North Georgia Ride Sept. 14 - All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Joey_Dude, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    As much as I hate to say it, I think that I may end up cancelling this trip. Because of the hurricane hitting Texas most of the gas stations near my house are completely out of gas. The price of gas has also jumped by almost 50 cents from this morning to this evening. The few stations that do still have gas have cars lined up 10 deep waiting to fill up. I'm positive that by tomorrow many of the gas stations in the metro area will be completely out as well. I just don't think it will be smart to go on a long ride without knowing if fuel will be available. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.

Regards,
    Rollin

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I understand Rollin and I think we'll have to cancel the trip altogether but I'll see how it is tomorrow. There's this news article: Gas prices surge as Ike moves in | ajc.com

What I'll do is ride around gas stations nearby tomorrow and if there are quite a few either out of gas or have huge lines I'll have no choice but to call off the ride. I really hope not but it would suck even more to ride over 50 miles from home and not have enough gas to make it back.

Thanks for the heads-up!

3. matchbox5

matchbox5 New Member

I realliy hope things work out, ive never rode in a group situation. I am still looking foward to checking out all the other bikes. If the weather permits, the Lord will guide us to the petro

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    All righty, I did a survey of gas stations nearby. Out of over 7 of them only 1 was closed completely and as for the rest of them either all pumps are available or one pump was garbage bagged.

The weather is looking good for sunday too.

So taking this into account the ride is still on with a little catch. I would prefer to fuel up more frequently just in case we have difficulty finding an available gas station. I know that I can go all the way to Helen on one fill-up but halfway there I want to fill up. I know it isn't quite ideal but damn I gotta get my bike fix ;)

Anyway, if any of you guys don't feel like going that's all right I understand... you're just a wimp ha ha. See you guys tomorrow!

5. matchbox5

matchbox5 New Member

Kool, looking forward to bending some corners. I knew things would work out. Check this out, if any one live in the downtown Atl area, call me and we could ride to the rally point together. ( hope that doesnt sound gay) 404 886 7798 matchbox5

6. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    i wished i could come to this one but way to many are out of fuel around my area so im not chanching it since i ride mine daily to and from work every day including rainy days i have a full tank now

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I am so pissed off right now!!!! I decided to check out the fuel situation further North so I jumped on my bike and took off toward Helen. A few filling stations were out of gas but the majority did have fuel. I filled up and decided to ride for a few more hours. On the way back home I decided to stop at Brasstown Bald to check out the view and on the way back down the mountain I hit some gravel in the road doing about 35 mph and dumped the bike. Other than a pretty nasty cut and some major swelling in my right thumb I am ok. I inspected the bike and it appeared to be ok except for the broken left mirror, bent clutch lever, and deep scratches on the left side tank and fairings. The bike started up fine and there were no leaks so I decided to ride the bike home to Duluth. I rode for about 15 minutes and pulled over to inspect the bike and there did not appear to be any noticeable change. About 20 miles from home I pulled over again to check the bike and it seemed fine until the temp got to @ 225 and the fan kicked on. The fan started making a terrible sound and the engine temp was quickly rising. I turned the engine off and let the bike rest for a few minutes and then decided that as long as I kept the bike moving I should be ok until I got closer to home. About 3 miles from home while at a stoplight the temp started climbing again I noticed that coolant was leaking badly under the bike. I was able to get the bike home and it is now sitting in my garage. I am eager to get the fairings off to inspect for any hidden damage but my thumb is really swollen and hurting due to a deep cut that looks like it may need some stitches. My gloves, jacket, and pants are all trashed now but at least they did their job. Needless to say I am quite pissed off about the whole thing and will not be able to join you guys tomorrow. I guess 19 years of accident free riding had to come to an end sooner or later.

Regards,
    Rollin

8. matchbox5

matchbox5 New Member

Dang buddy, I was looking forward to riding with you. Hope you and the bike heal up quickly. Will u be at there to kick us off tomorrow?

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Oh man that sucks Rollin! That does give a new meaning to the term "taking one for the team". We'll have lunch in your honor and as soon as you're back in shape we will go for a ride and I'll bring a first aid kit!

10. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Rollin, sorry to hear of your let down. Heal fast and get the bike fixed.

11. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Well, an update is in order... I got a better turnout than expected with 7 of us showing up for the VFR parade. I was the only 5th gen and Kurt was the only 4th gen there and others were 6th gen VFRs. Sorry I didn't bring a camera I didn't feel like it.

