Possible Western U.S.A. trip.

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Glenngt750, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Ya, saw the guy go. I dont think id buy one,either, but i thinjj it would be a fun,good looking bike. Sounded good for a vertical twin.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Have a fun day in lala land GT! I hope that get a chance to meet up with D (ootv) and some of the other LA crew. Just do watch your belongings if you head out to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Opportunists are everywhere, however, much more so there.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    No telling what the Thruxton owner had in that bike. It sure was not stock. All Triumph twins are vertical twins. John Bloor did a hell of a great job resurrecting the marque.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So I was able to break away today and meet up with GT and since he was eager to ride in LA, I took him by a couple of LA landmarks and roads.
    (Note some of these pics are from an earlier visit I made to this area as we tried to keep moving due to the warm temperatures)

We met up at The Gene Autry Museum in LA's Griffith Park, where we went by the living train museum, Travel Town. Some may remember this place from the Steve Martin movie 'The Jerk'. This is the place where he first meets Bernadette Peters and where the kid she was watching hijacks the train.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway we rode through the park and then up Los Feliz Blvd to Hillhurst to the Observatory, passing the Greek Theater on the way up (sorry no photo of the Greek).

[​IMG]

Although we got a decent view of the Hollywood Sign, the slight mix of smog and overcast skies prevented a good view of the cities of LA and Hollywood.

[​IMG]

After stopping at the observatory, we went back down the hill and then up Beachwood Canton and up past the original Hollywoodland Gates...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then up some very narrow and twisty roads to the current Hollywood sign (the one minus the 'land')

[​IMG]

An the way back towards my main route I had planned, Mulholland Dr. we went past famous Lake Hollywood. Which is actually a reservoir for LA water supply.

[​IMG]

Although you can walk all the way around the Lake, they do have gates that prevent you from driving around it...

[​IMG]

Once past the lake and onto Cahuenga Blvd for a few blocks (Pronounced 'Co-weng-a'), off we went to Mulholland Dr. Probably could have stopped by Universal Studios to say hi to Duccman, but alas we kept on riding, We rode this road all the way until it ends as a paved road in Encino. From this point up until Calabasas, Mulholland is known as Dirt Mulholland and is essentially just a fire road. From Topanga Canyon all the way to PCH it becomes a paved road again but called Mulholland Highway. Once we reached the dirt section we went down a very steep hill and came out on Hayvenhurst Ave. in Encino. Here is where we parted ways after a much needed break...BTW it was in the low 90's pretty much all along the ridge and into the SFV as well.

Here is GT standing next to his noble steed! He did really well on the twisty roads, but I think I did hear his pegs scrape on a couple of tight turns!

[​IMG]

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Wowie!!!

So awesome you were both able to meet up!! Nice narrative and photos of your day.

It's fun to watch you on your journey GT!!!!!
    Ride safe and smile!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yup, that VFR of GT's sure got obese ... ;)

Matches the colour of my favourite thong though ...

7. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm surprised nobody remembers those Kawasaki ads from the late 1980's! ? One was also from a "dairy" . What was that called?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

8. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I am very grateful to "OOTV" for making time to come out and meet me. Though i am rather introverted /shy, and have trouble saying how awesome it is for someone to come out and give me the gift of their time, fuel, bike, etc.! I have wanted to come to CA for many many years,but do to various issues couldn't. Now that I've made it, i am like elated. ...and to have someone come out and show me something that id probably never see otherwise is like a real gift to me! Thanks, OOTV.

9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

You are an amazing person, GT!!!
    I'm so happy for you that you are having an amazing experience!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It was a pleasure showing you some of my old stomping grounds. I haven't been on Mulholland Dr. in several years and it was great to see it well paved and pretty empty! As much as I would love to join you on ACH, alas I need to be on a job site tomorrow so I'll have to say ride safe and be sure to stop at Newcombs Ranch. If you make it down again, don't hesitate to PM or call me, if I'm available, I'll ride with you.

Cheers,
    d

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

How timely, looks like Motorcyclist magazine is doing a comparison with the Thruxton. Motorcyclist Magazine BMW RnineT vs. Triumph Thruxton R

12. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Great Day,eh!

Well,try two,for typing this post. Instead of ACH,went to Petersen's auto museum. Got in trouble for attempting to videotape Wayne Rainey's YamahaYZR500, from about 1988/1989,probably the year he lost to Eddie Lawson. Was a Marlboro liveried bike with a number two on it. Little did they know that i had already taped it AND touched the grip! I went on the "vault" tour,where you go in the basement,and see vehicles that are not on display. Also had Rick Johnson's Honda CR250. Looked like a "works" bike as there was not a VIN no. on the headstock. Back upstairs, there was a Britten on display that Andrew Stroud rode. One of the coolest cars was a Pontiac Aztec... that "Heisenberg" drove in Breaking Bad! Geez, not enough time!

13. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Also went to Hollywood Blvd.. Extra zoo like due to a "Jimmy Kimmel live" deal. Parking was tighter than a nuns ... ahhh tight! Parking lotus@@ said $12.00/15 minutes! ?

14. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Another Thruxton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocette_Thruxton

The Triumph Thruxton in the pic may have been stock. It's the latest version. Got to ride a previous version a few years back when the Triumph Roadshow visited Sportbike NorthWest. At the time a good friend Mark Pfenning was Triumphs USAs front guy. Mark Pfenning RIP.

This latest version has to be ripper. An Ace Café ride on steroids..

Me 1st Streetbike was a Triumph Thunderbird.

16. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    New. favorite. boat !

Went and saw the Queen Mary today. Very neat piece of history. Took some pics and videos. Then used my skinny Wing to go back out to thousand oaks. Had to lane split for at least ten miles. Most of the time people are awesome. But, others are pricks, as they seem to pull over to block me! Surprised there isn't more people on bikes. Oh well,will reluctantly start my northern journey. Has besn a blast. Will try takjng the coast up a ways up,depending on traffic. Cheers.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Nice, a little off bike sight seeing isn't a bad thing. So did you ever make it to ACH?

18. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    No, never made it to the ACH. Thought that I'd be at a twisty road before I'd see the museum or an old cruise ship. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Long Beach bought that skiff from me when I had to upgrade.

20. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Dam cleaning must've been a bitch!