Pikes Peak hill climb

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by RRJV, Mar 14, 2016.

1. RRJV

RRJV New Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone been to this? I think it looks like a fun time. Planning a trip out to Moab from MO and hitting up the race on the tail end of the trip.

http://www.ppihc.com/

2. Tiutis

Tiutis New Member

United States
    Map
    Not been there but heard many times planning to do everything early.. Accommodations, getting there very early to spectate..etc.
    It will be very hot in Moab that time of the year.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have read that it can be wet and or cold as you near the top so be prepared. Looks like it would be a nice event. Wouldn't mind riding that road closed.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The week after the main competition is when they have the All Harley trials. This is timed from the top to the bottom of the course. They used to run the Harleys from the bottom to the top but it made the whole event last as much as ten days.

Look for some spectacular times of late. The course is now paved and there are barriers in place just in case.. Pike's Peak is one of the last events that is not rule bound by a bunch of old rich dudes who skim off the top of racing.

5. RRJV

RRJV New Member

United States
    Map
    Haha! Last summer I rode Pikes Peak and it was fairly chilly at the top, but it didn't stop the harley guys from going up in their cut-offs and do-rags..I followed some on the way down and they went even slower than the cars. It ruined the fun, and it was such a slow pace that it seemed like more work and more dangerous at the same time. I bet it would be a blast to ride it without anyone else around.

Tiutis...Hopefully the weather will cooperate and not be overbearing. I endured 103F for two days of riding on the way out to CO last year, in an all-season jacket. It was hot, but plenty of water breaks made it manageable. Planning on taking a camelbak this year!

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There are all sorts of vests and liners that absorb water for big pesos. Pack a sweatshirt or a long john tops. Wet em down and wear them under your jacket. Swampcooler effect.