Polaris is shuttering the doors on Victory ....

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Jeff_Barrett, Jan 9, 2017.

1. NormK

NormK New Member

We have had a very high profile ex footballer advertising them since they came out, my bet his was a donated machine

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    We have football and basketball players advertising everything else. The best of the bunch are the PI lawyers who have pix of themselves on bikes.

No reflection on our real rider lawyer..

3. zxmikez

zxmikez New Member

United States
    Ok, I almost never post.. but someone has to mourn the Vic's. I have a really clean, stage I 2007 hammer that is simply.... snotty. Pipes are epic.

Foolish and childish with the big back tire, no doubt. Well made, very unique, and uniquely american- yes. If you wanted a unique bike that had USA and badass going on, mine does it. I can speak with some objectivity, since I also own:
    2014 Indian
    2 old collect-able Harleys
    Some british iron
    a 1986 VFR that is nearly perfect

I mention the other bikes for perspective. Every bike has its own appeal, market, and attributes. Never met a bike I didnt love. When Victory, EBR, or back in the day the British manufactures close shop- we are all diminished a bit. My hammer will likely never be collectible, but now a least it will be a reminder of lots of impossible to replace memories.

4. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Quite a list of bikes there, zxmikez.

Partial the the '79 GS, if you still have that. I had a '78 GS750, have a story about the '79 1000 I took for a demo.

Two Wheels = OK with me. I have preferences, but IF I could actually have a ride-able "Collection", there would likely be quite a diversity.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Isn't the Modus made here in the good ole U, S, OF A. ?

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, Motus is built in Birmingham to be exact. One parked next to me in Lynchburg, I looked it over real good and just didn't see $36K worth of motorcycle sitting next to my 8th gen. It would be faster in a straight line but there aren't many straight roads around here. Push rods are obsolete as well. No dealers for service/warranty either. Think I'll just ride an obsolete, low powered, undesirable, heavy Honda VFR......

7. Badbilly

United States
    Anybody have the real poop why this particular machine has been dropped from the Polaris line?

First on the agenda IMO would be insufficient sales levels.

8. Quibble

Quibble New Member

United States
    At some other forums I've read that dealerships which sold both Indian and Victory were consistently selling about five times as many Indians as Victories. It started already in 2015 and never tapered off. Victory sales have been in decline since 2012.

I think Indians cannibalized Victory sales much more than even Polaris had expected. I'm guessing many more people prefer the Indian styling.

Indian sales booming. Victory sales in decline. Polaris is choosing to focus on the much more successful brand. Just basic business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0199.JPG
    Sure looks like fun to me--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Gawd, i would rather ride a honda aquatrax, NOT :loco: a moped ride to the beach would be more appealing than that t-rex knock off, (what a way to ruin a perfect motorcycle engine.)

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I rode the piss out of one, did a review on here about it. It is not worth 36k but it is extremely well made and a hoot to ride.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Another "what if" thing before somebody decides that what they read on some manufactured news site is real and stick it up here.

Polaris does a joint venture with Motus and produces a bike that costs less than a Harley.

Polaris does a joint venture with Buell and produces a bike a bike with a V4 engine.

13. zxmikez

zxmikez New Member

United States
    Yeah , the GS is a special piece of iron. Lots of fun in nearly every dimension of riding, and for every style of rider. Truly quick and comfortable. I bought a 79 gs1000e as my first bike as a broke 19yr old in 1984. A lot of years, one marriage, and one divorce passed by. I found myself wishing I had kept that 1st bike. Stumbled across an absolute clone of the one I had (black, e model, etc) that was a 9. Couldn't pass it up, and I still ride the hell out of it. Good fun

14. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

15. Badbilly

United States
    Probably several versions beginning with a flat tracker clone followed by a roadrace looking machine. SOS, racebikes sell streetbikes. Polaris bought "Indian". Aboot the only thing that resembles the old Indians is that the Polaris Indian is a V twin. Joe Kopp and Chris Carr got paid big bucks for their time and expertise. I think maybe Polaris now wishes both guys weren't so honest aboot their comments. That's the way they roll, take it or leave it.

There are bike sites on the www that have history and all the numbers that obviate the BS associated with corporate speak. (from other quarters too)

Back in the day before mine or yours and corporate speak lifting and then attributing "Wrecking Crew" to Indian instead of the term being a Harley-Davidson appellation, another of the great Indian riders was Ed Kretz. aka "Ironman". Not to be confused with the movie version or Donald Trumf.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=72

16. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
  17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice read on Kretz. My grandfather road Hendersons and Harleys, don't know aboot Indian.

18. Badbilly

United States
    A guy in my club has a 1924 running but unrestored Henderson. Ya gotta be an octopus to ride the damn thing. Somebody ought to make a chip for bikes like that.

19. Badbilly

United States
    From that, Polaris may find it a tad difficult to place the new "Indians" on some showroom floors.

Corporate pressure on dealers to stock everything ain't nothin new. Honda and Yamaha included, even to the point of demanding that dealers expand to make room for related products to be sold. "You have our bikes and they sell well so now you need to put in our lawnmowers and ........."

20. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I agree with your statement.

The comments in articles are usually the most interesting and sometimes more informative.

Not knowing much of the story around the acquisitions Polaris made of Victory and Indian, it was troubling to read that some thought this could be copy paste article from when they took on Victory. And double-speak. And the bits about being more competitive with Harley.

But with usually anything...follow the $$$, make business decisions, and worry about what to say to the masses later. I'm not knocking business decisions or corporate moves, but it's downright cheeky and yet another moto dealer will probably close its doors and sit empty here in town.