niagra falls ride

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by supervfr, Feb 13, 2009.

1. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    I agree, Canada on Saturday and NY on Sunday. See everyone in a couple days.

2. raleighmojave

raleighmojave New Member

I for 1 would rather ride the Canada side Saturday. My sunday is going to be leave early and ride back to MD (8 hrs or so). Unfortunately I won't have time on Sunday to see the sights. I guess majority rules though.

3. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo New Member

United States
    FYI if you want to make note of this # to call to check the traffic conditions/wait time to get in to USA or to Ca at the sevral ways we have locally 800-715-6722. LOL you guys on the idea Canada Saturday and NY Sunday have me really confused and wondering....Why don't you stay on the Ca side Friday night insted of NY and do Ca Sat and stay NY Sat night and do NY Sunday?

Makes no sense to me with your plans on you have now to stay in NY Friday night and want to ride Ca Sat and stay in NY Sat and ride Ca Sunday. Ya have it backwards.

I would...Just do the side your staying on first then do the other the next since you have plans to stay on the other side the next day. In other words stay with my plan. Ya will see Ca and NY Sat. But just have enough time from what I can see to see the sights.

With the limited time you have to see our area, NY & Ca NF area (which is basically one full day = Sat) you will be short on time to see much of any thing and will only be able to see the highlights of the area. I honestly don't think I will be able to show you any good local roads since we don't have many close to NF NY even with the limited time and want to sight see just not enough time.

Grrr! I came home early from work thinking I was going to be able to do some needed yard work before the weekend and it's raining cats and dogs. FYI we do have rain in the forcast also for the weekend.
    Current Buffalo NEXRAD Radar Map : Weather Underground

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS New Member

United States
    Map
    What time are people arriving at the hotel friday night??

And I'm still confused. We are starting at the NY hotel saturday morning @ 9:30. Are we then immediately crossing the border or staying around buffalo? I'm going to have to leave around noon. Have to be back in cleveland around 7pm, so need time for that.

5. jstanwood

jstanwood New Member

Joe,
    I agree. There were a couple of reasons for those of that are staying on each side of the border a different night to do so. We had hoped to do "fun" riding in NY in the morning, and then work our way to ON in the afternoon to see the Falls. That would naturally put us on the "right" side of the border to get up and leave to ride home the next day.

I think our best bet is to hash this all out Saturday morning, because there are too many conflicting posts, and it's 4 pages past the confusing stage. Not everyone will be happy, but we;ll do our best to accommodate peoples' goals. If we split up into two groups, so be it.

At least 3-5 of us are still planning to meet at the Holiday Inn in NF, NY at 9 and try to leave by 9:30.

6. blackjack_mike

blackjack_mike New Member

Map
    I believe most of us are in agreement to come across to Canada on Saturday at 12 noon. I will be waiting at the Tim Horton's @ 141 Garrison Road (near the intersection of Central Ave and Garrison Rd). This is the closest Tim Hortons to the Peace Bridge. There are 3 on Garrison so make sure you check the address. Bright yellow VFR should be pretty noticable. Both Joe & GoForARide have my cell number. If there are any delays, let me know and I'll have another coffee and wait! We can choose a restaurant for lunch at that time. I have a couple of choices for the route to discuss when we get together over lunch. I look forward to meeting and riding with everyone tomorrow.
    MIKE

7. Joe Foe from Buffalo

United States
    If you can please post the address of that Tim's it will help make sure we all know which one and can put in our GPS's.

8. blackjack_mike

Map
    Posted above in my email but here it is again:

Tim Hortons @ 141 Garrison Road - Fort Erie, Ontario

I will be there at 12 noon on Saturday. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

9. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map

I have no issues with crossing the border Sat morning to ride Ca side. I just don't want to be bouncing around from hotel to hotel. Being the plan is to leave to go home on Sunday, would just make sense to ride NY side sunday and then just head home without crossing any borders. I have GoForARide and Blackjack_mikes numbers and they have mine. Meeting mike at Tim Horton's at noon sounds good. Plenty of time to cross, have a nice morning ride and be there on time. Mapquest says it'll take about an hour to get there so hopefully someone knows a quicker way. See everyone tomorrow.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Best Beer

Best Beer in Niagara Falls NY is at the bar in the hotel ( i forget the name) at Rainbow Blvd North and Old Falls street.

