riding jacket brand?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by astrnaughtwanabe, Dec 11, 2012.

1. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
  2. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    OK case closed.
    Icon is definitely now my favorite gear.

3. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    A few people mentioned MotorCyclegear.com. Nobody mentioned about the pictures and reviews they make. They take all their own pictures and usually have about 15 pictures of each jacket. Liner in, liner out, front, back, pockets etc. Their reviews also tell you what they don't like about it. My suggestion is to start here first. Find the Jacket you like and look at all the pictures and read the reviews. IMHO the best website for pictures and an honest review.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

She could help me polish my Polish anytime.. ;)

5. ChuckyD

ChuckyD New Member

United States
    some people here raised the issue of jackets that are made in china having poor quality. while generally true, I came across these Macna jackets that are made in China and sell for $600!

If you are looking for hi-viz jacket because you want to be seen, check out the Glow Rider jacket as they also light up at night to increase your visibility.

6. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've just worn out an Olympia after 7 years. Kept me cool, warm and dry, for $200 it did OK.
    I've replaced it with a last year JR Alter Ego from the local shop for $175(discountinued sale) seems to feel a little more substantial then the Olympia and should also be decent for all weather.
    If I was allowed to spend more money on myself it would be Aerostich.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. Badbilly

United States
    The mcna jacket above is unusual in that it's leather, underneath a water resistant fabric. comes with a thermal liner too.

Gotta remember, the Chinese were wearing fancy duds whilst most of our RIP relatives were running around in fur jockstraps and eating gluten free veggies and any two or four legged critter they could kill with a big rock.

8. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    I really, really like the jacket my wife got me for Christmas. It's a Fieldsheer Razor 2.0. Great liner, excellent armor, pockets in the right places, and venting for warmer weather. I located and added the optional back armor in place of the soft padding.

Rode 4 1/2 hours to Birmingham & then home on chilly December 28th. Hands were a little cold, and feet were getting there, but my torso and legs stayed warm. Don't want to stress test it, :nono: but I think the protection would be at least as good as any of the other mid price ($500 retail) jackets out there. :strong: :thumbsup: My wife didn't pay that much, of course. :biggrin::cool:

razorjacketx.jpg

I usually wear it with an Icon high visibility (military) vest.

post-22894-0-62273700-1356940747.jpg

9. Badbilly

United States
    Seems like maybe if something in dayglo is needed, one of those mesh vests should do the trick over any decent jacket. Best deals on jackets are from the last season, or last year since in reality, we are sold on fashion over function..

A string of those LEDs that some dudes stick on the underneath side of thier bikes might be good if ya really have to glow in the dark. With some creativity, one could probably even make up some clever signage like "If you can see this, my SO of the same gender, fell off."

10. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    I'm kind of open minded about riding gear. For me it has to work properly in terms of protection, fit, function (like some ventilation and jacket lining so it can used in a wider range of temperatures), and it needs to look good. Finally, it needs to be affordable. Well gents, you can't get any more affordable than this:

Cycle Gear's BiLT Trackstar leather jacket and pants: Street Gear - Men's Street Leather Motorcycle Apparel - Cycle Gear

For less than $300 you can have the jacket and pants. Here's mine in all black.

[​IMG]

I like these because they fit me, they look good, they function properly, and it has the armor in the right places. Plus the fit and finish is every bit as good as any from Joe Rocket and others (I've owned a few). The fit is true to size (American size that is).

Oh yeah. Jacket and pants are both made in Pakistan so it must be good (because it's not made in China). Unfortunately Pakistan harbors terrorists so that means my jacket may not meet the "good" criteria. Plus it's Cycle Gear housebrand so that's two points against it! :wink:

BTW did I mention that Cycle Gear guarantees their gear for 5 years? Yup. 5 years. Anything goes wrong, you return it and get a replacement. YOu can also order this online and if it doesn't fit, return at your nearest Cycle Gear store.

11. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Even most of the branded stuff these days comes from China/Pakistan/Thailand/somewhere where the labour is cheap. Try it, check out everything you own, chances are most of it comes from one of the above mentioned places. Jackets? I have a GPIMoto vented jacket which does the trick but I wouldn't recommend to anyone and an old leather jacket which is great.

12. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I went with the Joe Rocket interceptor jacket. Inner liner, and where it comes together at the top just below the zipper it hides more zippers, so the sleeves come off to reveal mesh. Fairly easy to put back together. Water resistant, not 100% water proof, but does keep one fairly dry. Not that I've been caught in any storms. Elbow, kidney, and back protection.

[​IMG]

13. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
  14. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    They are out of many sizes right now but you can't beat the price. Link They are the cheaper (chinese) brother of tourmaster. I have personally crash tested this jacket and it sacrificed itself for my skin. It ended up with two small holes in it. One on my shoulder and one on my elbow. What isn't being said here is that none of these are very good in high impact situations. Although nothing in your price range will be. After a 50 mph launch and landing the only road rash I had was on my knees. I did not wear my sliders kevlar jeans because I was going to work. But my work pants (fire retardent ) did not even have the knees tore out of them. The rash on my knees came from impact and the only thing that would have saved that is armor. For $60 I was well pleased with the performance of this jacket. They come with a zipper that can be sewn to your pants also to prevent the jacket from coming up during a crash but again it is only as strong as the thread holding it on.

My advice if you are just riding around anything is better than nothing. If you expect to be taking chances wait till you can afford leather, and if you are playing ricky racer on the street sell your bike! Smart riding will save more skin than any jacket ever will.

Got the t-shirt. I want to point out that every piece of safety equipment I had on failed. It is no longer serviceable. But all my skin is still with me. And my shoulder would have been much worse without the armor in this jacket.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That right there is one smart looking jacket.

I had a Joe Rocket that saw many miles so I got rid of it in favour of a Tourmaster "WATER RESISTANT" jacket. Don't expect to find water proof cause you are likely to be disappointed. But that is another story.

When my present jacket wears out, I have every intention to go back to Joe Rocket. But with the low miles I am riding these days, that may be a long time coming.

16. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I just purchased the Tourmaster Transition 3.0 jacket at the Toronto bike show. Got it on sale for $125.00. I have only been out twice so far wearing it and was very pleased with it. It was just above freezing and I stayed nice and warm, it seemed to move well with me on the bike and it was mentioned to me how noticible the reflective piping is.
    I have a little extra cash now so I am going to look for matching pants and boots to complete the riding kit. I will have to wait till the summer to see how cool it is with the liner out and the wind flaps open.

17. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Craigs list is your friend if you are shopping for gear on a budget. You have to be willing to wait a little while to find what you want. And, you may have to look at several items to get one that is in good condition. I looked at several jackets before I found one that fit right, didn't have any weird smells, and wasn't beat up. I ended up with a pretty nice Alpinestars (with the liner and full armor) for $100.

Most of my gear was obtained through Craigs list adds. Just make sure you meet the seller in a public place, and/or bring a friend along with you. You can usually get a pretty good idea about the seller with a phone call and a physical meeting, and then decide if you think they are selling a quality item. Usually items like motorcycle gear are being sold because someone out grew it, sold their bike, or bought another one that fits them better.

Items to be careful about are Helmets and footwear. Getting boots that stink would, well, stink, but that could be fixed... Helmets are a little trickier. You don't want one that has been dropped (even from only a few feet) or in a crash. And stay away from any helmet that has been repainted.

18. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Of course with all of that said, the gear on my wish list is a Motoport jacket and pant set.

19. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thought I'd throw this out there: Speed and Strength Hell 'n Back Jacket Product Reviews
    The jacket isn't expensive but comes loaded with features. I've used it on a 60 degree day, pulled the shell sleeves off and ridden in 40 degree typhoon rain and it's held up beautifully. Fortunately I haven't inspected the particle size of the pavement with it on yet so the durability and impact assessment are (and will hopefully remain) untested! The added hydration system is a nice benefit too!

20. Badbilly

United States
    Anybody got a link to biker fashion shows? So far, the best one is still Sturgis IMO.