PAIR valve blockoff

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Def-E-nition, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    fuel consumption will largely depend on you simply staying below the 6400 rpm thingie . Doing that , I can almost guarantee you you will achieve great results , as the Bike was designed to be used this way .

What the Cat gutting usually results in , is a lowering of Overall head and exhaust temperature , something around 3-5 Degrees , and this is simply beacaue the Gases now escape with minimal Backpressure . I had a good lok inside the Cat , must say that it is a tightly packed item , and this is done sao that the cat has Maximum opportunity to make contact with the exhaust gases , to remove the unwanteds .

I cannot comment yet on the Muffler gut , as I have not built up enough courage to do this mod , but I would think that in doing this , better figures would be achievable as well .

2. aotto

aotto New Member

Map
    I agree, staying below VTech kick in, I get approximately 19.5 km/l. Riding hard brings it down to approximately 13.5 km/l.

There was no difference in my fuel consumption after fitting after market pipes or gutting the cat. An increase in performance was noticeable from bike to bum and the sound is awesome! It idles like a mini V8 but not too loud with a blood chilling howl when the VTech kicks in.

After I gutted the cat, I did notice a very slight smell of petrol or gas as the guys in the US call it from the exhaust at start up on a chilly morning but it disappears as soon as the bike has warmed up. The bike runs a few degrees cooler and the exhaust even allows a quick touch with a finger without an instant pre-cat gut burn.

3. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    mmmm did you see the pic I posted of that gutrted Muffler ??

Hectic shit eh ?? I wonder what it SOUNDS like man ......heh heh heh ...
    Must be insane standing next to a V4 at a robot .!!

4. David02VFR

David02VFR New Member

Well, i have just installed a set of Motad pipes with Stanetune cans and i have managed to lose 10 miles per gallon. and that is staying below 7k. last night i hooked the O2 sensor back up, and this weekend it goes in for a custom map. oh, and riding hard the milage dropped to 29 mpg. i did manage to achive the sound and performance that i was looking for but now getting only about 170 miles per tank sucks. if need be, i will go back to the stock pipes since i have a 1000RR for speed and the track.

5. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    29mpg .? thats not too bad surely ? 18km /liter ? not too bad in my books ...

6. aotto

aotto New Member

Map
    Frikkin gross! Looks like a sewerage pipe not like a zorst!

7. aotto

aotto New Member

Map
    No, that's 12.3 km/l which is a bit heavy. As mentioned, I get approx 13.5 km/l to 19.5 km/l which is 32 mpg to 46 mpg depending on how I ride. But then the VFR is a thirsty beast and no contender for any economy runs. I don't mind as the RRR's spent on fuel and you know what our fuel costs! It's still worth the enjoyment!

I suppose I can buy a Jonway skoeta and get amazing economy but ..... nah don't think so!

8. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    got the bike up to 235 on the N2 - the bike gets thirsty one time ...............damn . ride it open and that thing chews petrol !!!!!

9. David02VFR

David02VFR New Member

coming from 42 to 46 without using the second set of valves, down to 31 to 29 i think is a bit much. but you are not the first to tell me that 29 is not bad. it is just that i commute twice a month over 350 miles.

oh, riding the bike after gutting the cat, 98 pipes or Motad does not do the sound justise. Have someone else ride you bike and take it above the Vtec range… it is pretty loud, and the sound is freaking increadable!

Thanks everyone for the input. looks like it could be par for the course. will post the dyno run next week.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  10. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

I know someone with an F4i (CBR600) that gets 30mpg. I've seen the CBR1100 get as low as 22 (normally it's mid 30's) when the PC messed up and was DUMPING fuel, (loved the flames at night) and my VFR has ranged from 35-47.

Get the map worked out and give it some time to settle in. Try your commute once or twice and see how it does.

11. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map

AGREED . In ANY helmet , cheap Or expensive , I cant hear a DAMN THING !!
    I noticed this the first Day i bought the Bike - the only Crap about RIDING ones bike , is not being able to LOOK at ones own Bike ! Lol ! As i said earlier , I had the Bike up to 235 Last night . then 2 up we did 222 , Which in my opnion is not Bad . I couldnt hear a THing .....
    And then today my bud rocks up On a R1 Loaner , gets up onto the back wheel at 200 km.hour . Shhittttttttt .....

12. David02VFR

David02VFR New Member

not bad at all. this weekend is the map and next weekend will be one of the 300+ mile trips. looking forward to getting the map worked out. thanks.

13. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

Pair Valve and Cat

I've heard that the air added to the exhaust by the pair valve system helps to support the reaction that takes place inside the cat. Can blocking the pair valve cause the cat to coke up and plug? Just wondering.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    Nope . Helpingthe reaction ....maybe . Its more to do with giving the computer a clean Reading doing the emissions Control .

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    That's when riding with other VFR riders is fun. Not only do you get to look at other vfrs, but you hear them, too.

16. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    mmm.... I never Thought About that you know .... s'abit hard to ride with your head slung over one's own shoulder to hear the darn Zorst !!!

17. aotto

aotto New Member

Map
    Not that there are that many around here! Every time I see one I happen to be in the cage, try to race after it to hear what it souns like under load. If I do manage to catch up (very rare) it has stock pipes! Only heard one once with Laser pipes. Awesome!

18. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
  19. aotto

aotto New Member

Map
    Not nice!!!!!

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    what the hell was that car locking up the brakes for? I didn't see anything in his lane. That's crazy man. The guy almost slid through the gap in time.