Rear shock for 1st Gens (RC15's)....and shout out to Capt. 80's.......

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Bazza, May 21, 2024.

1. Bazza

Bazza Member

United States
    Map
    Some here may know I have picked up some 1st Gen bikes and currently have (2) 83's and (1) '84.

One of the '83's is a Euro.

About a month ago I put out a classified asking if anyone had any of the caps that screw on top of the front forks, to which Capt replied and said he probably did and would send them to me, which he did. But along with those caps was a rear shock for one of my 1st Gens. This was totally unexpected (imagine my surprise when this big heavy box arrived which was supposed to be two little plastic caps!)

I've done some work on the last two I bought but haven't gotten around to assessing the rear shocks so for the Capt to do something like this is beyond considerate and VERY generous!

Most of us here know what a good guy he is. Heck, the amount of help he has provided to me is one of the main reasons I have been able to do what I've done on these bikes.

Any who - this is the shock he sent. I believe it's the OEM shock the factory used....but Capt had some modifications done to make it even better, including an adjustment mechanism.

I'll let him go into more detail if he wants.

I will be brushing up on suspension servicing on these bikes - something I have not performed nor attempted to, but need to do.

Thanks, Capt! :thumbs:

IMG_5862.JPG IMG_5865.JPG IMG_5868.JPG IMG_5869.JPG

RogueRC24 likes this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    OK... so I made two of these shocks out of the two nicest, low mile OEM shocks I had. At the time I was building a guest / rain RC15, but wanted to give it some rear ride height on a budget. I cut the shaft and clevis off, sourced some hardware, modified and finalized the details and had the welders at the aerospace shop I worked for at the time weld them up. The welds are SOLID. It was a bit challenging keeping everything square while throwing some heat at the pieces, but they came out good, with a little final "adjustment" possibly needed when installing / test fitting.

I installed one of them on the bike I built and it was pretty cool. Livened it right up.

Well, I figured Mr. RC15 Bazzabonanza could use a little budget bling too, and I wasn't likely to use the extra one. As pictured it is as short as possible for shipping, but it has quite a range. We are all aware of the shortcomings of the OEM shocks and they are known to lock up and go bad. But why not give my bud a second chance on one of his Hot-Rod RC15s without having to throw down cash on an aftermarket shock. It makes a difference and the new stance just looks plain cool, as I think they look (are) a little squatty in the rear.

3. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Super cool!

Bazza likes this.
  4. Bazza

Bazza Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for elaborating on the shock, Capt - and I'm humbled by your kindness.

I really DO love these 1st Gen bikes though....iconic and a blast to ride! I look forward to using this special rear shock! ;)

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    What a kind fellow you are Mike!

Bazza likes this.