Passed another RED VFR Today

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by PARedVFRRider, Feb 17, 2008.

1. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

I was out riding today. Put in about 170 miles riding all over northern Chester, southern Berks County and northern Montgomery counties in Pennsylvannia. Well when I was passing the Coventry Mall on 724 I made a left onto Laurelwood rd and another Red VFR passed by. By the time I got turned around the guy was gone. I was just wondering if it was any of you guys.

Always looking for folks to go riding, so let me know.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Man, you must be hard core! It rained from about noon on yesterday, at least closer to Philly.

Would have been nice to ride today, 60+ degrees out there now, and looks dry at the moment.

3. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Well we didn't get rain up here in my neck of the woods till after 3pm on Sunday. I rode from about noon until 2:45pm. Got lucky. In fact when I was down there towards Knauer Pa, it was actually sunny and up in the 40s.

Today however the beautiful weather only lasted from 11am to 1pm. We had sun and it was easily into the high 60s. I rode the bike around the block with just my helmet and a long sleeve T and Jeans on, but I couldn't go further since I had kid duty. It was tempting.

Raining here now and it easily dropped 20 degrees. I'm dying for a time when those 60 and 70 degree days come back and stay for a while.

4. mikeym

mikeym New Member

Tom,

Whats going on bro? First post here....

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but what the heck.

I have an agreement on a 2000 VFR FI, I should be picking up this Saturday.

I'm very much looking forward to riding with you guys! I count myself blessed as I'm only turning 21 in May and I'll be riding a bike I didn't think I would be riding until I was established and had a fulltime job.

I'm very active with the CSBA (Christian Sportbike Association) and will be posting our rides all over the forum (heh heh!). We meet the first Saturday of every month in Allentown. We also have another guy that rides a VFR.

When I get a free second I'll be happy to meet up with you to go riding! (Looks like it won't happen until May however, I'm very busy with school).

~mikeym

5. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    He's hard core alright! :biggrin:

How do you like the shift kit you installed? I've contemplated this mod especially since I'll be using the bike at the track more this season.

If you don't mind me asking what is your riding style? More aggressive? Clutchless shifts? Commuter? I only ask because it makes a difference in how the kit will be perceived from an improvement perspective. Basically shifts at 10,000 + RPM aren't going to feel anywhere near the same as shifts for commuting. I'd like to hear any feedback you have.

We'll all have to catch up when the weather gets a little better...won't be long now!

6. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Love it, so far it is the best mechanical mod I have done. On my '07 it completely changed how the bike feels (while shifting). Incrediblly smooth shifts thru the entire RPM range.

I have not had the bike all that long so for the most part I just commute when the weather is good, I am still feeling out the bike and getting used to the sportier riding style over my last bike (Honda Shadow Spirit). I am no knee dragger for sure, but I totally enjoy faster accelerations, and this shift kit makes high R.P.M. (above 9k) extremely quick and sure, there is no doubt it has been an improvement, it also has a very sure feel to it so I have less worry of any missed shifts.

Shifts seem much crisper when you are really pushing the limiter. Someone at one point had said to use a technique of half-shifting (lift shifter), clutch, full pull to avoid the clunkiness of the OEM shift, this is no longer an issue but I still shift this way for a faster, semi-clutchless shift.

7. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

BTW - The first sunday rides start March 2nd, if the weather is good and schedules permit I hope to try and be there if anyone else is around we should meet there.

http://ephratamotorcycle.com/

8. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info John. I was hoping to do this over the winter but haven't gotten to it yet. I even went as far as to bid on a used transmission on Ebay in hopes of having it notched for better shifting. The price went higher than I was willing to spend plus the labor to get it back together would be a pain.

I'd be interested to ride one with the kit installed. I don't think I can make it on the 2nd. I've got some work to do on my soon to be home otherwise I'd be there without question. If it's sunny and 65, all bets are off though :biggrin:

9. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

John, I'll try to make it out there if the weather cooperates next weekend. I'll also work on Two4one as well. He's planning to work his tail off on his new house, which is admirable, but if the weather is cooperating Two4One I think we need get out there. I haven't ridden since last weekend and it's not looking good for this weekend with all that melting snow out there.

10. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Mike, saw the pictures of your bike in the other thread. Pretty sweet. You really going to be able to sit and look at that think every weekend till May and not get out there and ride? You must have stronger will power than I do. Heck I'm hoping this snow melts fast tomorrow so that I have a chance to ride the bike to work on Monday!

Congrats on your new ride. It's looks great. It looks like we have several folks in the area, so we should try to get a ride going sometime in March or April to get formally introduced.

11. mikeym

mikeym New Member

Thanks Tom... my bike is an hour and a half away in a garage thats why I can't ride everyday :)

Lets get a ride going come May or end of April.

Any of you guys doing the Burger run? (http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,21632.0.html)

I'll be there with a few buddies and the CSBA race team... We're riding up on Sunday morn if anyone wants to tag along :)

~mikeym