notchy shifting

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by taylor65, Mar 10, 2013.

1. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Like the title says im having some shifting problems lately. It is most noticeable in the higher gears but it is definitely still there in the lower gears also. I dont notice anything while shifting down. But when shifting up it feels like its catching on something like a detent or having to shift twice. I dont know its hard to explain but this bike has always been kinda hard to shift up and from what i have read the vfr is not known to be one of the smoother shifters. My question is, is there something that can be polished or replaced to give it a nice smooth shift. Also after an oil change it may help a little but not much. I tried going to hondas synthetic oil and that didnt help either. Just made the clutch slip. The clutch is fine as well and i keep good fluid in it. Thanks in advance

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I always hold upward pressure on the shifter while releasing the clutch. It will shift smother if you half clutch it too. Oil also makes a difference in mine. Mine seems to be happiest with 15w40 rotella.

As for your actual question - sorry, I'm not aware of what, if anything can be done for an actual fix.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Factory Pro Shift kit would help you out...Stiffer spring, new detent arm with a real ball bearings, new gasket. Check for your make and model...

4. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Thanks for the advice. On the next ride i will try keeping a little extra pressure and see if that helps. But that factory pro kit is interesting. Its a little pricey but if it does what they claim i bet it would make shifting more fun. Im kinda a cheap do it yourselfmod kinda guy. I would be interested to see what kinda shape my stock star looks like and if cleaning it up with some 400 or 800 wet/dry sandpaper would do. I dont guess it would hurt it anyway. Would like to hear from someone as well that has tried the factory pro kit on their vfr. Thanks again

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    i installed onr on my bike 18 years ago, and the bike resides in my garage now. if this helps.

7. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I guess thats a pretty good testimony of it. I will have to put that on my wish list for sure.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    They have an excellent customer support too, A1 product to boot. Their jet kits are nice as you dont have to drilll your slides, but you have an FI bike so000...good luck, if you dont have a factory honda manual, it may be a good idea to invest in one, I always get one for what ever bikes I own...Cheers, yes VFR is a member of my family more than the other two bikes I own along with it...

9. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Yes i have the service manual as well. Seems i have read that most vfrs have notchy shifting or at least not as good as most other bikes. I cant remember if my 86 was or not.

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Tink and RideVfr know way more than me, but I'm just wondering about something. You mentioned when you put Honda Synthetic in your clutch slipped. Is this a general sign that maybe your clutch is shot, and contributing to your clunky shifts?

I don't know - I'm just asking.

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    my 93 shifts like a Swiss watch...get the kit, you wont be disapointed, I had them fab something up for one of my old Nighthawks, when I owned one. They definately work...you can feel the affects of a new oil change on shifting and just general ridability of bikes imho...as far as synthetics vs other synthetics,,,cant tell you, I used Amsoil and Mobil One...VFR gets the Amsoil, Kawasaki gets Mobil 1...Cheers...I replaced a high - mileage clutch with the springs, plates (both-metal and friction) you feel the difference when you down shift, it maybe a tiny bit quieter...as far as slipage, zero. You do notice a little more get up and go above 120 mph or so...more a clunk from nuetral to first gear when you begin your ride (ie-cold bike, choke etc.) then its quiet...but other bikes do the same shite...

12. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I recently checked over all my clutch parts. Everything was well within spec. I did it during my winter go over ie valve adjust oil change coolant change you name it i was bored. I forgot all about the notchy shifting then. But looking in the book it seems fairly easy to get to the star and spring detent thing. Wish i had done it then. Trying the full synthetic was an attempt to help the shifting. Its not as though im missing shifts its just that i really have to concentrate to upshift so i dont miss a shift. This bike has never been the slickest shifter but im sure its getting worse. If i could spare the 200 right now that factory pro sure sounds good.

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I swear by the Factory Pro kit. The VFR isn't known for having a very smooth gearbox straight from the crate and it certainly doesn't get much better with time. I am even using one for my current supermoto project. It is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do for a VFR. Buy it, use it, and be glad you did.