Newbie questions 2003 VFR 18K miles

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by prichmon, Nov 21, 2009.

1. prichmon

prichmon New Member

I just picked up a 2003 VFR which appears to be in very good shape. I have been looking through the posts trying to learn more about the bike. I need to ask a few questions since my last VFs were Sabres from the mid 80s. Vtec has solved the 1 issue I had of the older bikes. The older ones were just to bland in power delivery. SWEET!!!

I hear a growling that increases with speed in the front end. When i pull in the clutch it is louder than the engine. Is this a normal sound? I have checked the wheel bearings and went ahead and adjusted the chain just in case.

Anyone have any ideas on the sound?

When idling in neutral I hear a chatter from the clutch. When I pull the lever in it goes away. Normal? Odd? don't worry?

Lastly I have seen the idle between 1K-2K even after warm up. Normal?

Thanks All

Rich

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Not sure on the first thing. The sound coming from the clutch is completely normal, they all do it, so nothing to worry about there. The idle should be holding steady at around 1100rpm. Unfortunatly I just know how they should run. I don't know much about how to make them run that way, so I'll let someone who knows more than I fill you in on causes and remedies for the idle.

3. prichmon

prichmon New Member

I'm thinking the noise is actually road noise. The bike is so quiet I think I am hearing for the 1st time on this bike.

Thanks for the reply

Rich

4. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    A nice exhaust will solve that problem ;)

To set the idle down, there is a little plastic knob/screw just below your right knee or thereabouts. A little turn once she's all warmed up should do ya.

Have you changed the oil?

5. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    LOL...I knew that. I may not be a mechanic but give me a little credit. It sounded to me like the idle was fluctuating between 1000 and 2000 r's after warm-up. As in getting an unsteady supply of fuel. My thought was that something was wrong with the auto-choke or the FI.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Make sure the Wiring hardness have been done do to the recall as for the noise, Check your tires.......Some do make more noise than other.
    As for the noise with the clutch.....hummm my is quite only make noise when I shift.
    The idile should drop to 1.1 or 1100 RPM when the engine temp reach to 110°F
    If not adjust the iddle as Elwray said

Good luck ride safe

7. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry :tongue: I should have realized that you knew how to adjust the idle if you knew how to check wheel bearings.

I'm still learning about the VFRs as well (picked up a 2003 myself about 2 months ago) I think the warm up RPMs are controlled by a wax unit, that literally contains wax which is melted by the coolant temps.

What temp is the bike running at? Have you flushed the antifreeze? Could be something wrong with that?

Like I said, still new at this but if you just got the bike yourself then you should try changing the antifreeze. Even if that doesn't solve the problem it's probably a good idea anyways.

8. prichmon

prichmon New Member

I know next to nothing about the 6th gen VFR. So please keep the info coming. I did not know about the idle control knob. Over the winter I will be changing brake fluid, anti freeze and oil.

Thanks all.

Rich