Rain riding.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    LOLZ!!

Heated gear makes a difference. No different than going snowmobiliing. )

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
  4. Badbilly

United States
  5. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
  6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Check out Motoquest jacket and pants from Olympia. Cold, hot, rain, it takes on all conditions.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That's strictly because I'm the only one with a pair. ;)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

8. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Not quite resurrection of an ancient thread, but old enough.

I prepared a carefully chosen set of gear to protect me when riding in the rain forecast for Yosemite this past November. Turned into a snow forecast, but Yosemite Valley/Curry Village are only at 4000 feet, so I could plan an escape down highway 140 to avoid snow or climb to 6000 back over Wawona if the snow didn't materialize. Turned out to be some of the best riding ever - Yosemite off-season, no traffic and dry roads...until I got to Fresno and the heavens opened up.

So everything worked great, but my glove didn't have a wiper blade and the only problem I had was getting water to sheet off my faceshield - no visibility.

Here's my question: is RainX functional when used on the outside of a plastic faceshield? Cycle Gear counter guys said no, don't use it because RainX is designed for glass and causes damage to plastic.

And yeah, that bike wash after a serious bathtub-type ride is a bitch. Just time it with an oil change and you'll have a lot of her clothes off anyway, then go to town getting intimate with your ride.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I am surprised that someone from Cyclegear would say that. True, it is designed for glass but works almost as well on the plastic visor without damaging the plastic. I have been using rains on my visors sin e 2006 with over 100000 km in the rain. Present helmet is about 2010 vintage. No ill effects encountered.

10. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Randy - I'll set my unbased fear aside and Rainx my visor with confidence. Kinda thought so, but didn't want to be the first penguin in the water.

11. Badbilly

United States
    RainX is a line of products. This is a list and the MSDS's that go with them.

http://www.rainx.com.au/msds/

Just a quick look at the download on the anti-fog and glass cleaner shows a fraction of acetone which could be a little hard on most plastics.

The mix of acetone and water is sometimes used on a rag to remove overspray from car windows, chrome and stainless steel trim. Usually the mix is lacquer thinner and water. Both are miscible.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Pix or it didn't happen!

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Whoa ... brought this one back from the dead! lol

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Been using Rain-X on shields since it first came out. No ill effects and it works great.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    AS BB has brought some tech stuff to light, just t be clear (no pun intended) I was only using the stuff you apply to your car's windshield to cause the rain to run off quickly. I have used it for years on the car including when I was on patrol. I found it to be far superior to wipers for visibility, especially in a high speed situation.

I don't know what the ingredients are in that stuff but regardless if there is acetone or not, the amount I used, which was a fair amount each time, had no visible effect on the clarity of the visor. I re-applied it very often to try to get optimum use. About every two months or so in the winter months. Less so in the summer when we get very little rain. I found that every two or three years I was replacing the visor due to scratches and road grit causing pitting. Maybe after using it on the same visor for many years, there may have been a visible detriment of Rainx on the visor, but I did not experience that.

I have no real experience with the anti fog stuff. I have tried it and other products for anti fog and found them to be for the most part, ineffective. I use a pinloc shield for that which I love. Before the pinloc, I used dish soap which worked extremely well once you got used to the appearance of a bit of a smudged film on the visor. Problem is, if you got any water in there, the soap film rinsed off and I found I was re-applying that almost every second commuting day.

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden in 1" standing water for miles in too many frog stranglers. I went up to 65 with seemingly no loss of traction. When I looked down and saw how completely the front tire was clearing a path for the rear tire, my confidence was solid. i had the old Avon Storms mounted and they are superb in rain and dry pavement. All that said, I HATE riding in rain. ; )

17. Badbilly

United States
    B&W pix are OK too...

18. Badbilly

United States
    To really be sciency, glass is a plastic. So is this dude:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...ol_2_17.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100622192607

The MSDS data on the RainX products is a requirement. Each product in the line has an MSDS sheet. To say that one of the products in the line is good or bad without specifically naming the product or what it has been used on is fucked.

One could be led to believed that sloshing acetone or a mix of acetone and water on some unknown plastic is without some effect is fucked.

Randy's argument is fucked.

If the plastic plastic plastic is fucked, RainX even has a product for that. RainX even has a disclaimer for that after three harleydoods died after huffing RainX plastic restorer. Their last words were, "Dude, this is fucked."