San Diego Ride 9-20-09 (with mishap)

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by derstuka, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Long, glad your OK brother!

BZ

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Viff, I like the FZ1. Great bike my man.

However, Bubba Zanetti has it on good authority your girl is too good lookin for you:tongue:

BZ

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1

That is a good one BZ, :bounce::spit:

4. Spectre

Spectre New Member

Scubalong, I join everyone else in being so glad that you came through this mishap with only minor injuries! You do indeed have a guardian angel on your shoulder.

At any rate, you wrote "As last minute of our ride, Come to a turn just like every other. Half way in the turn feel the front wheel hitting some thing. My girl dance from side to side violenly. I try to calm her down, Kick to the right and left try to save her.................."

I'm a newbie who is trying to mentally reconstruct and better understand the rapid sequence of events that led to your lowside, based upon the photos, as well as your above quoted description. (By the way, I'm no stranger to lowsides! :redface:). If you can further reconstruct what might've happened, we all stand to learn much.

Based on the photos and your preliminary description of what happened, I'm first imagining you leaning your motorcycle into this left hand turn, when suddenly the front tire hits something that caused it to momentarily loose traction. (From the photos it appears as though the road surface of the curve where you lowsided has a rather pronounced midline stripe of what look like such nasties as accumulated tar, oily deposits, etc. Plus, there's those double-yellow paint stripes, which of course can also be very slick.)

I'm trying to better understand (1) Why didn't the front tire lock back up and then continue tracking through this turn, assuming that you did nothing abrupt that might've upset the bike?; (2) If, for whatever reasons, the front tire lost traction and couldn't regain traction while the motorcycle was leaned over in this left side, I'm imagining that the usual result would be a simple lowside, rather than what you've described: "Half way in the turn feel the front wheel hitting some thing. My girl dance from side to side violenly."

Your description of the motorcycle bouncing from side-to-side makes me wonder if, in the heat of the moment, you might've inadvertently grabbed the front brake and/or throttle, which could've suddenly upset and thrown the bike to the outside of the curve, into a potential highside, which would've thrown you off and up into the air as the bike violently yawed back and forth, but your instincts ended up choosing a low-side rather than a far more dangerous high-side?

The violent side-to-side and bucking motions you've described remind me of a video from Reg Pridmore's web site. ( CLASS::Video ). After clicking on this link, scroll down to the next to the last Mid-Ohio link (",Some cool footage of Reg following a student, Reg on the VFR800, the student on a more powerful bike.") Click on this video, and then watch closely, 2.30 minutes into the video.

Scubalong, Jason, and Amanda: Thank you for this thread and photos. I hope that Amanda and Scubalong will soon see fit to wear high-quality riding pants instead of blue jeans.

5. HPzie

HPzie New Member

Jason
    This is Hai but they call me "Bruce"lee .... j/k . Thanks for staying and helping my brother Long with his bike. He is very lucky walking away with just some scratches. Thanks again and please be safe out there everyone.

6. Scubalong

United States
    I am respect your input.

[
    Your description of the motorcycle bouncing from side-to-side makes me wonder if, in the heat of the moment, you might've inadvertently grabbed the front brake and/or throttle, which could've suddenly upset and thrown the bike to the outside of the curve, into a potential highside, which would've thrown you off and up into the air as the bike violently yawed back and forth, but your instincts ended up choosing a low-side rather than a far more dangerous high-side?

The violent side-to-side and bucking motions you've described remind me of a video from Reg Pridmore's web site. ( CLASS::Video ). After clicking on this link, scroll down to the next to the last Mid-Ohio link (",Some cool footage of Reg following a student, Reg on the VFR800, the student on a more powerful bike.") Click on this video, and then watch closely, 2.30 minutes into the video.

Scubalong, Jason, and Amanda: Thank you for this thread and photos. I hope that Amanda and Scubalong will soon see fit to wear high-quality riding pants instead of blue jeans.[/QUOTE]

First I want to thank you for your response and comment, As for the jean issue I do have riding pant, I choose to wear jean that morning because it was a warm day and we not planning to do agressive ride just an easy ride around the contryside and the mountain. However thing happen and I learn the hardway.

As for the incident I have look at the video and seem to be similar to the student at the end of the video the diffrent is I lost the bike due to the side of the road and in the middle of the turn. As I said in the post I wasn't come to the turn at high speed. If I did I would be high side and flew over the cliff. All I can say is watch the road and the view in front of you before the turn.

