Not a Teaser! 1983 VF750F resto project

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Sebspeed, Feb 7, 2008.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Nice :bump2: Donald.

I think around page 4ish or so Seb said he sent the carbs out? They sure look purdy!

Seb, any idea how much "out of pocket" you have into the project? I know you've been waiting for the right deals on some of the stuff, called in favors for others, and used some employer loaned equipment time for still more savings....

But reading the thread it's tough to tell if you have $500 or $2500 into this thing. No doubt whatever it is, you'll have a brand new, showroom quality, classic ride with new goodies that will be worth every penny! Just curious!

2. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    My diaphragm tops are pretty pitted and rusted, and I liked what you did with yours. What grit did you sand them down with before painting, and how many coats did you apply? Anyone?

3. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    I have never seen a set of those stampings that was NOT pitted. Some worst than others.

The painting looks good. Too bad consumers can no longer get ANY spray paint that is fuel proof. Honda should take this as a lesson in HOW not to plate a stamped sheet metal part. Matter of fact if they had used stainless and annealed it. There would be NO problems at all.

All those gas tanks made from sheet metal that we have to paint and line the inside of, should be stainless too. That would make the planet greener BIG TIME!!!

WHEN oh WHEN will the companies listin to us about getting fuel proof spray paint in a can?? Cheeeeessssshhhh.

In this photo you will see a little bump on the sheetmetal cover. Under neath that bump it is a vent hole for some reason.
    I cannot figure out what it does, but if it was not for that vent hole the Harley Davidson 40mm Keihin carb cast aluminum cover would work perfect. I bought one and tried it. Fits perfect and all measurements the same EXCEPT it does not have that vent hole protrusion. If a forum member would try one on a running bike we would all know a way out of those pitted rust stamped sheet metal covers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. rideswithchrist

rideswithchrist New Member

This is my first post on the board. I've been lurking for about a month now, gleaning bits of information for my 85 700 rebuild/make-run, but I cant NOT say anything about this thread. It is now 1am and I have read almost every post in this thread, and am even more motivated than before to make this thing happen. Thanks for your thorough documentation on your buildup, it has been and will continue to be very informative and motivating. I'd post up pics of mine, but it is just too ugly and abused! Someone painted it (over the decals of course) a horrible chameleon type purple/green. I'm having some problems with the engine, but I'll post that up somewhere else. Keep up the great work.

5. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

R.W.C. you got to give us some before pics

6. rideswithchrist

rideswithchrist New Member

... I forgot that I posted this :) *before* pics denote that there will be an *after*.... and now I'm kind of doubtful. I just posted in Mechanics Garage about a possible buzzkill on my own project.

Sorry to hijack!

7. donald branscom

Map
    What are you really trying to tell us RWC????? Don't understand.
    Could not find a post started by you in Mechanics Garage.

I will take one more look.
    Nope ...no posts by you on the last two pages.

Why don't you just start over and post the before pic, and tell us the whole story from the beginning .
    Just a truthful complete story. Thanks.

We can work with "ugly and abused" as the "BEFORE" pic. Were big boys.

8. supertex

supertex New Member

9. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry it's been so long... most of my painted parts are media blasted with glass bead before paint, the diaphragm tops were no exception.

Preload adapters are made, need to hog out the fork caps and weld the new parts in.
    [​IMG]

Possibly moving the mirrors to the ends of the bars, so I made these 2pc bar ends and mounting brackets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've got, busy working on other stuff. At this rate, I'll have to take it back apart for a cleaning before I get to ride it - the dust is starting to build up... heh.

10. dcompson

dcompson New Member

You sir, have some excellent skills!

11. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Bike is looking great man!! Just gotta ask though...does anyone know of a 520 sprocket that will fit the stock rear wheel? Thought i read somewhere that the VF and the CBRs used the same sprockets but would rather confirm for sure before i go ordering the wrong parts. The main benefit of changing to a 520 is to have reduced weight and less rotating mass correct?

Also forgot to ask about the clutch master cyl. What model is it off of and any benefits of using it over the stock part? Also does anyone know of any more modern brake master cyls that can be used on these bikes without making the brakes perform wierdly?

12. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Negative, they do not use the same sprocket as the CBR's. You might try contacting JT as I think they offer good prices on custom sprockets like this.

13. levizzle

levizzle New Member

Hey i love what your doing. Just a question about the paint job, are they the originals colours? That blue looks slightly different from other bikes I have seen. Did you choose that blue or is it the standard one? If its not, would you be able to tell what the paint code is for that blue, cause I just bought a 1983 VF750 and I want to return it to its original design instead of the bad blue can job I have right now. Cheers

14. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    hello, the tank and tail are original from a 1985 VF700F. The upper fairing is also from a 1985 700F, but in the opposite color scheme. All will be repainted, at some point.

15. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I love the rebuild.

The bike looks fantastic so far.

It's taking way too long.

Just my thoughts.

16. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    I cleared off the lift and rolled the bike outside recently, and blew the dust off it. Haven't done any other work on it, been busy with other projects. It won't be done this year, maybe over the winter.

[​IMG]

17. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike New Member

Map
    Very cool project! Can't wait to see it come together. I have the same bike that has been sitting, unused for 15 years! I am looking for someone to go over the engine and transmission in hopes of getting it running again. Do you know someone qualified for the job?

18. donald branscom

Map
    WOW !!! Looking very nice. Good photo too.

19. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    That would be the one and only Dave Dodge!

drp123@mindspring.com
    (704)526-6402

20. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Great Pictures!!! Would love a Handy Lift...