OMFG How much torque???

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Lint, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The article is making a big deal about the 1500HP. Why are they not talking about the torque. The earth bending, face ripping torque of 2950 ftlbs pf torque. The article claims it has 4000NM of torque. Coverts to 2950 ft lbs of torque. I can't even imagine that. How in the hell do you design a tire to withstand that? You would have to wear a GSuit from a fighter jet just to stomp the pedal!

http://www.gizmag.com/singapore-dendrobium-hypercar-electric/41979/

[​IMG]

Singapore's first home-grown hypercar is in development by a new company called Vanda Electric. The Dendrobium, named for a Singaporean orchid, is an ambitious project that's projected to make some 1,500 horsepower, 4,000 Nm of torque and a blistering 0-100 km/h time around 2.6 seconds. With the Williams Advanced Engineering team on board and some SG$10 million in capital behind it, it looks likely that we'll get our first glimpse of a full-sized prototype in Geneva in 2017.

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You found this article in "Giz Mag" and it features "asian" Technology?

Now I know you're married for 20 years, but what were you really looking for? :)

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hahaha! I'm innocent this time...

4. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    It's an electric car, and electric motor's torque is highest at a stand still, and once it gets going the actual power applied decreases (I think because of the RPMs increasing). Saying that an electric car's torque is 3000 ft/lbs is about as relevant as saying that, given the right units, it takes nearly infinite acceleration to increase speed from zero MPH. What IS relevant is the 0-60 time, which is pretty crazy. But during that run to 60, the car is not applying 3000 ft/lbs of torque.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Electric motors are know for ridiculous torque. Looks like it could be a bad ass car.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    True, as we do not have a tire technology to apply all that to the street. It's still insane though. Surprisingly enough, it's projected 0-60 time isn't that different than what's available with gas and or hybrid supercars today. My guess is that it would be limited by traction. Of course at this point, it is all an estimate. If/when it gets built, it will be interesting to see what the real numbers are.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Electrics are neat, that's for sure. They do have some short comings and the biggest is sound, or the lack of it. I'm a big race fan and will watch almost any racing. I've tried to watch the E-Formula series and haven't gotten thru a whole race yet. Why do you ask. It's because it's too quite and no race car engine sounds.

Everybody knows in order to have a badass vehicle it has to make badass sounds. The motor has got to sound powerful. Just ask the Hardley guys. Their bikes sound badass and are the badestass bikes on the street. So I think the designers of electric cars need something like the "Sound Racer" piped in to exterior hidden speakers on cars like the Dendrobium, Tesla and like. They have to sound badass.

You can hear the V8 at the 50 sec mark. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4886745E98B931CFF8854886745E98B93&FORM=VRDGAR
    OR
    the V12 at the 30sec mark. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3AFA43D9E1F2AB4862463AFA43D9E1F2A&FORM=VRDGAR

I'm sure you could custom make the sound of any high screaming V8,V10 or V12 of any design to make the car sound badass. That is if they want to sell them in the states. JMO............

8. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I suspect that traction is the limiting factor here for cars that also need to be able to turn (i.e. not dragsters with huge 4' wide tires).