Pgm-fi

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by singleaction, Oct 8, 2005.

1. singleaction

singleaction New Member

Map
    Went out this morning to start my 98, and had a very hard time getting it to go. When it finally started, the pgm-fi indicator light was coming on/off. It had a pattern, on/off 7 times, would wait 5 secs, and do this over and over. I assume that this is some kind of a diagnostic code, but can not find any info. Can anyone help? Thanks, Charlie

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Service manual Says "Loose or poor contact on ECT sensor"
    Open or short circuit in sensor wire
    Faulty ECT sensor
    These are the causes of the 7 blink error code
    the symptoms are that it is hard to start at low temperatures

3. singleaction

singleaction New Member

Map
    Thanks Beefy for the info! I think that I will wait till the spring, and if the problem persist, will see if I can ride to the dealer, without breaking down. In the mean time I will look in the seat cowl at the sensor connectors. Take care, Charlie

4. singleaction

singleaction New Member

Map
    A quick update!

The weather has finally got to the point where I'm thinking of getting the bikes running.

I found that the vfr's battery was on the weak side(5yrs), even after having it inside and charged.

Went to start the VFR, and just got the same FI lite code. I read that if the battery was going south, that this may cause the electronics to give you false info!

Went out and bought new battery. It cranked faster, but still no go.

I was ready to give up,and have it picked up and delivered to the dealer, as I was afraid I might do more damage then good trying to trouble shoot the problem, when it wasn't obvious, to me anyway.

I did give it a couple of tries, and topped off the battery charge. Believe it or not, the thing started, and bellowed out a giant cloud of blue/white smoke! But ran, with the FI lite flashing the same code. I tried to put it in 1st gear with the side stand up, and the FI lite stayed on solid.

It did seem to straighten it self out, and ran(even with the lite) smooth, so I thought that the first nice day, i would get my wife to follow me to the dealer.

A miracle happened! I shut it off and went into the house, and waited 20 mins to see if it would start again, and much to my surprise it fired right up and ran perfectly with no more idiot lites at all!

I think this machine healed itself without human intervention! Go figure!