We went on a fun ride up the georgia mountains. Route 348 was a lot more fun than I thought it would because I'd never been on it and it's to be a scenic route but it's got a lot of challenging curves to keep you occupied all day.

There was a little interruption in the fun when we saw a biker in the middle of the road lying down and his bike was laying down on the shoulder. It looks like what happened was a car cut in front of him and he had to slam his brakes but it threw him off the bike. Fortunately the guy's ok but for a while there he was disoriented and kept forgetting things and had a hard time walking. The bike is pretty beat up but he was able to ride it home even though it was leaking brake fluid. I hope he didn't run out of brake fluid on the way home, that would not be a good thing!

Then we had a nice lunch up in Helen, Georgia (nice segue eh?) For some reason I guess I'm always with a certain type of biker crowd because the subject of cops came up. Just about every time I go on a group ride the subject of cops comes up ha ha!

We were planning on riding some more but matchbox, mike and his buddies had to call it a day so me, kurt, and my buddy kept on riding. We got up to brasstown bald and went up to the observation deck. It was really cool, you can see georgia, north carolina, tenesee, and south carolina all in one spot. If you ever need a tranquil moment or a quiet nice place I highly recommend that place.

But it was getting a little late so we headed back home together. I enjoyed riding with you guys and I would ride with you guys again anytime!

12. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Glad to hear you had a good time. Hopefully will get my fan and mirror fixed soon and join you for the next ride. What kinda pace did you guys ride at? Where did you end up having lunch?

Regards,
    Rollin

13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    As Drewl alway said

No pictures mean it never happen:unsure::unsure:
    Just messing with you Bud.....Glad you guys went out and have fun:sportbikesmile::vtr2:

14. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah, we need proof that you Easterners ACTUALLY ride together. The unscrupulous would just make up a nice story out of jealousy of the West Coasters.

15. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    With the pace it was 4 of us hauling :moonie: and 3 of us hanging behind going at a relaxed "touring" pace. My buddy at the #1 position almost did a high side and had to chill out a little after that. I got to say my body's sore from all the hard braking and body shifting! Oh my position was #3 with matchbox at #2 and kurt at a close #4. I was in the hauling a$$ group, as you can see.

As for lunch, I don't know the name of the place but it was under the chattanooga bridge. We could see people floating around on tubes as we had lunch. I had a killer dog, which is a chili dog with fries. I thought it was pretty good though a little on the expensive side. Oh and this place had ginger ale which is a good thing in my book.

So are you going to fix the bike yourself or are you taking it to the stealership? How's your thumb anyway? Did you have to get stitches after all?

16. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    ha ha, I'll get everyone to testify under oath that the events took place!! :bs:

17. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    My thumb and shoulder are pretty sore and I still can't move them much. I ended up putting a butterfly bandage on my thumb and now that the oozing has stopped it looks like it will heal fine without stiches. I've already order a new left side mirror and plan to take the fairing off this weekend to inspect the fan. I just hope the radiator is ok since they cost over $400. Hopefully I can do the repairs myself and avoid having to pay the stealership. The plastic is scratched but at least it's not cracked or broken in any places so I am going to try to fine sand it and polish it to see if it will look any better. I guess I'll have to live with the tank scratches for now. How difficult will the fan be to replace if needed? I'm pretty handy but I have never done much other than basic oil changes and hope the repairs to the fan and/or radiator will not be very difficult. Are you implying that you would like to help in exchange for dinner? :wink:

Regards,
    Rollin

18. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    the fan sits in a plastic bracket inside the left rad.
    It should be fairly simple--I think it's a plug-in.
    you'll have to pull the rad though.
    the fan and the blades are separate.

19. matchbox5

matchbox5 New Member

Thanks for putting the ride together dude,. I ve never rode In a group situation and was super pleased at how kool you guys were. I would ride with you guys anytime. Joey I owe you a ginger ale for paying for my parking. ha ha. By the way, do you indulge in alcholholic beverages? If so a couple of beers are certainly in order. Take it easy guys and be careful. Holla at yall! PEACE

20. PUSkunk

PUSkunk New Member

I'm pretty sure that was my former boss (I got laid off last week). He was riding his R1 when some old people in a Crown Vic cut him off and exactly what you said, he locked the front end up and low sided. He thinks. He lost consciousness for a little while and was disoriented, but he made it into work ok today. He lives in Fair Play, SC 2 miles from the GA border. The old people's insurance is paying to fix the bike and replace his gear.