Rain riding.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I don't mind the rain. God knows I have ridden a lot in it. One of my rides to R3, I rode from Chilliwack, all the way to Mount Shasta Ca in the rain with the exception of a hot cocoa stop at RVFR's place in Olympia. I think that was 2009. Even though I spent the night in Vancouver Washington, it was raining when I arrived late evening, rained through the night, and raining first tbink in the morni g when I continued. Siskiew Pass, with all that volcanic dust on the I5 was a bitch bit Toecutter was nice enough to deal with that when I arrived in Atascader. Man. That sunshine in Mount Shasta was simply glorious.

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I rather enjoy riding in the rain. Of course the correct gear is crucial.
    Riding in the rain forces you to be smoother and heightens your awareness. It also puts confidence in yourself and your bike and tires.

I'll second any opinion regarding the Bridgestone T30 Evo tires being good in the rain. It's like it's not even there.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its rainy season here, so that being sed, I do rain. I look at the weather channel and local news every time before heading oot :canada: Last time I was oot in the wet, it was heavy rain, nuff to soak my boots at the ankles, stich suit worked well enough were I did'nt have to change my underware once home (tmi) I know, just saying. Best part is when you catch a break at the end of the ride and your bike gets a good blow drying. I barely had to wipe it down, no mug, no dirt, I always wipe fork legs down regardless to get bugs and chit off them. Cheers

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    When it comes to riding in the rain gore-tex is your friend, have quality gore-tex gloves, boots and jacket, 6 hours constant rain no seepage no worries.

5. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I have no problem riding in the rain, I have actually laughed to myself when stuck in traffic and people give me the "I feel bad for you sitting there in the rain" look and I am actually smiling behind the helmet.
    Really looking forward to installing my new T30 Evos this weekend, only hearing good things about em.

I should also mention that a turning point in enjoying riding in the rain was finding out how the keep my hands dry in waterproof gauntlet style gloves. I forget now who it was that set me straight on how it's done but I think it was 34468 Randy that said to tuck the gloves into my sleeves! Doesn't sound like it would work but made all the difference in the world. It used to be that after about 15 to 20 minutes my hands would start getting wet and wet hands do not make for a fun ride. So thanks again Randy (if it was you) for that valuable piece of info.

6. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    During riding season I ride rain or shine. I don't mind riding in rain either, it's the gearing up for it that's annoying, since all my rain gear is "over gear". I'd love to find a set of warm weather waterproof gear that I can afford, but until then it's Aerostitch glove covers, and First Gear rain jacket and pants.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Nobody here that rides only in the rain at 150mph?

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Not 150 mph but up into tripple didgits. That was a really stupid thing to do. Wet tar snakes at those speeds cause teeth to grow in your rectal Muscles.

John. There has to be different qualities of Gortex because I know you are really pleased with it, yet I have had a few Gortex garmets that were useless as tits on a bull. That's including the shit dealt out to me as uniform by the federal government. An hour or so standing in the rain at roadside at an accident and I was soaked to the bone.

I do recall that exchange about the gauntlets Zombie. I know it sounds backwards but it works perfect doesn't it.

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I may or may not have been doing 115mph punching through the back end of a storm in Minot, ND not long ago.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Word has it, then lost it.

11. icycle2much

icycle2much New Member

United States
    Map
    Me too and one other...if it's below 40 and raining then I draw the line.

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That doesn't stop me. LOL

I start commuting in 30*F

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I used to be that young,dumb and full of...................................................:triumphant:

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    So. You aren't young anymore is what you are saying?

The OP was about a tire in the rain. I have to say, all I have ridden with in the rain was the stock pieces of crap the bike came with. Being new to riding at the time, I have no idea if they were performing well in the rain. They cupped and gripped like an ink eraser as far as I was concerned. So dd the next higher quality Dumblobs I replace them with. I replaced those with PR2 and when the PR3 but returned to the PR2 When the PR4 came out, switched to them. As far as I am concerned the PR2 are as good as the 4 in rain.

NOW HEAR THIS! None of them work worth a shit when you end up in a snow storm and riding through an inch of snow.

I was always a little hesitant when I first went out with the very cold tires when it was sub freezing. Both the tire and the asphalt looses traction when that cold.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010288.jpg
    Very picky on tires-PR4 ride like no rain at all so far-but I still get wet-these are so far the best tires in rotten weather.

16. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Its been a 100 degrees (or close to it ) her for the last week. Came out to go home yesterday from work and it was raining pretty good, felt great with mesh gear on. Getting on my bike one of the office rats rolls down their window and says "Bet you wish you had a car!" and I replied "No, I wish wasn't raining. "

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Good answer!

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I got caught in the rain today too, suked but didn't turn around. It stopped after my short ride-pr4 the best rain tires made.

19. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah, I'm not sure how big a difference my PR4's actually make in the rain. They're fine, don't get me wrong, but after a while with them they feel about as good as the Battleaxes that came before them, and the Pilot Powers I had on my CBR600 before them. I can still light up the rear end in second gear with a spirited roll on of throttle... and I rarely did that on my CBR with the Pilot Powers. I feel like the rounded shape of motorcycle tires does away with the need for serious tread unless there's a pile of standing water on the road.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    It was a dark and stormy night when neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.