Re-Powder Coating Rims

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RllwJoe, Feb 4, 2022.

1. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    What was left of the PC in the tight corners and crevices that the flap sander could not reach were removed by etching the surface with some 80 grit sand paper and whatever small item that I could wrap the sand paper around to assist in the process. Then apply a thick coating of industrial stripper and place the wheel in a garbage bag overnight or at least 5-6 hours. After which, if all goes well, it looks like this......

20220302_133747.jpg

As you can see the PC has loosened from the surface and curled up. In some cases I needed to scrape off as much as possible and reapply more stripper. But in time they were ready for a light sand-blast to give the surface some texture so that the new powder coat had a solid footing.

Got this stripper from the local auto parts/ automotive paint retailer. One quart for $30 USD. Be sure to use it in a WELL ventilated area!

20220207_103845.jpg

Ready for another trip to my other friends blast cabinet.

Attached Files:

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Sand blasting time.

20220303_192022.jpg

At this time I also ordered a set of wheel bearings and seals for the front wheel. The bearings that I pulled out of it were made in China :toiletclaw:.