The conclusion is accident do happen, ride with your own pase and watch for the debris on the road wear all protective gears.

7. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow that really sucks. I'm glad to see you didn't get hurt bad. Bikes can be replaced, lives can't. Good luck with your new bike search.

8. Stranger

Stranger New Member

Map
    Wow, glad you came though that one with as little damage as possible. Bikes can be fixed but bodies are much harder to repair. Chalk it up to one more story to tell the grandkids.

9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

If you would have seen the size and volume of rocks (and scree) that I picked/cleaned off the road, you would have seen why his bike did not recover from this. It was a sharp blind corner, we were hitting it at at decent speed, and there was lots of debris on it that could not be seen upon initial entry. It is many times impossible to recover from something like hitting a decent sized piece of debris on your front tire when your bike is leaned over as his was. Each situation is different. Oh, and in-regards to high-siding....that happens more often when the rear tire breaks loose, and suddenly regains traction. When the front tire loses it, it usually just low-sides.

Be easy on Mr Long though, as he has had a bad enough week as it is. Don't press too much, as this just re-opens old wounds that are trying to heal. His baby is dead :rip: and he is in mourning right now still. He has worn riding pants every single time I have ridden with him on the backroads as well. Amanda is West's woman, so you will have to talk to him about her wearing jeans. She was wearing everything else but though.

Long did the best job he could given the circumstances, and a low side where he was mostly uninjured was the result. We can sit here and speculate all day about how this could have happened, and that could have happened, but the simple fact is, it happened, he did a good job trying to save it, he saved his own ass pretty good, and what you see above is the rest of the result. Each circumstance for each crash is different, and not all things are recoverable. The most important thing is that he is ok, and can live to talk about it.

Enough said.... :vtr2:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  10. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Long, glad you're ok!

What would the world do without you?
    [​IMG]

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Glad you are OK. Bikes are easy to replace. Skin isn't.

And now more people know about how wonderfull AAA motorcycle coverage is. They HATE motorcycles. They push legislation against them at every chance. I won't give them a dime. And they won't help us.

12. Scubalong

United States
    Thanks

Frank, I wouldn't hold my breath for the 09:rolleyes: As for the bike the guy at the shop think it a total, But that have to be decided by the insurance adjuster. I should hear from them by the end of the week. I am in the process of getting another VFR:wink: Will keep you all posted.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    damn, Long. Guess that mean you won't be coming up for the halloween party? or will you (God forbid) drive... <blech>

Glad you are okay, bro.

14. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Get that GSXR Long and meet me in Apple Valley next Thursday night and we will ride to Vegas for bike wekend! Glad your ok buddy. I know how you feel, Ive been there twice. Now your limping on 2 legs :)

15. Scubalong

United States
    Gsxr...........?

Brian, I am not sure if I can make it to Vegas with you, I am in the process of getting a new bike. I just make an offer for an 06 Black VFR ($6300) waiting for the seller to response. I also look at an 03 Silver last night only 1500 miles the bike is spotless. I like it but the fact is 03 and he want it $6999. The blue book is only $5800. Hopefully I will get an answer for the 06 Black some time today. If evrything go well I should have a new bike by next week.:vtr2::pray::crutch::crutch:

16. Phong[scubalong]nephew

Phong[scubalong]nephew New Member

Uncle dont be embarrassed to ride my GSXR you might change your mind after you ride it and abandon your VFR for a GSXR :)

17. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Scuba,
    Sorry to hear about what happened, and glad your OK. Just saw your getting another VFR, best of luck with this one.

Action

18. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    Sorry for your loss Scubalong but glad you only ended up with a few bruises! I enjoy reading all of your guys adventures and it truely wouldn't be the same without you in them. Keep your chin up, I'm sure there is another VFR just waiting for an adventure with you....

19. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Wow, that was a happy ending...in a way...anytime that you can walk away from a crash is! Sorry for your lost, Long. A group of us are heading off to the Ortega Hwy this weekend and hope that everyone and every bike comes out intact...Just want to start off the new year went a fun ride. In case any of you folks from SD are interested. Sat. Jan 3rd. 9am, meet at the Chevron gas Station off of Central (15 Hwy), Lake Elsinore. Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!!

20. Scubalong

United States
    Check out my new girl

Btay, Thanks for your concern, Check out my new girl:vanity: She is a BLACK BEAUTY. As they said when you have black you aint going back.:ncb:
    BTW Derstuka and I pick her up 5 days after the wreck.