Preview - 2007 Interceptor

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by michael, Sep 7, 2006.

1. sdnewt

sdnewt New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe I'm crazy but I love my 2004, linked brake equiped VTEC Interceptor. I just had a kid run over me on my old 2000 Nighthawk 750 breaking my right ankle. The linked brakes make it much easier and less painful. I love the VTEC! It's like a supercharger to me. As you can tell, I love this bike.............but I'd trade it in a minute for an Intercepter 1000 VTEC with ABS! Make mine RED!

2. varminter

varminter New Member

I like the colour scheme.Mind you I have a 1986 VFR 700 with similar colours.
    30 more HP over my bike would have been nice.I am looking forward to the launch in NZ.I brought a 1986 new and am seriously thinking a new 2007 to sit next to it in the garage would look great.Cheers.

3. quantum

quantum New Member

VFR heavy like a tank

I wonder what makes VFR so heavy. VFR is way heavier than any other 1000cc sports bikes.

4. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Irun with a guy who has a tricked out CBR1000. It is wicked fast and light. I can hang with him in all but hole shots. my 06 VFR (pearl white) does it all except I can't get it above 160 MPH. I'm a chicken, But how fast do you need to go and how quick do you want to get there? I love my VFR. the vtec the linked brakes and the fat. my oyher bike is a 86 VFR 700 with white rims. white rims were revenge on allied bike owners for dropping the A bomb. they are impossible to keep clean

5. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Downs: Black wheels, vtec, no gear-driven cams, no "Interceptor", high pipes,
    low bars. Where are the hard bags? HondaUSA marketing is disconnected.
    Ups: It's still a sweet ride, but not as sweet as a '98 or '99.
    Maybe I'll paint my slut-red '98 in the '90 RC30 colors, white wheels and all!
    I'm a clean freak so I don't mind white. Black is too neutral.

6. Markp

Markp New Member

I'll just have to ride the real thing for now.

But I think I may have to add a 98 to the stable.

Attached Files:

7. Minax

Minax New Member

DITTO!! (gots the same thing in me garage too...:cool: :cool: :peep:

8. dylanderkrunk

dylanderkrunk New Member

i love the tri color! insurence list it as 782 cc don't know if that matters i hate insurene regardless!

9. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    RWB on the 07 seems too retro.It does'nt match the new innovations.I ride red.Also the terrorist/patriot issues bumb me out,let's rest RWB for a bit

10. Hurryin' Hoosier

Hurryin' Hoosier New Member

Just pull off a fairing and look around...

The VFR powerplant dimensions are relatively huge compared to any I-4. All related chassis components are also beefier than what a liter sport bike carries.

It would be nice to be about 35 pounds lighter, but the durability has to still be there. I kind of go both ways on that one. Make the g7 will get the weight off (?)

11. Hurryin' Hoosier

The colors are retro like white stripes and blue paint are to American sports car racing. They identify the current breed to their past bloodline.

I don't think the RWB is meant to be a 'flag in your face' kind of thing.

Honda only turned the world on its ear competing in those colors with American riders.

True the new innovations can look out of place, but I like seeing the colors on the bike that earned them instead of trying to morph them onto a CBR.

12. quantum

quantum New Member

When I had a 86' VFR 400R in Japan a long time ago, it was one of the fastest & lightest sports bike at that time.

I've been thinking to start riding again, but I personally hate inline-4 so my choice would be v4 again(that makes my choice be VFR again).

When I looked at the Interceptor(VFR) on Honda website recently, I was kind of disappointed with VFR's spec. It was heavier and underpowered, and somewhat out of date.

Now I have no motorcycle to buy.

13. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    Agreed wholeheartedly. The problem has never been with the motor - it's been with the way Honda has porked the bike out unnecessarily and attempted to address the power deficiencies through gimmicks.
    Love VTEC or hate it - there's is no replacement for "displacement".
    Today's standards mandate 120+ hp in a package that weighs less than 450 lbs. It's not a far-fetched concept. Scrap the collectors and gimmicks, hog out the motor, and give me a bike I want to buy - not a stop gap measure.
    I'm tired of having to bitch about this year after year. Honda - are you listening?

14. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    I think we are being a little too rough on Honda. The dilemma they have with the Interceptor is the "mission", i.e., what the design criteria is.
    Is it a "Sport-Touring" bike or is it a "Touring-Sport" bike? I believe it is more
    of a Touring-Sport bike and would like it to stay designed in that direction.
    If I were King of Design I would go back to the '98/'99 specs. and drop in a 1,000 cc motor, add hard bags, slightly higher handlebars, electric windshield (like my Katana 1100) and give us a better rear shock. Almost forgot...put a small fan on the regulator :smile:
    Definitely no VTEC or chain-driven cams!
    If some of you are disappointed by the horsepower/weight ratio you might have to be honest with yourself and determine the "mission" you want, i.e.,
    do you want to play Rickey-Racer on the streets (very juvenile) or do you want a classy Touring-Sport bike that is unique like a Mercedes Benz CL600
    V12 coupe.
    Too many newbies don't look beyond the hp/weight ratio. The VFR's have great mid-range torque and that is much more useful in the real world than
    a higher horsepower figure that is in the 11,000-15,000 rpm range. The key
    to making a great street bike is a fat MID-RANGE not some narrow super high RPM screamer, which is right at home on the track but not on the street.
    It's time to grow up in our expectations on bike designs. Nuff said...

15. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I don't necessarily disagree with you Bob - I still ride my '92 that I bought off the showroom floor. I'm edging on 43 right now, so I'm clearly not what you would call a Wild-Boyz wanna be.
    But my point is that you can accomplish both - and many other vendors are doing just that. The FJR would be a perfect example (except that it is heavy).
    I'm certainly not blaming Honda for making a bad product - far from it. I'm chastising Honda for not keeping up with the pace of the industry. They've done extremely well with the CBR lineup, and by all accounts continue to push the envelope there.
    I guess my point is that I've been waiting a long time for a new VFR that was really worth upgrading to; the 4th and 5th gens were just not that much better than my beloved '92 - especially with all the mods I'd made to it. And then along comes the much tauted 2002 6th gen, and by all accounts it's been a step back wards.
    I don't necessarily "need" a lighter, faster, more powerful Veefer. But goddammit - I WANT one. And there's absolutely no reason why Honda should not finally evolve this bike into something worthy of the "Interceptor" moniker. Just my 2 cents...

16. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

Honda is to busy playing it up to the 600 class squids/posers who ride around town and parking lots....Honda needs to get some money into the engine /design department and just give the 5th gen 5-15 hp more and it would sell better..Just drop the 6th gen in the trash can as Vtec and cam chains kept me from buying it...I dont want traction control as its just another gimmik like vtec.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  17. sebring

sebring New Member

The 481 lbs. dry sounds like too much weight to me. How does that compare to the 5th gen? Although, the 07 does get about 10 more HP. Still, though, it seems overweight to me.

18. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

It looks terrific! Any pics of the color scheme from the front? That's gotta be a must-see. BTW - luv the VTec. Especially on the highway. Ahhhh and here I thought you couldn't improve on perfection.....Honda does it again with a retro color scheme!

19. haunter

haunter New Member

looks great!

but its slower than my late 80's sport bike......that surprises me ALOT. Hadn't really looked at the power output of the new VFR's but I expected it to be a bit faster, hell it weights the same as my 88 FZR1000

20. Hurryin' Hoosier

The whole sport touring/touring sport word scramble is lost on me. Touring sport is best left to the bright yellow Goldwings, they're "sporty".

As for your mission mantra, the mission statement is sport-touring. Taken from the words 'sport', meaning athletic recreation, and touring, meaning recreational travel. Combined, the thought derived would seem to include something along "athletic recreational travel". For me that means a type of aggressive, eventful activity. Not that I pack extra pucks for a trip down the interstate, but I like to travel at a pace that allows me to enjoy the road itself, in addition to the views around.

The VFR is the minimalist sport tourer. Backback and a bag and go type stuff. I take my viffer because I want to enjoy the trip a little more, not just the destination. If I just wanted that, I'd go 'simple, I'd go easy, I'd go Greyhound'.

Ricky Racer doesn't leave town. Ricky doesn't do trips, or backroads, or sights. Ricky doesn't ride for your reasons or mine. Leave him out of this. (Primo pet peeve.)

CL600s probably ride nice, corner well and take care of everything their owners expect them to. But I bet some CL600 owners still want a little more for their money, because that's JUST THE WAY PEOPLE ARE - HUMAN.

I agree the VFR holds a valuable tool in its midrange. The HP/wt. ratio is a three sided thing. Most VFR people who voice here seem to want less weight as a priority over more power. The more power people want less weight too, but hardly anyone is looking for a 'Busa beater. The third side is the durability that almost no one complains about. It's a non topic when joined by proper maintenance. That's probably 40% of why I love my viffer, but never comes up in conversation because I'm too busy picking apart the things I'd like to see added/lost or redesigned.

Every spring I look at the st1300s or the old 1100s. They have that electric windshield and I bet it's nice sometimes. Every year I think about how I could do some this or that trip sometime. I get away when I remember that I am still looking for more from less, not the same from more. It'll happen one day, but until then, I'll ride hard and travel light.