taught on a standard range, as the one we have here @ Spang is a modified range slightly smaller than the normal range, although it is MSF Certified. KC, as soon as I get my RC #, I'll send it to you, and register on the RETSORG? page. The sport bike class is something that I have been trying to get here @ Spang for quite some time, now that I'm certified (certifiable???) perhaps I'll be able to do a little more.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  13. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

The range on KWRI is slightly smaller than a standard MSF range. I think it's only like 10' or so. It is a BRC & ERC range. The Sport Bike Course is on the same range but uses different markings. Some are exactly the same in the same spot but most are different.

One of the guys who developed the course is stationed at ETAD. If he can't help you, I'm sure I can either. I think you mentioned his name in a PM some time ago. If he can't help you, the chief instructor is in the Reserves out of Pittsburg, PA. AMC paid for him to come to KWRI & teach. I'm sure he will be more than willing to take a trip to Germany. As long as a bike can be arranged for him that is. A trip to the Nurburgring wouldn't hurt either.

KC-10 FE out...

14. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'm supposed to have a meeting with the NCOIC of Wing Safety with all of the other MSF Instructors this coming Tuesday, and I'll bring it up to him. I'm really pushing to get this course here, as I think it would be quite beneficial.