Ohhh (sh!t) Canada, Thank You

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by havcar, Mar 5, 2010.

1. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I just wanted to take a second to thank all of our Canadian members for a truly great olympics. Being from Colorado, many of the U.S. athletes are from my home state, making the winter games that much more meaningful for me. I can't express in words, how the gracious behavior of all Canadians toward all of the olympians from every country, but especially the people from my area, has inspired me to be more thoughtful and compasionate. Because so many of the althletes reside in Colorado, I am made privy to some of the more intimate and obscure comments made by the participants, in our local newspapers. Everyone of them, from Vonn to Spillane, has had nothing but glowing words of appreciation toward their experiences in B.C.

I know that Canada was snake bitten in the begining with some weather, ice, and mechanical issues. But my thought is that kind of stuff happens all the time and what matters is how it is responded to. I think that Canada responded to all of the random issues with grace and pride and that every Canadian can be proud of their nations achievements on these international stages.

The only reason I say sh!t is because I have suffered a most painfull and traumatic agony in team USA's loss to Canada in the gold medal round of hockey. I may never get over that one and do hope that you Canucks are enjoying the win, which I know you are. Live to fight another day I guess.

Anyways, you Canadians hang 'em high and be proud of yourselves. Canada put on a hell of a show, and I for one can't thank you enough for how you welcomed and graciously treated the international community. The heartfelt applauds for all of the non-Canadian athletes was truly in the spirit of the games and a very welcome site. Certainly worth remembering.

And since she won't, allow me to make apologies for Mancuso's tierra wearing behavior. What a bitch!

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Great write up and thank you, I mean it. Yes the victory was a victory but I took it as a nice road hockey game amongst friends. It certainly wasn't a USA vs USSR Rocky fight that's for sure. We had a great time, the energy up here was insanely positive and that could be felt simply waking up in the morning. It was a great time, and I feel very lucky to have been able to experience it, but I'm glad it's over.

I'll post a couple pictures that I took.

3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Here are a few pics, I can add a couple more if desired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

I agree Havcar,the Canucks really know how to throw a party. It was a very memorable winter Olympic games.
    My heartfelt congratulations to the Canadians for winning the hockey Gold medal. Damn that game was exciting wasn't it?

5. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks, sorry about taking the gold. Even though it would have been nice, being the 50th anniversary of the miracle on ice and all, we just don't like losing at hockey. I just hope Miller can help get the Sabres back on track. Go Raffi!

:crazy:

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I haven't watched the overtime period of the gold medal game yet so no on spoil it for me.

Havcar. From my perspective these games were astounding. And I have to say, one reason it was so successful was because of how the spectators behaved in our streets. Our streets were just packed to the brim with people celebrating these games. And they were not all locals however there certainly were lots of those. A substantial number were our friends from south of the 49th, the overall leaders in the medal race. And regardless of that final game, everyone's behavior, even when wlel under the influence of booze, was grand. If you were there, then I thnak you for doing your part in making my job fun during the games.

7. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    It did look like quite a party and I wish I had planned to ride up and see the games. So if Squaw Valley gets the 2022 games you all are invited down for a California party.

8. Squamish VFR

Squamish VFR New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'd like to say thanks for the nice words too. I have an amusing little story: I work in Whistler on the mountain but off due to injury and as such we decided to bug out to Hawaii for the games. We were walking through the Ala Moana shopping mall in Wakiki and noticed a rather large group of people gathered watching the Hockey game. Now I knew that it was Can vs US but i don't follow the grey cup or anything, just not my game but people were loud and boisterous so we thought we'd distance ourselves from this group of US fanatics and have lunch, it obviously wasn't going well for us anyway. As We sat down for lunch accross the way these people come unglued and start cheering wildly and I said to my wife," I guess we lost again..." A few minuites later our waiter congratulated us. First, I wasn't aware that my accent was strong enough to notice as distinctly Canadian but OK; he said Canada just won the gold. So it turns out that all those people were canucks! Wakiki was chock full of Whistler and Vancouverites escaping the frenzy. We even ran into someone we knew on the street! Small worlld and getting smaller.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would never "ride" down to California for a party. A BBQ maybe. But just to ride Dunlop road may be enough reason. Will I see you at Slo 2010?

10. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Classic story, thanks. It's good to know that anyone can get abnoxious, not just Americans. Although, for the record, I'm not to into that sort of stuff myself and do sometimes find the behavior of my countrymen embarrassing.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Yeah, Miller shined for the most part, and then the shit hit the fan on that weak game ending goal. In Denver we have a great U.S. goalie for the "Colorado Avalanche" named Anderson. He barely missed the U.S. team, because of an odd choice by the coach to go with the younger Miller, we will never know how that game would've turned out otherwise.

12. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Yes most excellent Winter Olympics. Thank you for the good show and sportsmanship. But there is one question?? What did you do with all the cranberries???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sister-in-law works for OceanSpray.

13. havcar

havcar New Member

Map

14. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Throughly enjoyed watching this years Olympics, now that it's over there's not much good left on TV until racing began. Amazing work by all involved and Canada shined before the whole world. Well done. I watched as much of it as I could, except for curling, which appears to be one of those things that are much more fun to play than to watch. Maybe you had to be there. I imagine that for those of you lucky enough to have attended some of the events that was truly something special you'll remember.

15. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    The girl from the Swiss curling team is super cute though ...

16. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Troof.... In fact quite a few of the female curlers weren't bad at all. Some had a definite soccer mom milf thing going on. And of course there was always the women skiers. We are such pervs :biggrin:

17. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Carmen Schafer

swiss curling team member - eBaum Nation Forum

Looks like I wasn't the first to think this either......