About 1/2 block north of the traffic circle, the place says "Beer from 100 nations," and you can get "Hogs' Breath" Belgian beer on tap !!! Equal to the very best beer i EVER drank !!!

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  11. blackjack_mike

Map
    I have emailed the Ontario VFR Group and I hope that we might have more riders joining us at Tim Hortons in Fort Erie Ontario tomorrow at 12 noon. The more the better! See you all tomorrow! Remember, I'm yellow, not black anymore!
    MIKE

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Doncha know, Mike, that crossing any bridge from US to Canada at noon on a Saturday in May could easily, in the worst case, result in a 1-2 hour delay while caught in Summer Traffic Hell, overheating all the while !!??

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  13. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

hey everyone. great ride. I had fun.

Now i know what my bike is "supposed" to look like. :)

if anyone is interested in a few hours of riding still sunday just give me a call and let me know and we can meet at the holiday inn parking lot at around 1200 am. 269.352.0043

Holiday Inn
    114 BUFFALO AVENUE
    NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14303
    011-716-2852521

14. Joe Foe from Buffalo

United States
    I also had a good time. Also was nice to be with other VFRs and meeting everyone.
    LOL I all most made it home before the rain too (9pm) The way I feel now after my ride home in the rain...I don't think I want to ride my VFR Sunday. LOL may ride the ATV instead. I'm looking forward to the pictures everyone took. We should do this again.

15. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

Im sore all over. Gonna need a brace or two for my wrists, esspicially my injured one. My left collar bone feels the way my right one felt when it got broke. and the cold rain gave me a slight head ach.

So is anyone riding today? give me a call.

joe, atv's sound freakin awsome atm.

mike

16. blackjack_mike

Map
    Awesome ride everyone! Great to finally meet you. Thanks for letting me show you a bit of the area I live in. Let's do this again, for sure! I've put up a gallery of photos from Saturday. Hope you enjoy! Just click on the link below.

Niagara Falls Ride - May 30-09 - VFRworld Photo Gallery

17. Rick123

Rick123 New Member

Ride

Thank you all of you guys! Was planning to come over to USA side, but after rain and wind last nite I have enough. Specially it is windy, like hell, again up here. Have good one guys.

18. Joe Foe from Buffalo

United States
    Goforaride take your time getting home...honestly if I was you I would fix some of the problem area's on your bike before I would try to make the long tip you have to get home and possibly find you and your wife in the middle of no place or not a good place in the rain and cold if you didn't fix it first and no way to fix it. Remember squirrelman has a shop and would be more then willing to help you fix any thing.

19. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Nice pics. Looks like another fun ride.

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    NICE EVENT !!

Cheers to all who helped organize and who attended.

I enjoyed meeting up with all, and hope everyone had a great day.

My odometer showed about 160 miles, and when i got home i was so tired and achey that 1 beer sent me to sleep for 12 hours !!

THE AWARD for Sheer Luck must go to Mike from Kalamazoo for making it at all, and i do hope he made it home; i like rat bikes, but his '86 or '87 looked SO BAD and neglected i wouldn't have ridden it out of my driveway, much less on a long trip. His wife deserves an extra award for her good-natured patience and enthusiasm.

Thanks to those who posted photos !!

Blackjack Mike, your Canadian crew was great, and i shouldn't have worried about border crossing cuz apparently the recession has cut leasure travel so much that the Rainbow bridge crossing took only 1/2 hour, and when i got back to Peace bridge, waiting time was ZERO !!