Ride on Sun. 5/31

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by Chuckman49, May 12, 2009.

1. betayzman

betayzman New Member

Chuckman, Thanks for organizing the ride. I'll be there! David

2. betayzman

betayzman New Member

xeipher, I'm planning to go on Chuckman's ride tomorrow and I noticed you live in La Jolla/UTC. I'm assuming you'll be coming up the 15 through Temecula?? If so, would you like to meet here and then ride up to the meet at the Chevron of Highland? Let me know. David

3. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Hey awesome betayzman. I was looking for someone to ride with upto Chevron of Highland. I will PM you my number, call me and we shall plan to meet close to your place and then ride up.

4. shaynej

shaynej New Member

just got back from scrubbing the tires. Looks like the list is up to 10. See you in the morning...

5. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

SWEET! Gonna be a blast! Weather is looking good too. Partly sunny 'til 10AM then clear and 70 degrees. See you all in the morning. To Xeipher and David, I will be at the 215N and Van Buren exit in front of the March Air Base Museum entrance until 8:30 AM if you guys want to ride up with me, otherwise I will see you guys there. :thumbsup:

6. betayzman

betayzman New Member

Meet Up @ 8:30

Chuckman, Xeipher and I plan to meet up with you @ 8:30 off the 215 and Van Buren exit. See you then. David

7. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Latest information on VIFFERAVER (Dean)

he was taken to Arrowhead Medical Center. Michael (hidesertmlb) is enroute. He is ok. They will keep him overnight for observation.

8. got2twistit

got2twistit New Member

That's great news!

9. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey what happened to VIFFERAVER ? im in lake arrowhead so maybe i should join on the next rides ?

10. hidesertmlb

hidesertmlb New Member

United States
    Map
    I posted this on my home turf (VFRD.com), so I'll re-post here. No disrespect to VFRWorld peeps, which is also a great site dedicated to VFR owners. To a lesser extent on this board, the anonymity of my post is self-evident, but I'll copy-and-paste anyhow.

Know that he is OK, but in pain. We should wish him a speedy recovery so he is back on two feet.

-------------

originally posted here:
    A First Responder's Account Of A Rider Going Down - VFRD

It's been a long day for those of us who went out on this morning's ride. I just wanted to let those involved in this morning's ride know that the rider who went down, who I will refer to as RiderX for the remainder of this post, will be OK. I just returned from the regional medical center where he was admitted, and had a chance to briefly chat with him. He is coherent and responsive, but in a lot of pain. I'll do my best in trying to be succinct (I'm really gonna try)...

This morning we had a planned ride meet. We met up at 9:00, to depart at 9:30. I dusted off my 4th gen prior to this morning's ride, excited knowing that there was another 4th gen on the roster. Since I've started riding with other local VFRD members last year, it's been a fun experience for me. I was looking forward to familiar faces and some new ones who were on this morning's roster. There were a few riders who frequent the other VFR website who were at the meet-up site today. In total, there were seven of us. Before departing, a call-out of ride order was made, based on riding speed preference and a gauge of rider skill. As with my usual slow self, I'm OK hanging out at the back, so I was to be at position #5. RiderX said he was a slow rider so he comfortable in taking position #6. So there it was- riding position was set. Everyone concurred it was time to depart and start riding.

We headed off to the CA-330 which would take us on the first leg of our morning run up the mountain, to Neo's Burgers in Running Springs about 20 miles up. We left the gas station, stopped at the traffic signal. Once we took off, heading north on CA-330, RiderX passed me. I didn't give it much thought as the speed limit was 55 MPH; we were all within the speed limit +/- 5 MPH. I'm happy riding at my slower pace, so I figured I'd stay put. About a mile further, RiderX was now at position #4, but still, as what it appeared to me, to be a reasonable speed. There was a wide, left sweeping turn. Posted speed limit was not yet reduced, and that's when I saw the bad event unfold.

RiderX started to enter the turn, but did so rather late. I did not see a reduction of speed entering the turn, and even if an attempt of lean-in was made, all was done late. At the split second prior to impact, the rider in #5 veered to the left, narrowly missing RiderX who attempted a last minute act of braking. BAM! An explosion of red plastic, and RiderX into the guardrail. The momentum carried him along the guardrail until he tumbled into the northbound lane. The VFR carried along without its rider along the guardrail until it came to rest and fell over.

This was such a surreal site. I couldn't believe what unfolded before me. There was no shoulder on the road, but a thin enough margin for me to stop alongside, get my bike on the sidestand, and run back to check RiderX to call for help. I threw off my backpack, and ran hoping that RiderX would be alert. It didn't dawn on me that there could be traffic rolling around the turn and both of us in the lane exposed- I didn't care at the time. RiderX was breathing, but unconscious. He had some unconscious reflex to attempt to curl on his side, but I told him to stay still and tried to keep him from moving. I phoned 911 and at that time a U.S. Forest Service employee in his personal vehicle rolled up. He positioned his vehicle to provide cover from oncoming traffic. He assisted to stabilize RiderX as I provided 911 dispatch location and type of incident. Riders 1-3 in our group did not catch what went down in their rear view, and the two other riders were making their way down and/or controlling traffic on the other end.

CHP made their way on scene, and just as they were rolling up, RiderX started to come to. I don't want to get into the specifics of the injuries, but to the casual passerby, the remnants of the accident made it look grim. In the time making the 911 call and seeing the minutes elapse while RiderX was unconscious, it was nerve-wracking to say the least. I provided the CHP with information as a witness. Throughout the while, traffic was blocked, measurements were taken at the scene, a flatbed tow truck rolled up, and Riders 1-3 made their way back. As the scene was being closed up, I asked the EMT where RiderX would be taken to. He named two area hospitals where he would likely be admitted. Our rider group met up after the incident, we shared thoughts on what happened, and disbanded afterwards to head home with RiderX in the back of our mind.

When I got home, with what information I gleaned from the 10 minutes of acquaintance with RiderX (first name only), I called the two regional medical centers where he might have been admitted. I managed to find out where he was staying which was about 50 miles from where I lived. They said he was stable, and as a first responder, they would see if they would allow me to visit with his consent. I drove down to the hospital, and he was getting set up in the trauma recovery center. He was in pain, but nonetheless, expressed gratitude for stopping by and for being with a group of riders who shared concern. I am uncertain of what type of support unit he has to turn to (nobody else was there), but I left my contact information just in case along with a Smithsonian and Sports Illustrated magazine so he can read. I told him that his gear saved him, and that he is fortunate to be conscious and escape with recoverable injuries. As I was telling him this, I see his helmet on the counter- a reminder that this miraculous piece of engineering that we take for granted saved his life.

That's all I really feel like recollecting for the evening. It just makes me cringe to see the vulnerability of things- whether it be motorcycle riding, boating, on-the-job, etc.. Anything can happen.

I will say that I can't stress enough of ATGATT. While I only got to chat with this guy for only 10-15 minutes prior to heading out, here is a couple points of advice that stick out the most for me:

• Get to know your fellow riders, especially the new ones.
    • Emergency contact information. Don't leave home without it.
    • Not feeling good or 100%? It is probably best to pick another day for riding.

That's all for tonight...

11. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Press Enterprise Newspaper Article

Latest news was Dean is at Arrowhead Medical Center, stablized and being kept overnight for observation. The extent of his injuries are unknown. From one of the other riders who witnessed, he mentioned head trauma and extensive lacerations of his right arm. Dean was unconcious after initial impact and was unable to communicate prior to the EMS crew taking him. I hope for his speedy recovery...

12. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for sharing this info to us hidesertmlb. i can just imagine how traumatic this event can be to you as a first hand witness. thanks for being a good riding buddy for passing by the hospital after the accident.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  13. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

Thanks for doing what you did bud! Very nice of you to follow up on him. I hope that he recovers fully, and fast at that. You are so right....it is amazing what a piece of plastic/fiberglass and foam can do to save our hide. I always cringe as to what will happen when I see a rider with only a skull cap on......UGH...

This must have really shook Chuckman up, as I haven't seen him post since. He must have been right in the middle of this.

14. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

Thanks hidesertmlb for everything! It was all happening like I was watching a movie or a slow-mo playback on ESPN, so surreal! All I could think of was we are stopped on the road, in a turn, speed limit 55 MPH, and he's lying in the middle of it, someone is going to run him over. Luckily there wasn't much traffic coming down and people slowed down when they saw all the bikes and the downed one in the middle of the road. But coming up the hill after you were dialing 911, the only thing I could think of was to stop traffic coming up because they wouldn't be able to see us, so I ran down to the beginning of the turn and started stopping people. Luckily the first or second car I stopped was a forest ranger and offered to help. It felt like time was standing still and I felt so useless. Here is a fellow rider downed in the middle of the road and the only thing I can do is stop traffic? Well, I was very surprised at how quickly CHP and emergency personel showed up on the scene and thankfully so. Some of the people that got out to help were awesome too. It's nice to know that there are so many good people out there willing to help someone who needs it. My thoughts and prayers to him and his family for a quick and healthy recovery. Thanks again hidesertmlb! They say that people's true colors come out under stress, I'd be happy to ride with you anytime!

15. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Wow!!, how unfortunate for RiderX. I hope that he can make a full recovery. Does anyone has his cell phone # so I can call to wish him well? I used to work at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center; one of the best county hospital around the Inland Empire!! As a matter of fact, that was my very first job as a Registered Nurse was with Arrowhead in the Medical Intensive Care Unit which RiderX should have been transferred into. I know everybody there; he is in good hands.

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1

Wish him well, get well soon

17. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    chuck,

you did you part by doing what you could in that situation. let's all hope and pray for Rider X's speedy recovery.

18. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

Update

I got some info from someone who used to work at that hospital, RiderX is in the surgical intensive care ward and will probably be there for another week or so. He said he had "a momentary lapse of judgement" and rode right into the guardrail and then lost consciesness. He's an experienced rider who had just started riding again in October of '08 after 10-yrs off the bike. He was wearing proper protective gear, including an armoured leather jacket but the impact was severe. His right arm was torn open and had surgery done and is going in for back surgery tomorrow. The impact also cracked his skull and cut his face but apparently only needed stitches. Still in good spirits he said he looked like Frankenstein! He said it was OK to post so here is the # to his room. 909-580-2208

19. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    if any body has a truck within the inland empire, san bernardino area, RiderX needs your help to pick up his bike from the yard. he is still in the hospital and will be there for at least a few more for rehab. ANY OFFERS ARE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

20. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Chuckman kinda already covered this, but here goes nothing....

I spoke with Dean just a few minutes ago on the phone. He is in good spirits. As was mentioned, he said he looks like Frankenstein. He has a fractured skull, a fractured vertebra (surgery on that tomorrow), a nasty cut that fully open up his right arm (had surgery, and it is stitched back together), and some other cuts/abrasions. He said that he is going to take it easy, heal up, and see where the roads takes him. Not sure if when he might be up riding again. Was very appreciate of the few folks who called so far. Said he got a spongebath from a hot nurse, which was a bonus....hahaha. As you would expect, he is still in a mess of pain though.

Anywho.....later dayz and longer nightz...