Northern NJ / Eastern PA riders... Its getting to be that time again...

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by DenT, Apr 20, 2011.

1. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Anything being planned for the weekend?

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe.....

3. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    What the heck happened to all you guys?

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry for never calling you Dino. But thanks for the pics!

The months of July and August were some of the worst in the last 10 years of my life.

Anyway, I've been dealing with the affects of Irene and the remnants of Lee for the last 2 weeks. My sump pump is still pumping (mind you, I never even had a sump pump up until a week ago). By my count, I've pumped somewhere in the area of 45,000 gallons of water in the last week.

Between having FEMA, the town engineer and board of health, a private land surveyor and engineer, excavators, and RADON company over to my house, I haven't had time to scratch my ass. All this going on while putting in 12 to 14 hour days in the office when I can get in there.

All this means no riding for me. Can't make this weekend. Too much to do still.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You know when I used to live in old NJ my folks house had flooding problems when the winter thaw would melt or during some hellacious rain storms. So,,,I used my friends Kobota back-hoe to dig two trenches and used black plastic pipe tied in to the gutters and what the sump pump expelled to a rock pit. Basically a rock pit is maybe 10 feet deep by five, give or take. I filled this with river rocks and then used tar paper before I back-filled it.

No more flooding after this mod - Boy I would pay to ride Bear Mountain and that Wanaque Rez area, Green Pond area off of 287 was nice. FL is a more motorcycle friendly place than NJ was. Glad I grew up there though :smile:

6. irvfr

irvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Pilskin, 45,000 gallons of water is approximately 30x30x7' of water. That's a lot of water. Hope everyone is safe.

I couldn't ride much either this season because so much work came in one after another. Let's plan something before we get the first snow. Sorry to mention the 'S' word :)

7. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes Florida is really motorcycle friendly.....318 miles and 11 curves! :hss:

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    It is a huge amount of water - but assuming that the published figures on a sump pump (whether its 1/3, 1/2 or larger HP), it tells you it moves "X" amount of gallons per minute at an elevation of 8, 9, 10 feet, etc.

My pump ran for a straight 56 hours, and on a safe estimate of 15 GPM that's close to 50,000 gallons.

As for riding? Haven't done any in a freaking month and not looking good this weekend either.

9. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    So whats up with guys, anyone riding this Sunday? It might be the last warm day of 2010. I will be heading down to the race track in Millville,NJ on Saturday morning to do the Yamaha test ride with the NESBA crew and maybe see if I can get some track time wit the VFR.

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Dino. Another no go weekend for me. Off to San Diego for business this weekend and not back until Thursday.

Have fun at Millville.

11. DenT

DenT New Member

United States
    Map
    So i started this thread huh? Interesting...

The Silver Pony has been couped up in the garage for the last month. Apparently everyone i know is either having kids or getting married so i don't get many weekends anymore. Out this weekend for a wedding. Possibly free on Monday due to the fake holiday that my company observes. let you know...