Possible rough running and a couple misses!!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Griffo, May 1, 2011.

1. Griffo

Griffo New Member

So here it is i have had my 10, 800 for about a month it was bought new it currently has 2k on it. First thing i noticed about a week after getting it was that there was a strange intermittent knock between idle and about 2500rpm, especially when the throttle was given a small quick flick and just off idle when it was intermittent but i also noticed it was accompanied by a small fluctuation in rpm 100-150 rpm. This is more of a hollow knock than a valve knock and is especially noticeable when i am wearing ear plugs (strange i know) the best i can describe it as is a tap on the bottom of a hard plastic container (hollow sound). Within a week of first noticing this i took it into the dealer, who had a listen for a good 15- 20 mins and said he thinks it is normal (THINKS!!), This is when it also had its first miss as he was holding the throttle at about 3500-4000rpm there was a prominent drop in rpm and change in engine note for a fraction of a second, We looked at each other and he said V engines sometimes do that (??????) now this is my first bike with a v engine but this thing is a Honda not a Harley so im guessing that its not normal am i wrong? this was 2 and a bit weeks ago and up untill 2 days ago it was running fine apart from that intermittent knock. 2 DAYS AGO as i am riding along a straight stretch on a cool morning at about 60kph i wound the throttle on to over take a car and nothing there it actually started dying off i gave the throttle another twist and off she went like nothing had happened. When i got home i played around and had a bit of a listen at virtually any below 6k with a set throttle the rpm is fluctuating 100-200rpm. I spoke to a mate and he said maybe it is fouling up i thought unlikley (i have grown up riding 2 stroke dirt bikes i know a bit about fouling) but i took it for a hard ride and nothing changed. So is anyone else got anything like this and is my dealer is feeding me shit or am i just being a paranoid freak?????? Or and sorry about the bad grammer:redface:

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    First the VFRs V4 likes to be above 4K when riding around town especially in the higher gears but I don't think you should ever have a miss at constant throttle at 3.5 to 4K rpm in neutral although when I had my '03 Gen 6 it used to bug me with a flat spot after cruising for a long time at constant throttle then roll off to drop speed briefly eg coming into a tiny country towns 60KPH zone then accelerating back up to 100 would have an initial annoying flat spot then jerking away when the fueling caught up with your required acceleration ( something my current MK1 Gen 5 has never done ) you could ride around it once understood it was an emissions thing but it was still annoying and unless I invested in a PC3 with O2 sensors and Dyno tune not much I could do about it.

If you have an issue that's just off idle under standing acceleration it could be you need the the SVs balanced as for some reason pre delivery costs doesn't seem to cover it so shops generally don't do them unless you ask them to, but I have mine done as part of every major service and it does help make things crisper off the line.

As for the hollow plastic knock sound off idle it's possibly just your Flapper Valve ( or intake duct solenoid ? ) and no big deal see below thread to see if you think it's the same sound:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/31102-weird-muffled-pop-sound-off-throttle-6th-gen.html