Restarting my project VF500F from 2016

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Hellapet, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Went for a ride yesterday after bleeding the rear brake and installing new front turn signals. The bike feels nice, much lighter than it did but it is a little stiff. I think I'm going to soften the compression dampening since that and preload are the only things I can adjust. Still, it feels loads better since the old shock was basically just a spring, no dampening. I am planning to ditch the factory coolant expansion tank and replace it with https://www.ebay.com/itm/255295466630 this reservoir that I can mount anywhere on the bike, and then I'll attach the remote reservoir to the side of the plastic box that houses the fuel pump. Looking at a photo of Jamie's shock mounted, it looks like he puts the reservoir where the fuel pump would be on an 84-85 bike, and I guess the 86 bike has no fuel pump so it's no problem.
    [​IMG]

RogueRC24 likes this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good job.

Looking good and a decent stance, maybe the forks could come up in the clamps a bit judging by a couple visual clues. But of course it all depends on how you like it and what it does for you.

Enjoy.

3. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi folks. I'm still alive. I did the thing again where I stop riding the bikes for a couple years while another project is in the way. This time it was building a 400sf garage which is great cause now I have a place to put the bikes at my own house. I've been scooting around on the Rebel 250 for a week and loving it, can't wait to get back to the VF.

Diving Pete and Bazza like this.
  4. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome back!