Running rich

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OZ VFR, Aug 25, 2017.

1. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I replaced my thermostat 6 months ago. The old one was stuck open, and would warm very slowly. then the temperature wouldn't rise above 160*f . The new one wants to keep the temp at 170*f unless I'm in stop and go traffic when it will rise at times to the point that the fan kicks in. The only other time it rises above 175*f is when the air temperature is above 80*f.

All that to say that your results are normal in comparison to my '98

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I just checked a video of my bike running up a great hard charging road mid summer and it varied from 76 to 80C, but was mostly showing 77 or 78C.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    There goes that idea

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Remove the pc111. At least you can then start from known good.

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map

My 08 sits at 76-78C most of the time in free running riding. Stop / start traffic gets it all the way up (London) - 110C ish..

Does it go up to kick in fan after a ride? Should only take a couple of minutes once warm

6. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Its pretty normal temp wise, I was just used to the old thermostat where bike would sit on 86*C most of the time, and would never drop below 82*C even in winter.

Removing the PCIII is my next move.

7. Stephen Black

Stephen Black New Member

United States

Digging up an old post.

My 6th gem seems to be having the problem. My brother and I have dove into the entire fueling system, tried out a different fuel tank, three different sets of throttlwbodies, checked engine timing four different times, removed rapidbike fuel mapping, added it back in, added a giant adjustment from the auto tune system...
    We also tore apart the cooling system and discovered that my thermostat housing had two fully funded up/clogged ports on the upper end of it. My water pump was coated in a buildup of debris. We replaced the water pump and the mounting points for hoses, replaced the thermostat housing. We booked two thermostats twice to test them for functionality. Seems to check out okay.

We put new vacuum hoses onto the throttlebodies.

The bike used to surge while idling. We got it to even out. But still while riding I lose all power.

After tonight's test ride, the bike kept dying on me. Now we're removing the stator to check electrics.

But this bike had a new stator installed after the charging system failed on me after riding from Georgia to California when I moved there three years ago. I rode through Winter Storm Troy and then rode the bike as my daily driver for half a year before that charging system took the dive.

Since then the bike has been in my dad's garage in Tennessee and I've been riding a CB500x.

If you have any answers by now, I'm all ears. Today was the tenth day straight of working on my VFR with my brother. I flew out here to TN to ride my bike with him to California as our vacation. We've squandered it in the process and have pushed back all plans.

There goes holiday!

8. SweViffer

SweViffer New Member

Sweden
    Sounds electrical to me? How is the yellow ground joint looking? Check the main fuse A holder as well. And main fuse B including the small charging cable from that fuse holder.

And if that don't fix your problems next step is to clean all (ALL!) electrical connectors.