Quiet Ride Motorcycle Helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 34468 Randy, Sep 12, 2019.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Thanks zombie. The Shoei came with a chin curtain already and I am sure it makes a difference, but not enough. I was thinking along the lines of a curtain that went all the way around your neck. Front back and sides, and possibly tucked in under your jacket. Maybe they are also available to purchase already made too.

Also I am glad to see I am not the only one who absolutely detests wearing glasses. About the only time I even wear sun glasses is when riding a bicycle, to protect from shit from the road, or if it is near noon and slightly overcast with wet roads. The sun's reflections off the road, especially driving south bound is just a bitch. I just can't drive. North bound I suspect if I were in the southern hemisphere.

Not everyone can wear bifocal contacts. I had to wear toric contacts which could not be made bifocal. What my provider tried was to put one contact in one eye for up close and one for distance. He said it may or may not work or it may just take time to get used to it. My eyes adapted to in instantly. I was amazed at that. BUT! When I did the eye test for my commercial driver's licence, I failed when you had to cover an eye and watch for those signs they flashed up. Some of them, all I saw was the yellow background. So I had to have the corrective lenses restriction remain on my licence and I was supposed to wear glasses. FUGM I say. But now I had that restriction removed since I had prescription insert lenses put in my eyes. I am in heaven now.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    My Wife had the Lasik on her one eye for reading and the other was left alone for distance. Same concept you had with the contacts. It works for her most of the time. They had suggested that if the bifocals don't work for me then to try it that way. I haven't heard about prescription inserts though. Sounds painful but I guess if it works it might be a good way to go.

3. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    The inserts were done as a result of cataract surgery. I elected to pay extra for the prescription lenses. I had (have really. he is still alive) one friend who went private and paid to have this done to his eyes. I think he paid about 7K for this. Of course my surgery was covered by medical services plan we enjoy here in Canada but I had to pay the extra for the upgraded lenses. I have astigmatism in both eyes which is fairly common. What that is, is where the cornea of your eye is oblong shaped rather than the normal spherical shape. So contact lenses have to be toric, or are made to fit the oblong or football shaped eye. Right now, they don't or can't make bifocal toric contact lenses. It is really quite amazing how bifocal contacts work and what the eye does to make them work.

The procedure is not really painful really. Today, cataract surgery is one of the more successful surgeries done, Day surgery, a patch for 24 hours, and after a couple days, your sight returns to normal but corrected. If they are both done, it is usually about a year apart.

A funny note here. Just before I had the first eye don, I bought a new golf shits which I thought was a fairly bright red. After the cataracts were removed, I discovered the shirt was a ravishing hot pink. Not that there is anything wrong with a guy wearing hot ravishing pink you understand.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I can't believe they didn't correct your astigmatism when they did your cataract surgery. I had to have
    cataract surgery in one eye a couple years ago and the bad astigmatism in that eye was corrected. I now
    can read fine without glasses which I've worn since I was around 8 years old. I got severe headaches when
    trying to read without glasses before the surgery. Now, no issues. Plus no astigmatism correction necessary
    in my glasses.

FWIW wearing glasses while riding is no big deal for me since I've been doing it forever. But I did love it
    when the first modular helmets came out back in the 80's.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    There probably was not the need to change that. Maybe they did but I don't think so. I suspect to correct that would require laser and there was none of that. I was watching tho whole thing through the eye they were working on. They just slit the cornea open from a side with some kind of cutting device, then scraped the cataracts out from behind the cornea, slipped in the new lens and whala, allowed the cornea to flap back and heal.

The astigmatism did not bother me other than when it came time to try to get bifocal contacts. I suspect I was born with it. My wearing of glasses was not necessary until I was in my late 30's early 40's.

6. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom New Member

Denmark
    What about Domio?
    Domiosports.com

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Just FWIW, MotorcycleGear.com has the Schuberth C3 Pro on sale for $399. That's a really good price.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    My bike was finally repaired at the shop I took it to in Vancouver BC, a one hour freeway ride from where I live here in Chilliwack, BC. I thought I ws going to have to go pick it up with the truck and truck it home but fortunately a neighbour was heading to the city that day and gave me a ride right to the shop to lick up the bike.

I ordered a set of these about a month back at the recommendation of Reg71. Thought for the price, they were worth trying out and tossing if they did not work sufficient for what I am looking for.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pack-Hearos-P...gs&qid=1572025127&s=automotive&sr=1-6-catcorr

The stem on these was far to long for my smallish ears. I tried them on without the helmet and they were fine but I didn't bother putting on the helmet with them in as I knew they would not work. But out came the Leatherman and I cut the stem fairly shirt, just long enough that I could still get them out. The ride home on the freeway was good. I could hear the music quite well and yet sufficient road and wind noise was reduced. Now I just need to get someone to ride with me out on the highways somewhere who has communications so I can hear how that works. It should work fine. At least I hope so. My problem looks like it may be resolved without the need of acquiring the new helmet I posted up in my original post.

But again, if there is anyone who has had experience with Quietride Helmets. like these http://www.quietridehelmets.com/ please post up your thoughts.