Non VFR electrical question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Spike, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Spike

Spike New Member

switching out the battery on my wife's car and don't want to lose all the memory stuff -- again. So I was wondering, either I have a really clever idea or a really stupid one - I suck at electrical stuff, so I am not sure. I was thinking, what if I hooked up my Battery Tender to the cables before I unhook the battery, that way while I run to costco to swap out the battery, would that:
    a) fry the car's electrical system
    b) brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that
    c) wouldn't blow the car up, but wouldn't work either

2. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    Back when I had an Audi TT, there was a guy on Audiworld (Jeff Bipes) who created a battery backup for stereo codes etc, that simply plugged into the 12v socket. Worked a treat for battery changes.

I have no clue what happens to a car/bike when you power the 12v system with no battery in place, though.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have a tool that plugs into the cigarette lighter that does just that very thing. A battery tender most likely wont cut the mustard though if you open a door and activate the courtesy/dome lights as that will be too much for it. If your careful not to turn anything on it should work.

4. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

A mechanic used a 9v transistor radio (remember those?) battery plugged into the accessory jack when I had a battery replaced. I agree with T.C. that I wouldn't open a door or anything that would turn on lights.

I wouldn't worry about frying anything. Your car battery can provide in excess of 600amps, a battery charger 6-10. At work our mechanics have a starter booster that puts out 26volts for jumping. The only thing they ever fry is the 2-way radios that I maintain.

5. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    A quick search on Google suggests that most cars draw less than 50mA when the car is turned off, but a Battery Tender won't work; it needs to sense a pre-existing voltage before it will produce an output. A "normal" battery charger might produce too high of a voltage without the battery as a buffer/load, and the only way to check that is with a voltmeter.

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Hook up another battery in parallel. Take the neg off first then pos. replace same order. Or get a lighter/outlet adapter and hook it up to a 12v sq flashlight batter or whatever and then plug into your outlet as others have said.

7. Spike

Spike New Member

I had one of those, well still have it in my tool box, but it is no longer of any use as on all my cars for a while, the power outlets have all been switched. Meaning if the car isn't running, the juice doesn't flow. Mine was store bought, like $5 or so, used a little 9v battery.

I actually went by a auto parts store on my way home, and stopped in, and I was glad I did. Even thought they din't have it on their website, they had something that works in a similar way, except instead of the cigarette lighter, you plug it in to the OBD port and it provides power to the elec system. $12, but sooo much easier than having to do the radio stations again, the Nav system settings, seat/mirror memory, etc. Also doesn't run off a 9V battery, but instead uses the cigarette lighter outlet on a booster pack. Weird, but it worked.

8. Spike

Spike New Member

THANKS All!