Replaced my regulator/rectifier

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by paul.miner, Apr 8, 2010.

1. paul.miner

paul.miner New Member

Well, last weekend my R/R on my '95 VFR750 died so I bought a beefier replacement. Fortunately for me it died in a way that caused it to not charge at all instead of just putting out unregulated high voltage, so the battery is okay, aside from completely draining it trying to get home (I ended up unplugging my headlights to get enough juice to run the ignition system).

The original was an SH638-12, and from this page, I decided to go with an SH678C-13 (fireblade/hurricane).

When I removed the old R/R, I noticed that it was mounted using a bolt on one side, and a stud on the other. This turned out to be a problem because the replacement R/R was thicker, and while getting a longer bolt is easy, replacing the stud is a pain.

So I ended up removing the rear subframe so I could get access to the back of the stud, cutting/grinding the old stud off, and welding on a longer one. Bit of a pain, but it's done now. The replacement R/R has wires coming out of it, so I ran them to where the alternator wires connect up under the right front fairing, cut off the connector, and soldered on the connector from the old wiring harness. The positive and ground wires I ran direct to the battery (with an added in-line 30A fuse for the positive side since I had bypassed the main fuse).

Fired up and put out a steady 14.8V with a little throttle. Should be good to go!

EDIT: I'll post up a picture showing the size difference between the two regulators later.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. paul.miner

paul.miner New Member

New and old regulator/rectifiers:

[​IMG]

Mounted on rear subframe:

[​IMG]

3. daveyto

daveyto New Member

I have heard of some people putting computer cooling fans on them or relocating to the headstock area for better cooling...might be worth a try.

thanks for posting

4. paul.miner

paul.miner New Member

I've thought about adding a cooling fan; I've got a collection of power supply fans that should mount up nicely. At some point I think I'm going to add some driving lights, so I'll probably look into it then.