Right "drain tube" purpose on 84 Interceptor 500 Plastic Air box?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Mtb1098, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Mtb1098

Mtb1098 New Member

Dominican Republic
    Tying to recover a 1984 that suffered an airbox/carb fire. Found a replacement plastic airbox but cannot find any diagrams or photos showing what the right-side drain nipple under the plastic airbox connects to. Fairly sure the left side nipple connects to the Crankcase Vent System, but can't find anything for the right side to connect to. Is it just a drain tube, to be vented to atmosphere? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    what u need 2 know is all in the service manual, ok ? most likely a drain.

..............which can be accessed online.

3. Mtb1098

Mtb1098 New Member

Dominican Republic
    I've been through both the Honda Manual and Clymer and found nothing on it. Not shown in any hose diagram, or mentioned in the carb section that I can find. Checked Parts Catalogs for the diagram for the airbox and nothing is shown. Read several build threads to see if there might be a mention or picture of it but didn't see anything. So I thought I would ask the pros. Maybe someone can tell me what they see on their bikes. Else I will treat it as a drain.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    our captain 80's will have ur answer.............

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I'll have to dig out an 84 air box and see which nipple you're talking about, it's been a while since I've had an 84 on my lift. The two 500 in my shop right now are both non-Cali 86. Is it the front or rear right (as sitting on the bike) bottom of the air box? The left front nipple has a clear-ish 2 inch long bullet shaped closed-end tube to see if you have excess blow-by in the airbox.

Do you know if this was a California bike originally? Also see if the original carb vent sticker is on the inner fender under the seat. It will show the venting connections if there. You don't want to "vent" anything to atmosphere below the air filter on the airbox. There is no need and you could be pulling in unfiltered air.

You can certainly connect one to the crankcase vent system and plug anything else. Hell, you can plug them all and run a little filter on the crankcase vent if you want. I would use the left front as a "drain" with a plug on it if you felt you needed to, its where anything will settle when parked. That's why that little clear bullet is there.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    That left front drain is what they usually call a duck bill, it stays shut to prevent unfiltered air from entering but will open to let out occasional accumulation.... other bikes have a filter with a one-way valve in it and drain hose extends down along with other fuel vent/coolant overflow, etc.
    I don't know anything about your old bikes, but would think it's a crankcase vent hose..... beneficial, just have to find out where to connect.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The left front on the 500 is not the split design. It's just to let you know you got shit in there. Yes, in stock form (on 49 state bike) one hose from the airbox will connect to the crankcase vent catch tank.

raYzerman likes this.
  8. Mtb1098

Mtb1098 New Member

Dominican Republic
    Thanks for the responses. Finally found the part, what Captain 80s called the "clear bullet", on a parts diagram. So it is a drain and needs to be capped. Again, thanks.

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    What about it's location made you refer to the "Right"? This could have gone MUCH quicker.

; - )

10. Mtb1098

Mtb1098 New Member

Dominican Republic
    Because the drain nipple I was asking about was on the airbox's lower right hand side. The used airbox I purchased had two nipples, one lower right and the other lower left. The crankcase vent line, the only rubber line that wasn't torched in the fire, pretty much lines up to the left side vent, so the right side one was my question. Thanks again.

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Got it. I never did dig out an 84 airbox, so I was going just off of 86. I'm curious now tho.