Puncture Contest

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Booyah, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Booyah

Booyah New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I've recently had a puncture in my rear tire. My Dunlop Qualifier held air just long enough to get me home. I've seen some strange things stuck in tires... this is up there. One more sad note... when I bought the bike (Mar 11/10) these tires had barely been scrubbed in... Waaaahhh!! I've ordered a new rear tire and it should be on in a few days. Does anyone have experience with pluging a moto tire? I'm considering repairing this tire and keeping it around just incase something like this happens again...

either that or keeping it around as a burnout tire :vtr2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a real nice size gash it's made.... I don't know if it's pluggable? I think you're going to get mixed feedback on whether or not plugging a motorcycle tire is acceptable or not, even if that were a salvageable hole...

But I like the idea of the puncture contest! I should have taken a picture of the "nail" I had in my car tire... was sticking out just like that, but on the inside it was 7" long and cut up all the rubber/cords from the inside.

3. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

Dude, is that a hitch pin, GOOD ONE!! I know people who run on "plugged" tires all the time, get em as takeoffs and fix em. They are using the type that have a patch built in though (requires dismounting to repair) IMO if that is what I think it is, there are TWO holes in close proximity to eachother so I'd call that one a junker unfortunately cause it's definately got some good life left in it. If you wanna put some regular ol plugs in it and do a couple massive smoky burnouts I'd say you'll probably be ok, but I wouldn't trust that one when carvin up some twisties personally.

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    About a month ago I picked up a #2 screwdriver bit in my rear tire. Alas, no pictures.

Pilot Road 2CT with about 1000 miles. Damn shame as well since there was plenty of life left on it. I used the Stop and Go plug kit, and to be honest, the thing worked like a charm. Probably put another 500 miles on it after plugging it. And although it never lost any air pressure whatsoever, its one of those things where I just felt better changing the tire, so a new skin was put on this weekend. (I forgot how slick those new tires are!!)

I kept the plugged tire "just because". Not really sure what I'm going to do with it, but maybe if I fell upon hard times and couldn't afford a new tire, I'd at least have something.

On a unrelated note to bike tires, there was a guy in my office who managed to pick up one of those HUGE pins that landscapers use to secure the ramp leading to the trailer. I'm talking like 10 inches long and about as thick as a Sharpie marker. Went in through the tread and out through the sidewall. The best part was the guy was literally driving home from just having the tire replaced at the shop. Couldn't have been 10 miles away haha.