Recommended shops in CO and some advice

Discussion in 'USA - Mountain' started by hondaguy80112, Oct 26, 2013.

1. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Typical British car. Probably shouldn't have ground the crank but replaced it if was scored that badly. Bet he didn't check bearing clearances with Plastigauge during assembly.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Those semi-vintage Brit cars were sort of neat in that they had assemblies to do a job. These assemblies could be taken apart the culprit replaced for not much money and re-installed.

Just got a quote on my rig for basically a solenoid in my door for $400.00 Wrecking yard here I come. Then I get with the bodyshop foreman at the local Ford dealer who is Mr. Straight Arrow how tells me to pop off the door panel and hose the solenoid down with WD40. Fixed!!

Then ya got the car stealerships.. had a Nissan Altima. Quit on me. Dearler: " Oh you just need a new distributor." $540.00 . Second opinion from a real wrench: "Oh you need the Oring set for the distributor for about 12 pesos.

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    You are absolutely right about the crank. Remember, this was in the days before the Internet and expert advice was just a keystroke away. The experienced British car guys knew to replace the crank since it was marginal at best. Also, parts suppliers were having the same trouble with quality and consistency as were the car manufactures. There is a really good possibility that he just had machine work done to a bad crank. In any case he had fun while it lasted!