Quick shifter: Difficult Downshifts?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Ohlias, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    Hi folks!

Just installed the optional OEM quickshifter this weekend, and although I’ve not had a lot of time to ride, I did notice that downshifts seem a little more difficult. Mainly because I can’t seem to “find” the peg. The new shifter arm has a sort of “block plate” the prevents your foot from creeping inward and hitting the connecting arm to the inside right of shifter. Because of this, there seems to be less pace in order to position your foot for the downshift.

Anyone else experience this? Do I just need to get used to it? Is there an adjustment or modification I can make?

2. SlideRule

SlideRule New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, your foot position does change slightly after installing the quick shifter due to that little fin or block plate - It feels like your toes are pushed a couple inches outward. It felt a little awkward after switching; it took a little bit of time to adjust and now I don't notice it anymore. I do like how you can micro-adjust the height of the shifter with the turn-buckle on the quick shifter linkage, so maybe you can play with that to get it into the optimum position?

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    4A1C7840-3624-49E4-B2A5-D0E876EE0B29.jpeg Think a bit more on road time is required or altering the height of the pedal.

Can’t see how the “fin” affects down shifting.

4. Mark McGuinness

Mark McGuinness New Member

The Honda VFR OEM quickshifter is for up-shifts only, as advised to me by the Honda dealer.

5. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    Hi there, yes fully aware that it is upshifts only that are clutchless, but on regular downshifts using the clutch, I noticed an initial difference. It's all good now as others said, I have grown used to it.

The issue does not have anything to do with the length or placement of the peddle, but rather the fact there is a "blade" on the inside right of the lever that prevents you foot from travelling inward towards the quickshifter arm that is now connected to something else (this arm is not present in the regular lever). This means your foot must stay positioned much straighter than before and that you shift with the inside right of your foot. This is probably the correct way to shift, and I suppose over the years I had developed a bad habit of shifting with a full foot at times...