Power Commander Question

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by motd, Dec 23, 2020.

1. jukka.urhonen

jukka.urhonen New Member

Finland
    Hi, I have allready done pc5 firmware update.

And I think it runs too lean midlle rpms with that erion map.

Lähetetty minun SM-A750FN laitteesta Tapatalkilla

2. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    My $.02. Just had my bike dyno tuned with PC. Only reason was to smooth out the Air/Fuel. Bike was really lean between about 2200 and about 3500. Did I really need to do this? Probably not. Cost a bunch for Dyno Tuning, which I think is the only way to do this properly. Did I get a big bump in power. Nope. Does it really matter to me? Not really. Was just trying to have the bike run its best.

There’s a saying most of us older guys get: ‘It all started when I took the hub caps off!’ And that’s the case for my ‘99. Over board comes to mind. Oh well . . .

dhinson66 likes this.
  3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I installed the PC on my '99 to help the off idle sudden transition, and it helped smooth things out considerably. Need it? Nope
    Want it? Yep Like it? Yep.

dhinson66 likes this.
  4. dhinson66

dhinson66 New Member

United States
    Map
    I tried that map on my PC 2 and 3 and it would hardly run on the PC2 but ran pretty good on the PC 3 USB. If you can find a PC 3 USB I'd buy it, buy the map that was developed for the new headers and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. jukka.urhonen

jukka.urhonen New Member

Finland
    I send pm to sfdownhill many days ago, I haven't get answer.
    I went back to basicmap, and it runs pretty well, and so i think pc5 is fine with new firmware now. I haven't visit track yet.
    Just want test better map now, that erion map look litlle strange to me midlle rpms in paper too.

6. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I have an AWESOME Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder for my cars. It has a bottle that just rests with the tip inside the MC. Open up the valve, and it only fills to the level of the bottle tip. So long as it stays submerged, no fluid drips anywhere, and as the MC reservoir level drops, it lets a matching amount of fluid refill the MC. You can fit about a quart in there, so you have lots of fluid to work with, and can see if it is running low, so you never run dry. I

For the VFR, I'm just going to design a spare brake MC cap with a tip that sits down into the MC, and a nipple that allows me to attach a hose. That will let me clamp a hose to the nipple sticking up from the cap, and hook up a bottle of fluid with a hose feed. That will create a constantly refilled supply, so I can use the vacuum bleeder to pull all the old fluid out. Easy, fast, and by hooking up a large bottle, I won't run the reservoir dry.

Jose

7. Cherryriver

Cherryriver New Member

United States
    The Power Commander thing is interesting to this old guy, too. That throttle snatch gets to me, and not just in traffic. I just spent the weekend in the coulees of the Driftless Area of southwest Wisconsin on my '00, arguably the best "technical" riding area in this whole section of the country.
    At every time I needed to open the throttle during curve transitions, I had to deflect a certain amount of attention from the road ahead to the right hand so as not to upset the carriage getting that surge.
    I have some doubts as to whether I'd readily spend the $350 or so for such a thing, at this point in my ownership: fairly new, three months and 3000 miles done.

96_Sokudo likes this.
  8. Derek A Sinclair

Derek A Sinclair New Member

United States
    Not to mention 13% gains in torque. Not a chance. Someone got sneaky with the dynojet correction button.

dhinson66 likes this.
  9. jukka.urhonen

jukka.urhonen New Member

Finland
    pc5 may not solve the problem in curves caused by jerking while opening the throtlle. It didn't solve that in my bike, it stil appears slow curves 2nd gear, and I have pc5 now dyno tuned.