PA VFR Deals Gap, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway Trip

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by PARedVFRRider, Apr 17, 2008.

1. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

In case any of you are interested there are some pictures of the run that Two4One and I did with some other guys down to Deals Gap in my photo Album. We had a awesome trip. If any of you are thinking of going, we have some great suggestions for roads. Specifically I would heavily recommend that you not miss the Cherohala Skyway NC 143/TN 165 run. As that road is simply awesome, I like it better than the Dragon. Of course the Dragon is a must as well. We ran it in the Snow and Rain and then came back the next day and ran it a few times in the dry. It's an awesome run as well. Much tighter for the VFR than the Cherohala Skyway which ends up requiring more work from the rider on the VFR due to the weight of our bikes. The Cherohala Skyway is simply made for the VFR.

Other roads not to miss include Rt 28 from the intersection at 19/28 near Robbinsville south east towards Franklin. I think this section has been called the Hell Bender and the name is well deserved. Very Dragon like without those really hard 90 plus degree bends the Dragon throws in once in a while to seriously slow you down. Rt 28 is just a flowing series of nice bends for many miles. Rt 28 from the interesection of 19 up to the Dragon past Fontana Damn is not bad either. Heavily recommended.

Actually, you almost can't miss in this area, I heavily recommend you beg, borrow or steal your way down there for some riding time. It is heavily worth it.

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Nice pics!

Glad the trip went so well.

Hey Two! Take the A sticker off your VFR brother, your not on the track LOL!

BZ

3. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Based on how we rode in Deal's Gap, I think we were at the track :biggrin:

Actually I left the "A" because I had already taken the numbers off which I wasn't going to originally. I figured it wasn't a good idea to be riding around with numbers on my bike. I'd be asking for even more trouble then. I need the "A" sticker to stroke my fragile ego, hahaha!

4. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    It's an awesome place to ride, I too love the Skyway. I'll be back down there this July!

5. PhatPat33

PhatPat33 New Member

I've yet to get down there, but will be heading down in July this year. Thanks for sharing the pics and road info. Do you have an GPS route files that you could share??

Seb, You're going down in July, too? Maybe we could meet up.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sweet, did the 1098 tricolore have any trouble keeping up?

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    He was just bumped to "A" with NESBA, he could keep up on a Ninja 250 if need be :biggrin: