Remove 86 VFR PETCOCK

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by snow_photo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. snow_photo

snow_photo New Member

I am thinking of running my 86 VFR 700 without a petcock. Has anybody sealed up their petcock and does anybody know if gas will flow normally (I'll still be using my fuel pump & not going gravity).
    What kind epoxy or metal weld/bond cani use that can stand up to gasoline?
    (of course the 86 petcock is recessed into the side of the tank...)
    Thanks...

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    You might be able to solder some copper tubing to fit into the ends of the internal tubing and a small copper plate or plug to cover either the reserve or normal fuel outlet depending upon which one you decide to use. Any decent old-timer radiator shop does this sort of work all day long.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Whatever you do isn't going to be easy, do you know why it is leaking? Bypassing the tap means you will have no reserve. You can overcome the shutoff problem by fitting an electric solonoid. I don't know of any epoxy the will handle long term contact with gasoline. Welding is the best method but a lot of places don't like welding gas tanks. You could also weld in 2 new outlets to the underside of the tank one higher than the other so this would give you a reseve function but it would then need another solonoid to control it but this all gets very messy and expensive if you can't do it yourself. Another tank may be the better option