Opinions on Valentino Rossi

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Ghost_Rider, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Betcha Rossi is faster than the beancounters.

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The others are legends, Rossi is still at it. His legend is still being written. Detials to follow.

3. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Rossi back on Yamaha ! link

4. wgash1

wgash1 New Member

Map
    Although l'm an Aussie and loved the efforts of Gardner, Mick Doohan ect, l have to admit staring in aw at the riding style of Freddy Spencer (which has now become the norm) and also Eddie Lawson who was such a consistent rider for so long and was always a force to be recond with on the track

5. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    on talent alone

top 5 of all time since WW2 in total achievements in my opinion, but to qualify this, he has had a very long & injury free career on some brilliant bikes, always had the best machine until he got a Duke - which still won racers with Stoner on it, he can't - guess the ducati doesn't suit his style & he can't adapt his style to the Ducati

Think what Spencer or Doohan would have acheived without injury - Doohan would have bagged another 2, if not 3 champs (the year he retired & the year he had hte Assen crash & lost to Rainey by a couple of points wer dead certs I reckon, maybe he would have got a couple more in the premier class)

he is a brilliant rider on a bike he can be confident on & suits his style, put him on something he cannot understand or cannot adapt too, he flounders

he is not a rider that could ride around problems like Spencer or Stoner

I think the proof will be Rossi going back to Yam & him beating Pedrosa & Lorenzo - it is such a shame Stoner did not stay around & take a yamaha ride, I would really liked to have seen him contest hte championship on one - if he won a champ on one he would have acheived what no other modern era rider has done 3 champs on 3 diff makes - that would really have elevated him past Rossi as one of the greats of this post Doohan era

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The stars just don't seem to be aligning for motogp. with stoner walking away at the end of 2012 we will never know how great a season 2013 would have been with all of the aliens on relatively equal machinery.

7. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    the door is shut at Honda for Stoner now with Marquez signed

imagine if Stoner won this years champ, changed his mind & then asked Yamaha for a factory position ? I still hope he changes his mind at the end (if he wins the championship & someone at Yamaha tries to convinces him to come & ride for them)

imagine what a year it would be in 2013 with Lorenzo, Stoner & Rossi on factory Yamahas & Dovi & Crutchlow on satellite bikes ? It would be worth moving to Europe for a year to follow all the races!

8. Badbilly

United States
    Rossi has been at this shit for years and is savvy to the politics of the "teams." Racing at that level involves psych. Why just the other day about half a dozen talking heads on TV (not including Oprah) were questioning if Usain Bolt was in shape. Not bad for a dude not in shape to take home three golds..

9. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    Rossi bluffed out Gibernau pretty well & Biaggi for a season or two

Lorenzo played him good & took it to him & spooked him pretty well - enough to jump to an inferior machine (for him, not for Stoner)

Stoner didn't take Rossis' bluff either, McWilliams & Crutchlow as well

Pedrosa hasn't had the mental toughness to beat Rossi at head games

10. Badbilly

United States
    Opinions are like errr..navels. Innys and outies both count. Anybody laying money on the line? Me? You gotta be kidding.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Rossi is doing very well at he Sepang testing. I predict he will be dicing it up with the front guys again on the Yahama.

12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I hope he does. It's been a while since he was a consistent front runner. He's had a bloody good long run though!

13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It will be interesting to see how he does next to Pedrosa. My guess is Pedrosa will be second and third quite a bit this season(shocker).

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Someone just told me Rossi got married?!

Never going to win another race if that's true. lol

15. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Sure came damn close yesterday. Rode the wheels off of it.

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Unlike Lorenzo, Rossi seems to be changing his style a bit to accommodate the tire issues with Yamaha. He also gives excellent feed back to his team.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Well, he is going onto the next race with a new chassis. http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/a-new-chassis-for-rossi-at-lemans-motogp-42929.html Let's see what difference it makes.

A New Chassis For Rossi At LeMans MotoGP

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP’s Valentino Rossi heads to the Grand Prix de France with a new chassis incorporated into his YZR-M1 package. Will he find the top podium?

Written by: Motorcyclist on May 14 2014 7:50 AM

wheelie wed

gpjerez ds s1d4953 original1 300x178 photoWith two MotoGP second place finishes so far this year (Qatar, Jerez), The Doctor seems to be a likely candidate to take the top podium spot away from Marc Marquez, who has not only won all four GPs so far this year, but has also qualified number one on each of those grids.

Heading into the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France at the Le Mans circuit this coming weekend, Valentino Rossi is keen to put last year’s difficult race at the French race behind him, after finishing the 2013 contest in 12th place.

The Italian has had nine podium finishes in the premier class at Le Mans, including three victories. Indeed those wins each came on different machinery – in 2002 riding a Honda, 2005 riding the 990cc Yamaha and in 2008 on Yamaha’s 800cc bike.

For 2014, Rossi will be looking to make best use of his current prototype and the new chassis for the hard braking areas of the layout and to return to the podium at the classic French track.

After his second place finish in Spain, Rossi said, “I am very happy about the weekend in Jerez, unfortunately I wasn’t able to win over (Marc) Marquez but I managed to win over (Dani) Pedrosa and Jorge (Lorenzo). I am also happy about the test done on the following Monday at the same track. During the test I continued to work on the new chassis and I like it, it helps me especially with the front tire.”gpjerez ds s1d4436 original 300x164 photo

“At Le Mans I will have only one new chassis but I am confident that Yamaha will bring me the second chassis as soon as possible. I want to continue the work on this. I made good times during the test, even the “time attack” was good and so I will try to start from the front row at Le Mans. It’s a positive moment for me because I’m pretty fast, I work well in the box and I think we can be very optimistic. We can have a good race.”

18. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd have a beer with him.

19. Badbilly

United States
    I wonder if he dyes his hair and eats pizza?

20. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Well its an old thread with new posts, but Rossi is arguably the best MotoGP rider in the 00 decade. He is still a very capable rider. And with a new tire manufacturer coming along in 2016, who knows which bike will work best.

The biggest problem with MotoGP now is the seriously reduced testing allowed, it limits the ability of the race riders to get the bike just right for the tyres. A test rider can determine if the engine or tyre is better for him & his style, but not for the race riders. Just notice how often the test riders do wildcard entries & don't do particularly well, but they should as they live & breath those bikes for more laps than anyone else !

Hope the Doctor does well this weekend, just want to see someone beat Marquez. But looking at the lean telemetry, Marquez is always able to use a degree or two more lean than anyone else & watching him backing it in Moto2 style shows where he makes up time. Rossi used to do that on the 990's so he should still be able to now !